Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165192 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4995 on: March 03, 2016, 11:43:31 PM »
Was low on responsibilities, may have actually drunk enough beer to fix the Australian economy.

Peter Warren has a new glass P38 with a clevo headed Windsor. It ran 204.xxx.

I told the story about Robin's gift of the V6 about a thousand times. It is now officially an urban myth in the DLRA community.I had people I never met in my life rubbing their chins and shaking their heads in astonishment. When I'd say, "no, it's not a joke, we already have it n Melbourne"  people would just gape.

I was talking to a cam guy yesterday and I showed him the flow data and the cam sheet, he was politely nodding along before that......after he was stunned, just like we are.

Stuart Hooper's blown Velo ran mid 190's, Mal Hewatt's Vincent ran mid 180's.

John Dents tank ran high 250's and a new guy Craig Rogers turned up with a rail style Lakester with  turbo 250 cube Ford straight six. He was speed limited due to some new car tech issues under 200 but it ran laps faultlessly, gotta eat.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4996 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:36 PM »
Welcome home, and bon appetite!

Didn't Grummy post up some pics of that inline lakester a few moons back?

Make us (U.S.) sick - how was the salt?

You still have the weekend in front of you - the shed beckons, ya lucky sod.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4997 on: March 04, 2016, 01:00:29 AM »

Make us (U.S.) sick - how was the salt?

Get a tissue. Not racing means I can't say exactly but I did see a lot of the track, between the 3 and 4 it was so hard that they couldn't groom it completely. It was a little wet beyond the second track but it was as smooth as I have ever seen it. I walked the 3 or 4 miles out to the pits the first three mornings, there were almost no pressure ridges and the surface was really sparkly with quite large crystals( 3/16ths ) in patches.Intensely white and not much salt stuck to the cars or shoes.

Les Davenport was trying to remain calm, I told him they cut a 14 mile course one year, this year it was pretty soupy that far out, but someone went down to the eight and didn't get bogged.....and of course there's a few miles of good salt behind the start.......

The only spin was a car that blew a front tire.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #4998 on: March 05, 2016, 05:24:18 AM »
Salt was in fantastic condition, road in was smooth and not overly corrugated on the way out. Desert was green, flies plentiful, Emus and Kangas fat and happy.

Pic attached of end of day yarn time. A salt new comer (at back, standing, tugging chin) absorbs the stream of wisdom, and other things, from the usual suspects and subjects on this thread. (left to right: Simon Davidson, Ross Brown (sitting on his latest creation), Goggles, Grumm & Corrine, chin-tugging new guy.

The guys should be home tonight (Oz time), stay tuned for more.

Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4999 on: March 10, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5000 on: March 11, 2016, 12:39:27 AM »
great read
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5001 on: March 11, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
Hi All,
there's a few creaks and groans starting at the SOS homebase.

Sometime this weekend I'll hoist the drivetrain, then we'll be getting a mock up of the engine plate so we can start to imagine the chev in place.

On the Colonel's insistence we are going to an R&P, as it turns out we are in Oz and a wizard in Kansas has one we can use :-D

I got the new tyres mounted this week.

I'm in contact with some boffins in Californiay in an effort to replace our harness( seems easy enough) because we want EXACTLY what we have now, because it works.

We will be altering the operation of our canopy which after four trips in and out of the lake doesn't work as well as it used to.

We might, shock horror, be changing the exhaust and the chute situation too.

They're some of the items on the agenda. The last two times we ran we were either working on the car or waiting in line and ran only four times at each meet. Altering some aspects of the car will lessen the effort to change the gearing or pull the drivetrain if and when necessary.

As you were.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5002 on: March 12, 2016, 02:39:17 AM »
Thanks, I were. 8-)
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5003 on: March 13, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
Happy birthday Wayno :cheers:

11&1/2 months to go til DLRA speed week.........

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #5004 on: March 13, 2016, 06:52:38 PM »
Happy birthday Wayno :cheers:

11&1/2 months to go til DLRA speed week.........

What he said
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5005 on: March 13, 2016, 08:26:45 PM »
And only 5 1/2 hours to my birthday over here. You lucky guys get to start early.  :-)  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5006 on: March 13, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
And only 5 1/2 hours to my birthday over here. You lucky guys get to start early.  :-)  :cheers: Wayno

I think I'll drink with the Aussies.

Happy Birthday, Wayno!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5007 on: March 13, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
Yea, me too.... but I ain't gonna try to keep up with them  :-D
Learned that lesson years ago  :cheers:

Forgot Happy Birthday Wayno
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5008 on: March 20, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »
Yesterday I started turning some spanners, and well, an angle grinder, a burr and eventually a cold chisel.

It's a bit over two years since the last time the car ran and it wasn't torn down after it's last meet.

I put the hoist together, I managed to drop a piece of it on the tail, that's no big deal I'll be painting it again anyway. Some of the Allen heads were frozen solid, they're a neat thing that are fast to remove, when they are in good condition. When they aren't the mechanical advantage that the thread has over the shallow hex drive means they shit themselves in a hurry, yep stainless ones, they'd be nice...but they're softer and even less reliable.

So I got the tail off, there was a homeless guy living in there, we sat around and talked for a bit, actually it was a bunch of leaf litter and some dust admittedly I was pretty tired.

I hoisted the water tank and unbolted the scatter-shield, the job at hand was to measure the motor and see how it compares to the Dripps motor. From the top the motor is pretty much a 560mm square and it fits within 800mm in height.

I get an email from our man in Preston...

So , rough dimensions

from the back face of the block to the front of the block, 440 mm
front face of the block to the end of the water pump pulley, 180mm ( the
water pump has a 30 mm spacer on it that we might be able to lose)
the other thing about the water pump on a chev is that it is almost an
after thought bolted on the front of the block. we could run an electric
pump
front face of the block to the front of the bottom pulley, 210mm
total length   650mm

the center line of the crank shaft is level with the bottom face of the
block unlike the commodore motor

bottom face of the block to the bottom of the sump 180mm
bottom face of the block the the top of the injectors  590mm ( this
doesn't allow for an air gap above the injector hats)
Total height 770mm

rocker cover to rocker cover is 670mm
should've measured rocker crank center line to rocker cover. tomorrow if
i get a chance

engine mounts
they are a plate on the front face of the block
the mounting holes are about 265mm each side of the center line of the
crank and about 130 mm above the center line of the crank

We may still have to make the car longer

G

On the face of it we will have to add some blisters to the cowl to fit the heads in.

An electric water pump will ease the space at the front but we have the dry sump pump there too and it won't be moving.  We have a good 150mm at the front of the motor and I'm confident that we can get the Chev in without adding any length to the car but we won't be able to do a belt change. Having said that it would not be difficult, and it will likely be necessary to make the firewall (or part of it) removable in order to access the front of the motor..

more later.......

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5009 on: March 28, 2016, 05:44:18 AM »
 Hi All,

Pete dropped over yesterday, ostensibly to show off the V8 audi wagon he'd just bought so I fed him and roped him into helping me pull the motor from the tank. He'd been at the historic bike meet at Broadford which was a Guzzi get together and had a whole bunch of big end stuff over from Italy, along with some italians, who thought...... There was a late 50's( the late 50's) V8 GP bike and 500 or so other bit's and bobs.

Our mate Bones ( Dave MacLachlan) and his pal Rod had taken Bones's 2 stroke there to blow it up so they dropped in  on their way to Greg Watter's place to sit and watch us skin a few knuckles.

Now, because my place has been renovation central for the last 12 months or more there has been zero time setting up the shed as auto heaven, we fumbled and bumped but we got happening pretty quick and after about an hour and a half we had the motor swinging.

It'll go on a dolly and it will go to the Colonel's place out of harm's way, or as I said yesterday "far from the reach of grinder grit, blasting sand, sawdust or chook shit"

It was good to make that step, but then today it was back on the saw bench and what with not having packed up all the tools from yesterday, and spreading a whole bunch more around today it looks like a tornado has been through.............