Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171064 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4845 on: January 04, 2016, 11:28:08 PM »
Hey Bill, I love you too.

The short answer is that we might be able to make 450+hp with a V6 NA pump fuel. We would need pretty much a motor full of bespoke parts. The critical issue are the closed chamber heads and the valve size.... If we broke it we'd be back to square one.

There are SBC heads that flow that much off the shelf. There are pistons we can use, already made....we need a crank. Bottom line is 450+hp 250-258ci Small block chevys are not unheard of. Whereas a series 1 V6 of that kind of calibre aren't on every corner. 

Fordboy did some sums on what we have currently and it won't turn fast enough for long enough......ultimately our money is better spent on an 8.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4846 on: January 05, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »
Whatever you do I wish you guys all the best both residentially and race wise. :cheers:

I've missed you posting etc but now we know why.
Good to hear from you James and have a great 2016.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4847 on: January 05, 2016, 12:26:33 AM »
Hot Rod magazine evaluates things occasionally at the Duttweiler facilities.  They build up V-8 test mule motors for these evaluations and the engine specs are in the articles.  These mule motor combinations of blocks, heads, cranks, etc look pretty good.  Building a motor based on their test mule engine might be a good starting point.  I saved an article just for this purpose.  I will try to find it in my rat nest office.  It is around here somewhere.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4848 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
I was thinking of the SBC based V-6 that there are lots of off the shelf stuff that is pretty Kick Acura
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4849 on: January 05, 2016, 02:47:35 AM »
Thanks Mike, Bo.

You're right Bill, but they still ain't as dirt common as the eights, and none of that stuff is here whereas we can get the block and heads fror all the late model V8's here easily....a V6 would be my pick if there was no difference because then I could focus all my energy on harassing Grumm to build it and barely have to lift a finger myself...... :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4850 on: January 05, 2016, 04:09:20 AM »
...a V6 would be my pick if there was no difference because then I could focus all my energy on harassing Grumm to build it and barely have to lift a finger myself...... :cheers:

Sure

Been a bit busy myself
Somehow got involved with the committee DLRA speedweek.
I tell you! what I don't know about toilets.....

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4851 on: January 05, 2016, 05:42:06 AM »
As far as exactly how much power we need I can't put my grubbys on it right now but (now the Colonel will point out that the car was breaking down on the second run) our top speed was 215.041mph at 6400rpm with a 2.41 where the dyno told us we had 320+hp at the crank.

We also ran 1./205 with a 2.56:1@ 6400
                 2./205 with a 2.14:1@ 5300 where we know we had 270+hp at the crank.

Off the top of my head Sumner's spreadsheet told us we needed over 420hp to run 240mph.

The car can be cleaned up a little aero wise and we were rev limited by some mystery problem so the figure of 420 may be higher than reality, but enough power is never enough and I'm fairly certain it'll be able to put 450+hp down without too much trouble even without suspension.

Fire away Fordboy. :mrgreen:

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #4852 on: January 05, 2016, 09:24:31 AM »
My part of this gig will be stretching the car about six years inches right behind the firewall.

I enjoy the enthusiastic simplification of adding 6" to your bellytank.  The thought of doing that to mine makes me a little sick.

Hope it all goes well.

Andy

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4853 on: January 05, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
 8-)   a  347 V-8
     is a  304 V-7
     is a  260 V-6   
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4854 on: January 05, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »
My part of this gig will be stretching the car about six years inches right behind the firewall.

I enjoy the enthusiastic simplification of adding 6" to your bellytank.  The thought of doing that to mine makes me a little sick.

Hope it all goes well.

Andy

Hey Andy, doing it to your tank would be a little more , er challenging  I think,

On our car the firewall is round about the transition point and thus we figure adding an extension.piece there will have the least effect on the aero efficiency of our shape. The other point is our car like every other Lakester is crammed full , the one part of the car that has a little daylight is between the front of he motor and the firewall, brake line, clutch line, throttle cable, wiring loom...they can all be easily extended AND have quick connect fittings so the car can be separated there. That will make working on it a lot easier...to change the diff ratio we have to hoist the motor at the moment.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4855 on: January 05, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »
Maybe 10 inches, a little room is not a bad thing. We had to make the Bockscar 12 inches longer so Stainless could drive.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4856 on: January 05, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
Grumm said:

G
[/quote]

Hmmm.  Maybe I :-D can guess what volunteer job you've been allowed to choose?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4857 on: January 05, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
Sparky's logic is pretty good, as you are planning to lengthen the car and install a V8 why not make the V8 into a V6 with two "dead" holes. Keith Dorton at Automotive Specialties has done this to make a smaller displacement and has had good success. The big plus is that by adding a cylinder (V-7?) you would be in D class and going to a full V-8 would put you in C class. Plus you would not have to buy a $1000 2 -9/16 stroke billet crank.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4858 on: January 05, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »

Bazinga!!
Fordboy

People actually say that?

Grumm said:

Hmmm.  Maybe I :-D can guess what volunteer job you've been allowed to choose?

Slim, every meeting it's toilets this, and toilets that.
I think we now have ten toilets on the lake and about six of them look like the've been there fro 25 years plus
yep, it's a volunteer job, but not my job

Plus you would not have to buy a $1000 2 -9/16 stroke billet crank.

Rex

I would like to know where I would get one that cheap

Maybe 10 inches, a little room is not a bad thing. We had to make the Bockscar 12 inches longer so Stainless could drive.

I would love to, but we just bought a trailer, and it would no longer fit on it

G
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:03:50 PM by grumm441 »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4859 on: January 05, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »
You couldn't build a porch on the trailer?  :? Not even a 4" one?  :roll:  :cheers: Wayno