Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171612 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #5280 on: December 27, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »
.....I'm provoking discussion to tool up for the board meeting... :wink:

Cheers.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #5281 on: December 27, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
Everything I could ever find in the Bert trans listed 2:1 for low gear. Brinn makes a similar model with a 1.88:1 low gear.

My old transmission was an early ford that I only used 2nd and 3rd. 2nd gear was around 1.6:1 and my limited power did not handle the rpm drop very well.

That's why I went with the G101A, 1,2,3 ratios are selectable from a big chart. I ended up with:

1st - 1.985
2nd - 1.533
3rd - 1.195
4th - 1.00

You even have the option to make 3rd gear overdriven if you are running out of rear end gear.

Andy

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5282 on: December 27, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »
If you Dubbo's can't find the right hole to stick it in while driving in the fetal position with your winter jamies on :-D, can you loose the tail housing off a TH350 & make that fit? Any converter joint can lock a converter for you.
  Sid.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #5283 on: December 27, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
OK.  Reworking the horsepower required curve to approximate the 330hp/215mph data point, which was done by upping the frontal area to 9 sq. ft. and the Cd to 0.45 (which seems a lot more draggy that one would expect) results in the second graph on the accompanying worksheet.  (Fairing the axles and using wheel discs might go a fair way to helping out here, if not already done).
Other changes involve starting at 90 hp at 2000 rpm which seems possible given the air consumption rate of an E engine at that speed.  Also, changing the final drive ratio to bring the peak 8000 rpm power back to the power required curve.  Note that the power levels have not been decreased to match Bonneville elevation and air density nor any tire slip included. 
Observations:
This setup will just barely get there (238mph) at 8000 rpm, so adding some rpm would help, along with probably even shorter final drive.  This should be possible.
Kenny had opined that 550 hp should be within reach given good tuning.
Assuming the 1.52:1 gear ratio, at 50 mph there should be about 123 hp available which, assuming a vehicle weight of 3000 lb could result in about 0.3 ā€œgā€ acceleration.  The top end of that gear would probably pull 0.37 ā€œgā€.   What does the car weigh--for calculating performance results?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5284 on: December 27, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »
Has it been pointed out that this topic has surpassed the mega-view stage?

Corngratulations to all of us who provide to us/put up with what we get in this most lengthy of all, so far. :cheers:

(Sure wish I knew how to make the dead horse thingie upside down for them Aussies and maybe also change it from a dead horse to a living SoS, and from that nasty-lookin' stick to maybe a nice shiny torque wrench -- but I don't, so you'll have to imagine it).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #5285 on: December 27, 2016, 09:31:20 PM »
OK. What does the car weigh?

Good luck getting that out of them.   :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5286 on: December 27, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »
Jon - the best I could come up with . . .

More Prague than Preston, no emojimotion, but a belated happy St. Stephens day to all . . .

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5287 on: December 27, 2016, 11:10:56 PM »
 :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #5288 on: December 28, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »
Gogg's & Grumm, why are you trying to limit yourself to two speeds??  :? :?
  Sid.

If someone made a three speed racebox with a built in multi plate clutch and hydraulic slave I would be looking at that. And they are way short
Ross Brown said he might lend us a 2 stage Lenco and Greg Watters also has a box we could borrow, however to get three speeds we have a length problem
I'de love to fit an auto with a lock up converter, enough of them lying around here, again, a length problem
I do really like Andy's G101A

I don't want to be biding my time with 80hp, we only have seven miles........ :roll:

Last timing light should be at the six this year, it was at the five last year.
I told everyone that at the drivers meeting. Weren't you listening?

Has it been pointed out that this topic has surpassed the mega-view stage?

Corngratulations to all of us who provide to us/put up with what we get in this most lengthy of all, so far. :cheers:

(Sure wish I knew how to make the dead horse thingie upside down for them Aussies and maybe also change it from a dead horse to a living SoS, and from that nasty-lookin' stick to maybe a nice shiny torque wrench -- but I don't, so you'll have to imagine it).

Yep. Stainless pointed it out about three pages ago.  I was so impressed I showed my Mum
Thanks everyone for looking and thanks for all your advice, even if we don't take it

I might just go out the shed, with the very clean floor,  and make the car longer

G

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:31:31 PM by grumm441 »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5289 on: December 28, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »
"...Yep. Stainless pointed it out about three pages ago."

Oh.  Like - I'm supposed to pay attention?

Sorry. :-P
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5290 on: December 28, 2016, 07:24:09 PM »
A two stage Lenco is a 3 speed just in case anybody missed it here but without a reverser is that actually longer than a Burt/Brinn?
I believe both of those have a 32 spline out-put shaft the same as the long Greek coupler I sent you but I think limiting yourself to a two speed would be a mistake when it comes to keeping the engine on the boil.
How about moving the axle back, is that an option?
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5291 on: December 28, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »
A 4 speed with some where very close to the afore mentioned ratios----even if you had to leave out the clutch and use a Greek Coupler  should be able to get to the minimum
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #5292 on: December 28, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
A two stage Lenco is a 3 speed just in case anybody missed it here but without a reverser is that actually longer than a Burt/Brinn?
I believe both of those have a 32 spline out-put shaft the same as the long Greek coupler I sent you but I think limiting yourself to a two speed would be a mistake when it comes to keeping the engine on the boil.
How about moving the axle back, is that an option?
  Sid.

the more I look at it, the trickier it gets. I'm just thinking about adding 6" in the middle
I have to remake the bottom tubes to get the engine in anyway and the middle is the easiest place to re sheet
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5293 on: December 28, 2016, 11:02:44 PM »
Yeah, sounds like that might be the right decision Mate.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5294 on: December 28, 2016, 11:57:40 PM »
 yepers--- if 6 is good 12 is better :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!