Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171229 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3585 on: February 25, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »
 :-o ROTFLMAO  :-D  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3586 on: February 25, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
That was the backup paint
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3587 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
Is there a rev limit programmed into something?  Congratulations on your successful week, or last couple of years, really.

Online salt27

« Reply #3588 on: February 25, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
That was the backup paint
G

Incase the wiring suffered a scrape? :roll:

Don

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3589 on: February 26, 2013, 03:25:54 AM »
I'm happy to go along with this, but it wasn't me who painted the wiring in the first place.....but keep it coming I have an insatiable appetite for s***-canning. When on the salt I kind of like to get around in the Nomex, it's cool and keeps the sun off. After my first run I managed to wipe my hand on my butt when it had some copper anti-sieze on it, leaving a brown stripe up my crack, I managed to wear that around for a few hours, classy.I'm sure there are photo's.

We haven't even started really, what about our sponsor Pope irrigation products? Jon gave a salient lesson on pressure differentials when it was pointed out that the piece of garden hose I had used on the crankcase evac was probably collapsing....."not if there is any pressure in the crankcase" he said......now, I need to tell you that I had put a piece of that hose there when we went to the dyno and the Colonel wasn't all that impressed......I assumed a few weeks back that if I put a piece of it on the motor again that the Colonel would quickly materialize with a piece of half inch vac hose. I was wrong.

That was small beer.

We made other wholesale changes to the car, for all the anxiety i had been through regarding some of the changes they didn't just not raise any eyebrows, there was nary a "meh"........... we had the 5kgs of AFFF in the cab, I looked through the window of production sedans that will never reach the 200 requirement for extra extinguishant and saw their little bottles and their twenty times( maybe thirty) greater  cabin spaces, their front engines and their tendency to spin and wondered about the rules........

I rang the guy who we paid to set the rear end up and told him we'd run 205mph, he didn't believe me initially, then I told him we'd swapped in the 2.41 and run 215 in the same distance with two clocks to go, I didn't want him thinking he'd taken money off dreamers, and I thanked him for everything he'd done. I should point out that Andre who helped us/took charge of the diff swap made use of the Silverton boys BBQ to heat a bearing in the midst of the job, a true champ. That BBQ also fed us a few nights , that helped too.

Jon Bennet was a great help in that "get stuff done" way......I didn't blab but Jon had made  us a set of foils for the front axle and tie rods and another set for the rear axles, I just ran out of time to fit them and didn't want to wreck them in a rush. Dave, Jon's son ( who, btw ran 202 on the GPS course on his 1000APS bike first year out) helped too....

Nigel, Brett's fellow traveller weighed in and has offered us a bunch of electromotive stuff....from what I have read there is something in the VE table in the Delco computer that is hard to avoid and kicks in at about 64-6600rpm. with what Nigel has offered we just need to buy the brain. Damon from Broken Hill was invaluable , smart and good on the tools , he's been a fan of the car...he just wanted a photo of him in it, hell we gave him a t-shirt too....it's embarrassing the number of people who just threw their all in for the little car.

Well sounds like its unanimous, we are going to Bonneville!

It seems that no-one put forward any arguments forward other than getting the engine revving (suspension was determined as track issues?) and that can be resolved by a new ecu and Dino session?

Huh, huh, can we huh?

RH+
Minister of Agitprop

Being the guy who has been doing the bulk of the work I'm telling you it ain't going to happen this year unless a big cheque with my name on it arrives in the mail with no return address.I've spent more in the last three years than many Bonneville entrants have spent on their vehicle and I'm not punting more on a vanity project, the risks are too great.Cancellation? I've been there and seen teams with a little more coin and logistical expertise take one in the tradesman's entrance and fall short of even modest expectations..........

Years ago when Jack Dolan explained the type of motor we should build and then explained it was because it would do what we needed and wouldn't hurt itself  he backed it up by saying "because if you build a high-revving hi-comp motor and break it, you'll never be able to afford to build another one". We have him to thank for positioning this whole deal where it is now......

I'm calling a 250mph pass in 12 months with the ideas Goggles and Grumm shared at the lake.
That motor is strong, the aero is good.
jon

When that motor will run to 7200-7500rpm and still have all the oil on the inside I might think a little differently but there is never going to be suspension on that car and I am the only person who can make an informed decision about that.....do you want me to lift it up off the ground too? I have some ideas about damping the front axle but people who are telling us we need suspension are farting above their arses.

I unloaded the car yesterday and thought about the beaut 36 degree day I had loading it, when the cross bar of the hoist hit me on the head, twice. I put the front axle on the stands after hosing it and then put a litre of WD40 in my Wurth sprayer and dumped it into the car.....I hadn't done it the day before as I was a little tired and had knocked my gate off with the trailer...that put me in the wrong frame of mind...that's the sort of frame of mind I'm in now....first day of work, absolutely exhausted and broke.

But I've got time to sleep and I get paid next week :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3590 on: February 26, 2013, 03:55:53 AM »
Dr G, that all makes sense.

Cheer up, you just ran 215mph in a car you built in the backyard out bits found, borrowed annd stolen! That should be your beacon of joy when times seem tough always.

As for the dough let me handle that if and when we decide to go. It should not be a factor in our decision to go, only mechanical issues.

dik

Offline Momec

• New folks
« Reply #3591 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:34 AM »
Dik

The car that dropped it's motor was Bridgey's F100. They also lost the motor in another car of theirs. They took 3 cars down, the Effy, a 260Z and a Falcon ute (a former brute ute racer).

Apparently there was another accident with a former NASCAR rolling over. The car is a wreck but the driver was OK.

Temps have been hot with one day being 42 degrees C or over 100 F. The track sounds good if the SoS and Norm's 34 have all been over 200. Sounds like the worst year that we could not go to the lake.

I got a phone call last night from Big Gaz. He's been doing his licencing runs for the Jag on the GPS course and aced the 125 & 150 mph passses before moving on to the Long Course for the 175mph and chute pull. He overcooked it and did the first mile at 191mph before slowing it down and doing the chute pull. While he did do the 3rd mile at 175 they have ruled that he do it again. So today is 175 again and then on to 200. From the sounds of it he should get there as he reports that he has too much power and needs to feather the throttle to get traction and the 191 that he did was in either 3rd or 4th gear. The gearbox is a Doug Nash close ratio 5 speed and the 5th is 1:1 so he is still getting there. Based on gearing and engine revs (he's limited it to 6500) it can do 200. We also calculated that it needed 450hp for 200 and he's got 868hp. Next year may see the hunt on for a 9 inch ratio lower than 2.5:1?

People are starting to leave the salt as they wrap up their racing which should shorten queues and allow more runs per team. The GPS track is still good with more runs per team than the Long course. Typically on a Thursday you can treat the GPS course as a circuit with little to no waiting.

Lynchy

Sorry Lynchy,
We only lost the motor in the F Truck, Alvin the AU is still running. It was my shakedown run in the Effie and it had the standard high oil temp versus low oil pressure problem and ran a bearing at the 3/4 mile.
I rolled through the last 1/4 mle for a 184mph on a 117mph Aussie record or C/PP Bonneville record held by Chock Full of Nuts at 185mph.
Never ever will I run wet sump again.
The AU Ford Ute Alvin survived with a 181mph in D/Pro on a 179mph record that Mark Hadfield had set over nearly a decade and we also got D/ProUte at I think 176mph.
They disallowed my first 186mph chute pull run cause the chute cable missed by 1mm.
Chris Hanlon
Acme Racing #251
XP Falcon Ute 174.651mph
82 F100 C/PP record 184.985mph
AU Falcon Ute D/PROU record 178.998mph
Lake Gairdner Aust.

Offline Momec

• New folks
« Reply #3592 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:11 AM »
Heh Doc,

Congrats, long time coming with the big 200mph.
Tell me, did we leave you bogged in the bulldust?
I thought you were tooting goodbye but Kathy said "I think they wanted you to stop cause their stuck"?
Now you may need to explain Bulldust to the Septics

Chris
Acme Racing #251
XP Falcon Ute 174.651mph
82 F100 C/PP record 184.985mph
AU Falcon Ute D/PROU record 178.998mph
Lake Gairdner Aust.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3593 on: February 26, 2013, 05:28:06 AM »
Heh Doc,

Congrats, long time coming with the big 200mph.
Tell me, did we leave you bogged in the bulldust?
I thought you were tooting goodbye but Kathy said "I think they wanted you to stop cause their stuck"?
Now you may need to explain Bulldust to the Septics

Chris

who was that old guy in the truck?......he jumped on the anchors in front of us, got out and said" gee, you surprised me getting through that" and then drove off, whaddayaknow? pulling to a rapid stop to avoid hitting him had bogged us..... thanks , ya old duffer. :roll: :roll: then we had to get towed out, so um, yes were were bogged.

For those who don't know bulldust is talc like dust that settles in big drifts, the 100 mile dirt road to Gairdner is a good place to find it....where we got stuck was a dry creek crossing where the road was soft sand and bulldust about six inches deep for a few hundred yards long....forward momentum is the key to getting across it, to make matters worse most of the fifteen miles of the actual lake rd was severely corrugated....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #3594 on: February 26, 2013, 06:09:31 AM »
Chris

Apologies, was working off dodgy info....

Well done on the record by the way! What was the Effy motor? Cleveland???

And so we don't hijack the thread - Love your work Goggles, Colonel, Hedgash and crew! If you go to Bonneville Gaz and I will have to go over as well!

Lynchy

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3595 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
thanks to all for the great read---will help on getting out in the shop and spending more time on the WW on these cold days  :-)
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3596 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »
thanks to all for the great read---will help on getting out in the shop and spending more time on the WW on these cold days  :-)
Come on Sparky! Ya live in Phoenix, "cold days". That sounds like "bull dust" too me Mate.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3597 on: February 26, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
every thing is realitive   :-D ,we have had high hummidity high30s to mid50 days, to desert rats--- well that seems that is cold to me with no heat--lol 

I just knew one of you northern guys were going to bust my chops---lol

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3598 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
High temp for Marquette in the past few MONTHS is in the mid-30s.  Outdoor humidity stays fairly high - 60 - 90%, because of the cold air, but indoors we run the humidifier to keep things up to 30%.

I keep the garage/shop at a lowest of 41F.  It's fairly comfortable in there -- can turn it up to anything I want and it gets there within a half-hour.  The return line from the outdoor boiler goes through a water-to-air intercooler/heat exchanger which is coupled to the fan in the (propane) unit heater.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3599 on: February 26, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
oh no, the domestic climate control nerds have crashed the party :roll: :roll: :roll:

email and PMs running hot here after a good week....slow down people I'm still collecting my shattered body and mind.....the F truck ran without a hitch there and back, I washed it and that was the signal for the bugs to break out....here's an email exchange.....Grumm Jon, me....

Hi Goggles
     Can you post my horse collar up when you get back on this planet please, getting ready for the final fit of my belts.

Don't worry about buying one, unless we are in the same group of ten we could crawl back and get it to each other in time for the next person to run.

Regards
     jon

I think that is with Graham, he'll respond no doubt....

I'm still zonked , have to drive to Sale today...beaut.

F truck burnt some wiring yesterday so there really is a god, it's just when the shift changed and the Holden god came on yesterday he looked down , saw me, and went "WTF are you doing dickhead" and smoked my ignition wiring.... "there , that'll learn ya for driving a Ford, and enjoying it"

cheers ,JS

A Cleveland smoking an ignition wire, unheard of.....

Regards
jon  

I can do that, but I guess I'll need an address
And 'cos it's worth a bit how would you like it sent

Look at it this way Goggs
If you carry about three feet of wire with a terminal on one end and a alligator clamp on the other, when you take it off the car and roll it up in your pocket
it will be much harder to steal
G

Hey ,page 241...like 2.41:1...huh? huh? huh?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:04:41 PM by Dr Goggles »