Author Topic: Two old farts racing for the first time.  (Read 13554 times)

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
Re: Two old farts racing for the first time.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
 :-D Very profound statement brother Rat!   Good luck,,,,and be safe!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
Ray, did UBT deliver the BRAVE PILLS that I sent you?

Normal dose for you is one pill. For Jim, give him two.

It's his truck and he'll be hearing noises before the one mile.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
Jim was here a little while ago.  The truck has a decent rumble to it with the Warlock -- and the sneaker plug is still all closed.  Oughta be nice in the morning.  Jim says he's on the way to take all of the "tools" out of it -- I guess he's got everything including the 220VAC three-phase air compressor and most of the Chicago Pee-new-matic tools.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
Did you get a chance to look at Nancy's bike ?/

Online Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
"The truck has a decent rumble to it with the Warlock -- and the sneaker plug is still all closed.  Oughta be nice in the morning."

Is this in code?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
In response to both Joe and Stan's questions:  Yes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »
Jim stopped by our truck earlier -- and said he got the truck up to 112 before giving up the effort.  He was happy, so I guess all was not in vain - even though they really wanted a 130.  He sure seemed happy.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »
Jim stopped by our truck earlier -- and said he got the truck up to 112 before giving up the effort.  He was happy, so I guess all was not in vain - even though they really wanted a 130.  He sure seemed happy.

jIM IS SUPER HAPPY :-D :-D :-D :  !cheers:!  Oh, yeah, we gave them up, after a severe case of the Tavern House Blues,* induced by Barley soup, which I guess is some sort of food.
*(Maybe I'm getting too old for certain sports; my cousin told me so 15 years ago when I was just a young pup of 60 or so.)

I sure learned a lot; namely this sport is not as easy as it appears. Most likely true for most things are done well.

I'm still decompressing and already in withdrawal.  :wink:
As I was heading East on I-80, there were alrady several haulers at the end of the soon to be course for Mike Cook's shootout.

WHAT A GREAT MEET!
Many Thanks to all the vounteers and worker bees that expended efforts above and beyond to make it happen.
And to the fine folks that run the Club, Y'all really done GOOD!
More later; safe running to all.

Regards,
Jim

Offline Freud

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 12:45:48 AM »
JIM....THANKS for bringing Ray Therat out of his shell.

He has multiple talents and he has now shown another facet of his life.

You done pretty good 2.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »
Ray, looked for you and Jim said you were "working"  WTF????

catch you next time!
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »
Well...first off, I'm really sorry I missed ya.  Second, I was working.  I was trying to get shots for landracing...and a few other people.  I feel like I've been at a dead run since July...and I gotta split real early in the ayem to be at the Shootout. 

I'll be posting here...I otta have more time to post updates without having to run from the timing tower to the starting line to the pits and back....and onandonandon....

I'm prolly gonna stay thru Saturday so I can get some still foto coverage of "The World's Fastest Lawnmower" that Dick Lague is shooting.  It could be kinda interesting.  Anything would be better than the Factory Five Cobras that "raced" at Miller's.  Man!  Those suckers were sad.  Yeah, they gotta run a 2.73 gear...but I never heard any of 'em rev over what sounded like 3 grand...maybe 4...maybe. 

I gotta get to bed so's I can get up early.

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »
Ray - I was on the salt as a spectator all day Wed and until noon on Thu and didn't see your truck. If I had, I would have definately stopped over.

I've been working on my GMC Canyon (a sister truck to your Colorado) to run at WOS but didn't get everything done that I wanted to before this years event so I came out to watch. Probably a good thing as I now know how the event runs and what it's really like out there. Next year for sure I'll be running my Canyon.

I saw in several posts that you were concerned about the top speed limiter in the Colorado. That can be disabled via a computer tune using HP Tuner's or EFI Live software. I can give you some leads on where to go for a tune - some firms offer mail order where you send them your computer (or a core) and they will flash it with a performance tune and disable the speed limiter, among other things. I had mine done at Wait-4-Me Performance in Warsaw, IN back in June during a Colorado/Canyon dyno day. It's made a world of difference in how my truck performs.

It would be really cool if there were at least the two of us in similar trucks battling it out next year!

Check out my blog (see my sig below) to see how my build has gone over the summer. My postings have  been sporadic because I was really busy at work but I hope to get back to it as I gear up for the 2011 WOS.

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Online Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »
Mr. Therat --

How fast do you think that thing would really go if the computer wasn't limiting it?  I think you guys got more than I woulda guest.  What's the stock HP?  130???  Hellava effort.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »
Stan - with a K&N intake system, MBRP exhaust and computer tune my four cylinder Canyon is putting out 188 HP at the rear wheels as recorded on a Mustang dyno. I've lowered the truck a couple of inches and figure that along with some aero tweaks should be good for about 115 mph in the mile. Anything more than that is a bonus in my book.
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
Mr. Therat --

How fast do you think that thing would really go if the computer wasn't limiting it?  I think you guys got more than I woulda guest.  What's the stock HP?  130???  Hellava effort.

Stan Back

We got the computer limit problem solved.  I unplugged the VSS sensor at the transmission.  Lost the speedometer for those runs, but had the GPS.  I think the stock hp is rated at 180, but based on fross's dyno reading the rwhp is considerably less.  Jim made a seat-of-the-pants guess at 20 hp gain from the bolt-ons...it's hard to say what my subjective guess would be, but I'd put it between 150 and 200.

Jim got 112 out of it and I got 110.  I'd agree with rfross that lowering should help a little.  We were gonna disconnect the fan and tape up the front end, but ran out of runs due to the VSS thing.  Jim is looking into some other modifications as over the winter projects, and I'm hoping to have my Monte Carlo there.  130 otta be real easy for it.  150 in street trim might be a little more interesting.  we'll just have to see, huh?