Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3186209 times)

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2008, 08:59:21 PM »
Dr. G.

So for Belly Tank Day, to mow your lawn all we need is a can of gas and a match, right? I thought that's how ya'll did it down under... :-D

As far as history goes, we do have quite a bit in common. You started with convict labor, we ended up with convict politicians... :? I really enjoyed my time down under and sorry I couldn't hook up with you but maybe see if you could get rid of the fly's for next time. The dung beetles aren't workin.  :-o

Back to point. It looks like you're making good progress and good Lord willin, I'll make it back to see you run.

Yours in speed, Larry

Rev, you beat me to the post, I'll check it out, you guy's have an awsome history as well.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2008, 05:23:55 AM »
/The feeling of animal muscle was a good feeling.
rH+
Speed Deacon

sheesh , what church are you FROM????????...........

BTW it seems the holy telephone is on the blink my holy man.....either that or my SMS's have been diverted to your accountant....I bought the color today ( sting red) and I picked up the 'chute , it's great ,but, my wallet is a weeping sore and requires dressing . In another development it seems that the pieces made to seal the lower firewall area need to be "modified " as the engine bay tub won't go back on ( I.S.Y.N)......ain't lookin' forward to getting that right.

hey Larry we'll see you when you get here , .....that's ok , I only stood out the front lookin' up and down the road for a day or so......

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:38:46 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank and Ignorami
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2008, 06:56:42 AM »
I don't think that's quite accurate Grumm... I reckon a tool is a more of a tosser than a fool is, a fool is just an ignoramus.

I used to work at this Ducati shop 'bout 12 years ago and some clown came in and called one of us an "Igarus"???

I believe the reply was "not as big of an Igarus as you mate."
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

Re: Australian Belly Tank and Ignorami
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »
I used to work at this Ducati shop 'bout 12 years ago and some clown came in and called one of us an "Igarus"???
I believe the reply was "not as big of an Igarus as you mate."

.wasn't Igarus the guy who made his own wings......?......and then his max welted , something like that anyway........Or was he the guy who fronted the Stooges?

anyway , better an ignoramus than an ignoranus , cause they're just full of it..
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

The Midnight hour looms............
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2008, 06:19:07 AM »
It's 27 days according to PJQ and that's not much....Today I took the tail off and started to zip everything up around the fuel tank . There was a tiny leak around the fuel line at the bottom of the tank and I hadn't yet made a mount for the fuel filter. I did those things and then lagged all the lines in the tail section with fibreglass ( that's how we spell it here) and foil tubing . I made a better breather too, it goes to a hole in the floor so that there is no chance of it spewing fuel onto the exhaust which is what I suspect may have happened at the T&T day.....I won't elaborate on what else happened to that breather but suffice to say I think a steel one is better and it is very well secured too.After that I replaced the cement sheet and aluminium sandwich which we made to act as a heat shield over the exhaust union  At the airstrip test and tune day we hadn't yet put a floor in the tail section ( a triangular piece a yard long and six inches at the front)and as the original fuel tank went much further back and down ,the exhaust hung very low , so low in fact that it turns out that it won't fit now I have put a floor in.The other issue with the exhaust is that it has a long unsupported section from the union behind the rear bulkhead to the tip of the tail .This has been a source of some friction between the Rev and I , If there was any superstructure there it would be easy to keep the pipe where we want it .....However because the bodywork needs to be taken off in order to weld the pipe when adjustments are made it becomes a tedious and imprecise .....The Rev bought a flexible section , which of course won't solve the problem ...because, the pipe is unsupported ....are ya gettin me? I had one of those moments late this afternoon when I thought to myself  " pack up now, you're annoyed and you'll end up wrecking something..."

Tomorrow I go and buy another piece of 3inch exhaust tube and , make , another tail-pipe :x The only saving grace is that with the doors cut for the 'chute I can do it all from the top ....and compared to lying underneath the car that's bloody luxury . 

I 've also been tidying up the axle shrouds on the tail section , they look great ....they make it nearly impossible to get it on and off now.... :oops:..... In time we will have this all sussed out , maybe cutting the tail section into two pieces might be the solution, but the time is not now........another job on the card today was a tinker with the canopy latches , the Rev had made some bungs that I hadn't got around to which the skin mounts onto the frame around the screen with .Of course as soon as you even look at the canopy the latches get fussy....I gave the cable release a bit more slack a they seem to be better than ever now.....

On the weekend the Rev made a cover for the gearshift which has graduated from prototype to bimbotype( dunno if it works any better but it looks great) , we have the new aluminium sticks and lock-out shaft. The new steering wheel has been kidnapped by Vaughn our tame fitter and turner in order to tart it up and finish off the center cap he made for it , it certainly looks better than the cut down and bent Mazda wheel we had.......even if it was just hacked out of 10mm plate by a hill-billy with a jig-saw( moi :wink:)...right now that's about all i can think of...........but there is I can assure you all , more to come :wink: :wink:

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Re: The Midnight hour looms............
« Reply #410 on: February 04, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
.....The Rev bought a flexible section , which of course won't solve the problem ...because, the pipe is unsupported ....are ya gettin me? I had one of those moments late this afternoon when I thought to myself  " pack up now, you're annoyed and you'll end up wrecking something..."

I said it before and I'll say it again... the tail section can hold the pipe!!! You just need to get the other end remotely near the centreline of the car (and we can put superstructure at the rear of the diff).

Now get back into that shed and don't break anything. If the option is using a grinder or hitting it with a hammer, use the grinder.

Sheesh, talk about airing dirty laundry!!!

reverend "H" gash

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: The Midnight hour looms............
« Reply #411 on: February 04, 2008, 11:23:06 PM »
.....The Rev bought a flexible section , which of course won't solve the problem ...because, the pipe is unsupported ....are ya gettin me? I had one of those moments late this afternoon when I thought to myself  " pack up now, you're annoyed and you'll end up wrecking something..."

I said it before and I'll say it again... the tail section can hold the pipe!!! You just need to get the other end remotely near the centreline of the car (and we can put superstructure at the rear of the diff).

Now get back into that shed and don't break anything. If the option is using a grinder or hitting it with a hammer, use the grinder.

Sheesh, talk about airing dirty laundry!!!

reverend "H" gash

You guys going to the salt in the same vehicle  8-).  How long does it take to get there  :evil:  At least you're not married  :-P,

Sum

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2008, 12:53:26 AM »
Work on something else - put the chute aside till next week - we've got the club meeting on Sundee, and an afternoon of bench racing BS. That'll invigorate the soul, fuel the grey matter, activate the engineering genes.

I'm driving that crazy Queenslander #66 to the airport after the club meet. If you don't behave we'll drop around for a look-see and you'll cop a load of his opinionated rhetoric. That thought's enough to slap anybody into line.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2008, 02:35:07 AM »
Not married you say, but they have a baby ?! :?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dr Goggles

Alum,money, livin' in sin...
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »
I'm not going near that whole get up of marriage jokes , sure it's a mich rein to vine or whatever but there's more impotent things at hand ( :oops:)....
Work on something else - put the chute aside till next week - we've got the club meeting on Sundee, and an afternoon of bench racing BS. That'll invigorate the soul, fuel the grey matter, activate the engineering genes.
I'm driving that crazy Queenslander #66 to the airport after the club meet. If you don't behave we'll drop around for a look-see and you'll cop a load of his opinionated rhetoric. That thought's enough to slap anybody into line.

right now I can't put anything to the side ...I've started from the back and am assembling the car to ready it for paint , the tightening of gaps has brought up some fiment/mounting issues that weren't there before and I need enough "clearance " so as not to destroy the paintwork during any dismantling .I haven't yet made the cable release for the chute but other than that the tail is done . Next is the gearbox breather , then the additional extinguisher lines , a new idler for the belt( the one we have isn't beefy enough and was the probable cause of a spat belt at Mangalore).

As for Bob , I'm going to get a bourbon and coke can , put some marbles in it so it's noisy and hang it off a long rubber band in the shed , he'll be so distracted he won't be able to talk let alone bother us about the tank......

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #415 on: February 06, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »

,...... , ..., OK , enough of that :roll:
today I put in a concealed catch on the 'chute doors and did a rough installation of a solenoid to trip it , which ,much to my delight, worked first time  :-D

However in a moment of light relief before I put the solenoid on I had a piece of mig wire attached to it , I packed the 'chute in , loaded the drogue on top( I need to do some weight training) and managed to get the doors shut and engage the catch .So , I'm standing there staring at it , wire in my hand ( I'd already unlatched it a few times without the 'chute in there) and thought  " gee , that fit could be a little tighter" and lent in to look at it ...

I got THAT close I swear before a voice in my head said " s*&#t don't pull it now"...... I get the feeling my dear departed father was somehow tugging on my elbow trying to pull the catch so the drogue got me square in the face....

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #416 on: February 06, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
Good thing you were wearing goggles :-D :-D :-D

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #417 on: February 09, 2008, 03:06:33 AM »
....as I just posted elsewhere on this forum ,there is ,at this moment a hold on Lake Gairdner 2008 , the surface is soft , there may be a re-schedule but it doesn't look good.

I am very sad.

Just this afternoon we had Geoff Izzard ( a new DLRA member and lakester builder ) and his dad Ken over to check out the car.....Ken is a well known midget builder ...I came inside and sat down to check out the forums , particularly the update on the surface at Gairdner and the news was bad , all bad. :-(

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #418 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »
DG and group from down under, maybe they will just give you another month to get finished.  I saw everyone was "getting pissed"  and then remembered that might mean you are drinking....  :|

If you do get "wetted" out, start looking at the car for improvements and a nice stretch of road to do a little more testing...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #419 on: February 09, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »
This should reaffirm your resolve to put together some Maxton type events that will serve to bring the club closer together and take the edge off of the disappointment the weather cycle has to offer.
You are still at the "baby steps" phase and at least your Salt Flat is not subject to man made deterioration (politricks included) as well as the weather.
Bonneville has the reputation for being the tallest kid on the block, but too tall approaches "Geek" status , and a lot of the real trouble is right at your feet.
A blast down a public road to test what you built or get it out of your system is a bad idea for a lot of reasons you already know better.
Use the energy to put together smaller events that will work towards getting everything together for the long course. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"