Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171987 times)

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2007, 11:56:40 PM »
No wukka's Freud,
I bang this keyboard with one good finger (one of the film crew flipped the lights on - surprised Pussy!!!)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:08:28 AM by PJQ »
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Tanks first outing
« Reply #301 on: October 27, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »
Early start yesterday morning, the car had been put on the trailer the night before and all that remained was to load up the tools , fuel ,water and other sundry bit and bobs and hit the road.Mangalore is about 60 miles north of Melbourne and it freeway all the way , I picked up the Colonel and we were on the way...some of you will be pleased to note that we played Dwight Yoakam's "Guitars , Cadillacs" most of the way there....

We had a few friends and family who rolled up to watch , mostly I think they were there to confirm their own suspicions .......camera's abounded , my 80 year old mum was there telling all who'd listen stories about me as a kid and monitoring the "coarse talk". The Reverend's name is "Dik" , my mother steadfastly refuses to call him that , she calls him Richard.. :wink:

There were about eight other cars there when we arrived as well as three bikes , the factory blown Vincent from Adelaide owned by the Penn's and Greg Watters with an R1 he just picked up still with grind marks on the tailpipe and lights from being flipped , Greg did a couple of runs around 250km/h(~158mph) .Spook had his Trumper there but wasn't entirely happy with the tune he had going and didn't get to wring it's neck but gee it looked a treat.Rod and Carol Hadfield were there with his new HAMBster  ,Brian Nicholson and the Moe boys, David Partridge with his indescribably violent sounding RX7 which I have renamed ( unofficially) as "Swearing Around Children" because no-one wants to hear it. Max Ellery was there with his Commodore he got in some runs around 120mph and was happy with what he's done with the car, there was a new streamliner sans bodywork with a Toyota twin cam 1600 that got a lot of attention owned by a Graeme who's surname I missed and a couple of cars with number plates on 'em.Graeme's streamliner was a little "wanting" in the electrical department , our Colonel , who's a Graham himself felt a kinship bond and got it sorted out , he's a genius. Sadly Norm Bradshaw who organised the booking of the airport and has run an early Mustang with a 499 that's gone about 210 til recently couldn't get his new car there due to engine management issues and a near disastrous fire the night before .Norm's new car is a late model Falcon dressed up as a taxi with a big block Ford and a turbo "big enough to put your head in " , still Norm had a good day and his booking didn't go to waste and I think the hat that got passed around covered him.

We got the tank off the trailer pretty quickly and put some juice in it , made a few checks and fired it up ...it sounded a bit rough and then started shutting down, fuel?? I changed the fuel filter as the tank is new and it had had a crumby one in it previously...turns out the MAP sensor wasn't properly plugged in...try again ,still a bit rough, oops , two leads were mixed up!!!!! , try again ...r,r,r,r,r...poop, is the battery flat? huh? we pull up PJQ's car next to it and get the jumpers out...this is embarrassing. The alternator is either dead or we've got a wiring problem...it takes the Colonel about three minutes to work out that there's a broken wire....it's sorted......now it starts , now it sounds good....we pushed it back to the start of the taxi-way that we're parked on ( on the way it runs over my foot and wrenches my hip....no-one noticed. :oops:) and I jump in and give it a little test , it REALLY goes!!!!!....roll it back and another little test. Right! , it's on. I get the suit on and we get ready , Greg Watters goes down and checks with the guys at the end of the taxi-way , we're on.  I get it down there and start struggling with the gear shift , if you bend your wrist inwards and hold it up near the right side of your chest where it feels like it has no strength then it is where our gear stick is.....grind , screech , grind , clunk... my leg is already tired.......a hand signal and I turn left out onto the runway .Rod Hadfield had said " just take your time and have a few looks at it all and find the rough bits before you get into it"....I'm in third and I can't tell where I am on the track ...I can't see the line , I can't even tell the grass from the rougher tarmac at the edge ...F#%&* it I think and give it some throttle ...it takes off ...ahh ,there's the line over there , man it's rough but the car is great , it wants to go straight , and fast .I see some cones and get on the brakes , well at least that's what they're called...I manage to get it back into second and get off the clutch and put all my strength into the brake pedal ...it slows enough to be able to swing around the cones ...I'm ah kind of excited at this point and have a little trouble getting my s#%* together ....off again this time I get it into fourth as I go past the end of the taxiway though I'm probably around 2000rpm , it's just chugging , apparently the radar trap that has been set up registers 119km/h( about 70) I turn at the other end and two things hit me ...I can barely breathe as the fumes are so strong in the cab and my legs are nearly shot from being tense and trying to work the pedals........I overshoot the turn off and pull up and pop the canopy.

Back at the pit we work out the fume problem and cut a little "smile" vent in the nose to pressurize the cab ,further work will need to be done to seal the body against the frame.The gear shift will need to be sweeter and there will need to be changes to the geometry and hydraulic ratios of the brakes and clutch.....but apart from that IT'S FANTASTIC....... :-D :-D :-D

The Rev suits up. After noticing that the cable mount of the gearshift looks fatigued( turns out I tacked it in position when I was setting it up and never ever went back, oops)we decide to get him to run in third only.......he does six passes and returns completely buzzed . I got back in and gave it a bit of curry , I'm too far over for the speed trap to register but I'm in fourth and well over three grand the runway has several really sharp bumps that are jarring ... I overshoot at the end despite turning it off and getting both feet on the brake pedal, when I finally do swing it around I flick the switch and it blasts off again , I might get to like this .when I get back in the temp gauge reads 200 , when we take the cowl off we realize she's thrown the belt.....we deal with that and send the Reverend out for another run, he canes it and comes back with a grin from ear to ear ....we were both thrilled.

Apart from a water leak from a dodgily installed sender( me) a gearbox oil leak ( a breather will help) and the fume problem it went astoundingly well.

more will follow.

here's a shot of the car with PJQ in the background ,The Colonel , the Reverend in his Hedgash overalls and me in the suit...gee we had fun.

the new nose vent , Goggles pushing , Amber( Lady Hedgash) and Michelle( I play in her fella's band)

Animal and his Mrs , Carol Hadfield ,Rod , the Col. and the Dr.

The Rev zooms by...

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Dr Goggles

Village people??
« Reply #302 on: October 27, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »
Goggles I have no problems with you as an aluminium welder, I blame myself in fact for what must have been miscommunication on my behalf when I said weld together the aluminium petrol tank it must have sounded like turn it into a colander...
Oh that's OK Rev.... I probably wasn't listening properly ...more likely I was staring at your get-up......you did look rather fetching though.....

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 09:00:24 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #303 on: October 27, 2007, 10:10:30 PM »
Notes and pictures become articles, articles become books, books become films, and most of them are soon gone.
This is the adventure of a lifetime and beyond.
It is a real study of how it is done rather than how to do it.
The lesson is the real value.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hitz

« Reply #304 on: October 28, 2007, 02:09:52 AM »

Congrats to the Rev, Doctor and the Col,

First ride and it even wants to go straight! Looks like you all were having a good time at the airport.

There will be plenty of people cheering for you this coming March from the States because of the way you kept us up to date on this forum.

Good on you! :-D

Harvey

Offline Dr Goggles

here , shake my hand
« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2007, 02:22:48 AM »
Colonel Grumm took this shot after I'd just gone for a twenty yard test roll...it'd been a few years coming this moment , for the uninitiated it's Dr Goggles on the left and Reverend Hedgash on the right....with his back turned is Ben "emu Ben!" James who runs an old style Kwaka Z1 and a Duke Darmah ,he's an old mate of mine who I talked into going to the lake when we first got started ....on the way home that first year Ben said  " you know Stew ( I'm James Stewart , they all call me Stew') I only came because I told I would , you know it' cost a fair bit and even up til the last day I was really wondering whether it was worth it"... I gave Ben the sort of " what's your point" look and said ..."and?"....Ben said , "well even if you die Stew , I'm comin' back next year!"...he loves it.....

there'll be more

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2007, 07:47:47 AM »

Shots of other cars at the Mangalore salt teaser can be found over here...
http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:43:42 PM by PJQ »
Regards,
PJQ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2007, 10:51:02 AM »
Hey guys you finally turned a wheel!!!  I just can't hardly wait myself.  You guys have come a long ways and I can just imagine all of the smiles that must have been on your faces.

getting both feet on the brake pedal

Sounds like it might be time to get a chute on that car,

Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »
ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC!!!! The car is "sooo bitchen!" and it runs!! Congrates to you and your efforts. As Hinz says we will all have you in mind come March. Best of luck! and again congratualtions on getting it done and wheels turning!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Mangalore report
« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »
Fantastic day, went over to the shed yesterday and both of us were still smiling about it.

Three things that were in the back of my mind that needed to be proven on the car were the steering, vibration issues (after witnessing Wazavoodoo's short season in 2004) and engine issues at high revs.

The steering was very good in that it wanted to go in a straight line and any adjustment was responsive in a very predictable and positive way. The turning circle was large as expected but small enough to be able to U-turn on the runway without assistance or going over onto the gravel which is probably the ideal balance. Looks like a grader turning the way they fold over with the 30 degree castor. Our new front hubs proved them selves happily true too.

Good news about vibration is that there wasn't any discernible. The VN V6  is stock and hasn't been blueprinted or anything, just a minor porting by the Colonel and an extra throttle slapped on. I am sure our earlier option of the Buick V6 could have been less smooth as it didn't have the balanced shaft or roller rockers as standard..)

At high rev's it just wanted to keep going (as did we) but knowing there was an end to the track with an active runway going crossways with planes landing made us keep the horses in the back paddock until March. No fuel starvation issues were apparent so our plumbing, anti cavitation tank, fast flow filter and pump were all up to scratch.

It also sounded great! Definately a V6 with that odd rhythm but with a lovely mean note which someone described like an old prop plane which I kind of liked.

It therefore passed the major tests we needed.

Things we need to look into:

As mentioned by the Doc, gear selection, fumes getting into the cabin, and brakes (not such an issue at Gairdner!).

Getting in and out of the car was a bit of a squeeze (both of us putting on weight...) and so a seat redesign is in order.

Simple things like practicing the technique of getting the seatbelts on and correctly adjusted so that we don't spend too long in our race suit and thermals and can concentrate on the run more.

We also learnt a bit about just getting the car on and off the trailer which will help our trailer design still on the drawing board.

On Mangalore:

The track itself is probably about as perfect as you would want for a test day. It is long and smooth enough to check all that you'd want to check, but short enough (and rough enough) so that it isn't about setting records. "Self Limiting" was the term Steve Barnett used when I described it to him and I think that's a perfect description of the site.

I think this is an important point that if we continue with Mangalore (and I absolutely think we should) that it is seen as a test day only and for DLRA members only. Otherwise we'll have every dickhead with their off the shelf fast car out there doing burnouts very quickly, insurance problems, and worse waiting queues of gawd knows how long.

As it was it was a very friendly day of have a fiddle, take it out for a trundle and see if it worked come back for a blurt and another twiddle.

Thanks so much for all involved in organising the day, especially Norm who I am sure will surpass the current teething pains.

Reverend H+
EGL Mangalore 132kph (in third)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:50:41 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2007, 11:23:04 PM »
Doc Goggle's Mum.

She's real proud of the tank and was rambling about what it'll do at the salt, eyeing-off the large bag of Mexican Chilly corn chips I was holding.

Devouring them like a school kid who's not allowed to have sweets - the coughing started - face red as a new Chev block, the orange foam ear plugs popped out like Champers corks, and she was leaning forward - arms waving in the air - fists clenching handfuls of CC's. Thank Christ Goggle's sister and the other girls were there to administer resuscitation. I was glared at - tried and found guilty - slinking away, leaving the evidence on the picnic table.

Later, sitting with Club Animal in his jocks (whisky-cola mixer in hand), we watched the tank bounce along the runway. Animal let fly a commentary on each run that would make a Digger blush. She'd nod or frown in response, taking it in her stride.

"That sheila's tough as a girder-bender" my old Pops would've said in compliment.
Sorry about feeding Chilly Chips to your Mum.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 11:30:22 PM by PJQ »
Regards,
PJQ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #311 on: October 29, 2007, 07:02:38 AM »
congrats---all around---sounds like a very sucessful firt run outing---did you let your mom cristen the tank?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #312 on: October 29, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
Part of the value of the test was the learning process that had all the right stuff go wrong.
None of it was beyond your ability to fix it, get in some seat time, and identify some things that you want to improve on.
Welcome to the forevers, and realize that such excellent reporting is of substantial value for others that ranges from shifter installation to Mexican chip distribution.
I bet a more complete diet review will be part of the "Pit Tootsie"  pre-event maintenance in the future.
It is good to not make the same mistake the first time, but it is better to be able to fix it easy, because you are going to do it anyway.:wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #313 on: October 29, 2007, 09:17:36 AM »
Part of the value of the test was the learning process that had all the right stuff go wrong.
None of it was beyond your ability to fix it, get in some seat time, and identify some things that you want to improve on.
Welcome to the forevers, and realize that such excellent reporting is of substantial value for others that ranges from shifter installation to Mexican chip distribution.
I bet a more complete diet review will be part of the "Pit Tootsie"  pre-event maintenance in the future.
It is good to not make the same mistake the first time, but it is better to be able to fix it easy, because you are going to do it anyway.:wink:

Now , be nice everyone because although she's 80 she's an SMSaholic and she watches this site as well ( Hi Mum)...there was one revealing moment when we were watching some footage that my cousin shot on the Rev's big vid cam...he was in my mum's car and after I'd pulled over because of the fume-out I could hear her on the tape saying " ...and he doesn't need that with his lungs..." god love her  :wink: She's always expressed disappointment that I dropped out of university to play rock and roll but this bellytank thing has been a Phd in life and I think she "gets it".

Jack is on it ...we had an incredibly successful outing ...nothing cut it short , we had a chance to do enough driving to be able to nail things that HAVE to change and also to see things that are sufficient as they are.I'm not a "polisher" and am more interested in making this thing kick than shine...there are certain aspects of the car that I'm sure were a bit of an eye-opener for some people there and I don't mean in the usual sense . This whole thing has been a learning experience and there is nothing in our car that we took for granted , nothing that we copied without understanding and nothing that we did because we were told to do it that way, we argued and discussed every bit of it.That said , we will of course suffer some because of our stubborn refusal to "stand in line" and how much will be difficult to quantify ,likewise it will be difficult to measure the advantages that some of our ingenuity has got us . In the end it will be crap or OK , it won't be sensational , let's be realistic ,Jack Kelly's tank owns the record for E/GL at 236 and some , he has an SBC that will get close to 9 grand am I right and he didn't start doing this yesterday...One day our tank might crack 220 , that would be a great day I'd reckon . Looking at it another way the early model V6's we are using at the moment are really really cheap....it'd be great to be able to make a reliable "2 ton" car using stock bottom ends .. we can get 'em for the cost of a set of new plugs , a fan belt , 3 gallons of fuel and an oil change...That's achievable with a stock diff, 28inch tires and a standard gear box......beyond that we need the power, revs and gearing that costs the sort of money we don't have. The late model motor has plenty of power and revs but it will be a long time before there are affordable hop-up bits for it and it is a complex piece of kit that will be better left "unopened" for a while I suspect.

Right now we have something that means a mountain to us, it goes , we love how it looks and although we're human and everyone loves a bit of attention we're out to impress ourselves  for the time being .We are overwhelmed by the response that the car has got and it is a real buzz to have received so much good will from so many experienced and respected people but deep down we started this before we knew much about it , looking back our aims were pretty humble but they were closer to the mark than our estimates of the time , money and involvement that it has taken and yet dwarfed by the reward and we ain't got to the real bit yet.

Throw your self help books , your motivational tapes , your "goal orientated " aims out the window and design and build your own landspeed vehicle people it'll change you , don't race other people , race yourself ....there's no point cheating.

Offline gazza414

« Reply #314 on: October 29, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »
Many congrads Stewie and Rev...looks like it is all coming together.. and the car looks fast...

pretty bumpy that air strip hey :?
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice