Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171469 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #585 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »
Yessirree, I'll be there.....actually I was there last night ....knocked a bit more of the body flat,the last paint job that the car had was as quick as has ever been done, this time round I'll be adding a little finesse( now, I said LITTLE,take note all you show car guys)....there are parts of it that need metal work to be top class and that definitley won't be happening for this meet but all in all it will be a vast improvement. The Rev bought a different shade for the "white"this time around....it's a pinkish cream if you ask me and the red is a much brighter red than we had last time ......it's gonna be , er , different.

Last night I also managed to nail something that had been a bugbear.......the solenoid cable release for the parachute needed to be reset everytime we tried to repack it so it obviously needed a spring return because there is no way of getting to that part of the innards when the body is on, it didn't take long and it works a treat.

On the weekend we also changed the anchor point for the 'chute . We used a piece of 1 5/8 tubing as a saddle and bulked up the superstructure behind the chute bucket.We also deepened the bucket as it had always been a struggle to pack the chute into the space we had and I was worried that it put too much pressure on the doors, feeling much better about the whole arrangement now....here is the new anchor

I have also been making a few heat shields, the gear shift cables, the flexible clutch line and the chute solenoid amongst others. I've made all but one out of polished aluminium, one out of stainless..primarily to defeat or at least reduce the effect of radiant heat from the headers.

more soon.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:23:05 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #586 on: February 23, 2009, 02:25:35 AM »
Race track has been visited and approved. We are going!

... although the Mrs is freakin' out because we have NO money and baby will only be a few weeks away, I'm changing jobs, we're moving everything to the farm, everything is burning, there is no water and there is a financial crisis.

I say given all of the above it would be crazy not to go...

rH+
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:28:05 AM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #587 on: February 23, 2009, 02:27:41 AM »
go get a record buddy!
kent

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #588 on: February 23, 2009, 02:31:43 AM »
Thanks Kent, will try to. There are two that we are hoping to tackle this trip.

First the Australian record for EGL class which stands at 146mph (3.8L engine, gasolene, Lakester)

Then the EFL class which is open at present. (3.8L engine, fuel, Lakester)

This means we both wont be arguing over who drives last and holds onto the record.

The above is if all goes well, really, just getting it there will be worth it, and if we can have a couple of runs without incident that would be great.

rH+

Offline Geo

« Reply #589 on: February 23, 2009, 09:03:14 AM »
We're pulling for you to have a great time!

Be safe, go fast!

Geo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #590 on: February 23, 2009, 09:10:43 AM »
Doc, Be safe, have fun and go fast
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #591 on: February 23, 2009, 09:43:14 AM »
Go, guys, go!  Be fast and be safe!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #592 on: February 23, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »
Guys that is great.  Have a good time and be safe,

Sum

Offline hitz

« Reply #593 on: February 24, 2009, 01:46:35 AM »
Rev and DR. G

Good luck to both of you. You've overcome a lot of obstacles to earn some good rides. Be safe, go fast.

Harvey

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #594 on: February 24, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
. . . the Mrs is freakin' out because we have NO money and baby will only be a few weeks away, I'm changing jobs, we're moving everything to the farm, everything is burning, there is no water and there is a financial crisis.

I say given all of the above it would be crazy not to go...

rH+

Sounds to me like you could use a diversion. :-D  Wishing you success and fun.

Safety Fast!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #595 on: February 24, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »
Spoken like a true racer! Good luck. Race safe and fast.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #596 on: February 24, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
About the time I turned 40 :-(---over a 1/4 century ago :-D  I pondered the Creedo by which to live the rest of my life by.

MY final results----The COURAGE to live the rest of my Life so that when I exited--- I whould have no MAJOR  " Well I wonder WHAT IFS"!!!!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Run that PUPPY  :evil: ---I PROMISE- :evil:--you will not regret it!! :-D---in the LONG run!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #597 on: February 24, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »
I'm all happied up that you get to run.  :-D Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #598 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:38 AM »
Aw shucks, I don't know what to say ....even Kent was nice to us  :-D :-D....We've really enjoyed this site since we started the Australian Bellytank thread and the support ,advice , humor and friendship has been fantastic . We've solved problems and made improvements from advice we've got here, we've been inspired by some really big names in the game here and we've had a huge laugh.

Now it's time to get it out ......and use it for what it was meant for.

We've suffered a bit of adversity and had some lucky breaks, and some , er unlucky breaks :oops: Both of us are up against it money wise....due to a misunderstanding about family planning the good Rev has a birth imminent......but a racing we will go...

When I get back you will be hearing all about it, trust me , all about it. I've also been roped to write a six page salt article for Australian Motorcycle News so you'll be seeing that too I guess....I'm gonna be a busy little boy.

I've been out in the backyard painting panels after work....I'm such a genius that when I masked off the line to put the cream on the front I laid the tape on the wrong side of the line( on both sides of course)........and it's too cold to be painting.......just like it was too hot when I did the red( they say if you don't like Melbourne weather you should wait five minutes).........it'll get there.

Thanks everyone ,legends, beginners ,cards and hounds for the encouragement.....we've still got ten days before we go but we need twenty.

I'll post again before we go :wink: :wink: :wink:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #599 on: February 25, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »
For the record, the family was planned, we just don't have a name.

Any good names anyone can think of for a girl who will grow up to be a Formula One world title holder (if daddy has his way).

Chevrolet von Pomborneit has a nice ring to it...