Author Topic: Two old farts racing for the first time.  (Read 13551 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Two old farts racing for the first time.
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:55 PM »
Where to start.  Ok...the old farts.  That would be me (Ray the Rat) and my buddy Jim Halladay (aka Texican.)  We both wanna race big time.  I started a project with my 85 Monte Carlo SS a long time ago.  Life got in the way.  My health failed.  Quad bypass that became single bypass in 4 months and then the loss of my wife.  Life happens.  So there's this 70 percent complete Monte Carlo with a big fat roller cam, AFR head 406 and a buncha other goodies in the suspension, TC, transmission, etc. 

But we got a late start on it this year so we had to resort to Plan B.  That being Jim's 2009 Chevy Colorado truck with a 2.9L motor and 5-speed trans.  Problem was (among other things) a rev limiter and possibly a speed limiter.  We'll get to that in a bit.  We started like all shade tree mechanics by putting some performance stickers on it.  Hey...all them NASCAR guys got tons of stickers.  We can use a few.

In the 4th foto, Jim's applying a Target 550 sticker so we can fly the flag of the site where I do my web elfery. 

continued...

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Two old farts racing for the first time.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »
I have always loved the Monte Carlo SS such as yours!!  Such beautiful lines on that car.

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:27:03 AM »
That boy, Jim, got good blood in him.

Thanks for the advertising.

None on a NASCAR so far as I no.

By the way....think the Burb can tow that truck home from Bendover?

One of u gonna break it.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:27:45 AM »
Heck buddy you feelin' froggy I'll let you drive my Fiat.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
That boy, Jim, got good blood in him.

We both got good blood all over the truck.  Every time we found a sharp edge, we made a blood sacrifice.

Thanks for the advertising.

I couldn't think of a better use for the sticker.  We'll have to add some landracing.com stickers, too.

None on a NASCAR so far as I no.

I can't think of any, no.

By the way....think the Burb can tow that truck home from Bendover?

One of u gonna break it.

FREUD

Hush your mouth!  I know the Burb can tow it and we have a trailer.  (refer to our redneck trailer episode.)

Ain't nobody gonna break that sucker.  Bad karma for even thinkin that.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:48:20 AM »
I fell asleep before I could get to the rest of it. Since RLS woke me up, I'll continue for a while.

We even got a bit of sponsorship from a local garage.  And they had the stickers made up and applied 'em.

Once we got the speed parts stickers, it was time to do something constructive...like start gettin the speed parts together and installed.  We fell back on my experience with Warlock mufflers on the Monte Carlo.  They worked very well for me when I drag raced the car.  So we bought one for the Colorado and decided that we'd install it ourselves.  Shortly after looking things over I offered to pay to have a muffler shop install it.  Only smart thing I did all dammned day.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Flowtech/Product-Line/FlowTech-Warlock-Bypass-Series-Mufflers/?autoview=SKU

We ended up with a straight pipe that exits just in front of the rear wheel.  Best hunnert bux I ever spent.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:09:03 AM »
We removed the passenger seat so we could mount the fire extinguisher.

Then we installed the "performance chip."  I've never used one of this brand.  It better override the governor or we'll each get 5 98 mph passes.  I could do that in my Burb....maybe even 99 before the governor kicks in.

And then it really went to helll.  Any self-respecting Chebby motor otta have its thermostat at the end of the upper radiator hose where God intended it to be.  No.  This POS Vortec DOHC 4-banger has it at the housing where the lower hose connects.  I misread the manual (3 frikkin times) and overlooked that.  The bitch is that I can't blame it on anyone but myself.  About 8:30 pm (we started around 7 am) we decided to call it a day and finish up (we hope) in the morning.  I can't begin to enumerate the number of times we resorted to "Rocky Mountain Cursing" as a method of appeasing the gods of things mechanical...but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

We'd played around with ideas for the team name and finally decided to use one I'd come up with for the Monte Carlo project years ago: Fox Paws Racing.  Fox Paws had been my "handle" for years in the early days of the internet before Al Gore invented it and I figgered that it might be time to resurrect it.  After Monday's thrash/crash session the name just seemed appropriate.

The UBT (Ugly Brown Truck) is supposed to deliver a K&N intake snorkel sometime Tuesday.  Whether that gets installed before the truck heads for the the salt is anyone's guess.  It may just be a last minute thing on the salt. 

Stay tuned for more reports of two crazy old men's stealth, treachery and ineptitude as the saga continues.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:45:10 AM »
I have always loved the Monte Carlo SS such as yours!!  Such beautiful lines on that car.

I have to agree with you.  I wanted one from the first time I saw an SS advertised in 1984.  I had to wait for about 10 years before I got one for various reasons.  I've owned that one for quite a long time in different incarnations.

Matter of fact, I've owned 4 or 5 of 'em including an Aerocoupe that I never should have sold.  It was an 87...they only made 6500 of 'em and I got that one at a bargain basement price because the seller and I both believed it had a flat cam.  No, it was a cracked vacuum line.  But it was possessed of evil spirits.  I musta had the instrument cluster in and out 30 times tryin to get the gauges and dash lights to work properly.  And every time I did that, I'd lose another chunk of skin on my hands and bleed on it again.  It had to be possessed.  No simple mechanical device could have been that bloodthirsty.  When I finally got everything working, including the red LED dash lights I made one of the more profound discoveries of my life.  Well, I should say re-discovered something I'd learned years before in basic electronics training: you can't dim an LED.  Once the voltage across it drops below the bias level, it stops conducting.  Period.  On or off.  Maybe by this time someone has come up with something that will work for that use, but 10 years ago I got retraining in something I'd learned 35 years before.

There's the whole story of that car here:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/85monte/Welcome.html

The way it sits now, it has a roller-cam, AFR head 406, street/strip 3500 RPM stall TC/TH200-4R transmission, a buncha poly bushings underneath here and there, Delrin/aluminum bushings in the control arms (front and rear), Eibach springs, KYB shocks and so on.  It'd probably make a better start on a pro-touring type thing, but I was halfway into it when I caught a bad case of salt fever.  It's been downhill since then.

Oh...I also had another 87, a Notchback that I owned for quite a long time.  There were 2 things I didn't like about it: 1) it was white and 2) it had a column shift.  I know those things could have been easily rectified, but since my wife drove it...well, I didn't worry about it too much.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
Unh, Ray, I've gotta be honest with the folks here on the Forum.  They need a reminder of the last project you two yah-hoos built:

Sorry-- I just couldn't help it.  I know -- I'll say it was Nancy's idea to post that picture of the Tiltin' Hilton trailer. . .

Nah, I can't do that -- it's my idea.  But, ladies and germs, keep in mind that they labored for days on this photo scaffold.  Maybe working faster, on Jim's truck, will make it turn out better. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »
Now that's a nice trailer/scaffold set up thingy. Yeah,  LOL!

Offline Texican

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:42:35 PM »
This is the Rat on Texican's computer.  Even tho the trailer was a redneck special, it accomplished what I wanted to.  I was able to get up on it with my camera and tripod and get long exposures before and at dawn.  That's all I really wanted to use it for.  And it worked...although we sure could have spent less time and effort on it if...well, if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas...or so said Tom Sneva many years ago.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 12:15:32 AM »
It's 10 peeyem.  I just got back to my house.  The race truck is ready...as ready as it's gonna be.  If I listed all that went right/wrong/left...whatever, it'd take me all night. 

The attached foto is of the rear wheel spinning at about 100 mph which drove the stability/traction control nuts, but it's running and we picked up another sponsor, as seen by the sticker.  Jeff, who runs the place bailed us out big time.  So here's a plug for him:
http://www.nutboltanchor.com/

We had gone to another nut/bolt place and got there just at 5 peeyem.  Their door was locked.  Jeff's door (next door) at Nut Bolt & Anchor was open because he stays open an extra hour in the evening.  So if ya need something after 5, well...ya know where to get it. 

I gotta choke down a 5-hour energy drink, jump in the shower, pack my stuff and Pork Pie's stuff and drive to Wendover.  I'll get there sometime around 1 am.  I hope.

We may screw up, but we don't give up.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 03:57:38 AM »
Got to the motel in Wendover.  All is A-OK at this end...we'll see what happens tomorrow when Jim brings the truck out.

must sleep now.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:01:10 AM »
Ray ... looking forward to the photos .... Joe

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:21 AM »
Ray,

"We may screw up, but we don't give up" - I like that attitude!

Ed