Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171208 times)

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3570 on: February 24, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
Sorry Grum,
 :roll: Got your card reader here in Evil Adelaide, be home tomorrow night.
Grab one from a shop I'll pay you back.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:52:52 PM by SPARKY »
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3571 on: February 24, 2013, 06:24:34 AM »
The Traveller is up on blocks in the back yard as I am replacing the rear axle due to the spring perches having rotted away allowing the axle to rotate (!). But I will definately give her a bit more wellie next drive. I do love driving it actually, old school motoring with no ssynchro in first.

Stewy is saying it may be too early to take it to Bonneville, I think its about right... how about an online vote? If not successful for the first year I am sure we could find someone who would "mind it" while we prepared for another run the following year...?

What's the consensus? Wait and get it right (and risk someone else blowing the record out of the salty water?) Or put our money down and play?

It will be a team decision of course but we consider the forum "family" and so there will be some influence and meaningful discussion I am sure.

Reverend Hedgash
agitprop
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:26:26 AM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3572 on: February 24, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »
The Traveller is up on blocks in the back yard as I am replacing the rear axle due to the spring perches having rotted away allowing the axle to rotate (!).

Rusted spring perches?  Rotating axles?  Sounds like somebody grafted a Triumph rear end into it.

Ah, somebody is pressing from, what was it called, Pomgolia?  That's an impressive piece if literary imagery.

Time to weigh options -

The car clearly shows potential - holds a record, perhaps a bit of chassis sorting to assure the shakes don't return, clean aero, enthusiastic crew and world-wide support of the project.

And nothing would delight me more than to see this car in the flesh in August.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of the Bacchus Marsh guys who have brought the Healey Streamliner over twice, and each time, despite what was clearly a really well put together car, had issues that had not been sorted out completely before they put it in the container.

Your very puzzling issue of not being able to turn over 6400 has absolutely got to be handled before you start shopping for shipping quotes.

On top of that, you'll need to tune it for 4200 feet above sea level, rather than 120.

Outside pressure?  In addition to Dik's goading, Gas Lakester has more competitors here in the states, and if somebody makes a breakthrough with a car with similar aero and a lot more horses, it could be a long time putting Sunshine back on track for an American record and a hat.

It's been a long, productive week - heck, three years - for Team Sunshine, and I'm certainly not trying to throw a wet blanket on the enthusiasm, nor diminish your success.  I am pointing out to you and your fans the obvious hurdles and the potential need for urgency and a swift resolution.

So Dik, right now, I'm standing with James - it's not quite there yet.  But James, if there is any way you can get the engine issue sorted out by late May, and unless there are cards you’re not showing, 2013 just might be the year.

Congratulations, my friends.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3573 on: February 24, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
find the Rs first!!!! I think you nearly have to know your power band  and how for up it goes.  With a DYNO SHEET -- we can spread sheet formula to find the best gear-tire combo at targeted speed for the best TE. 

Dr G ---I would go back on the dyno with a stand alone ECU FIRST!!   Find out IF the snarly little beast has a powerband 2000-2500 above 6375!!  It is going to be a great year if it does!!!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:57:07 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3574 on: February 24, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3575 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »
The Traveller is up on blocks in the back yard as I am replacing the rear axle due to the spring perches having rotted away allowing the axle to rotate (!). But I will definately give her a bit more wellie next drive. I do love driving it actually, old school motoring with no ssynchro in first.

Stewy is saying it may be too early to take it to Bonneville, I think its about right... how about an online vote? If not successful for the first year I am sure we could find someone who would "mind it" while we prepared for another run the following year...?

What's the consensus? Wait and get it right (and risk someone else blowing the record out of the salty water?) Or put our money down and play?

It will be a team decision of course but we consider the forum "family" and so there will be some influence and meaningful discussion I am sure.

Reverend Hedgash
agitprop

Dik, If you guys decide to hit Bvill, you're welcome to work out of my place. I'm just over the hill from the salt, there's an empty house for you & we'll make room in the shop beside the liner.
  Sid.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3576 on: February 24, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
Regarding the Mister Potato Head hat, I didn't exactly picture THAT red hat on you.  :roll:  I did notice the sticker not only on the push truck but in the SoS as well. Someday I'll make it over there.  :wink: I hope you gave my best to those whom asked of me. Once more, good job my friend(s).  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3577 on: February 25, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
Well sounds like its unanimous, we are going to Bonneville!

It seems that no-one put forward any arguments forward other than getting the engine revving (suspension was determined as track issues?) and that can be resolved by a new ecu and Dino session?

Huh, huh, can we huh?

RH+
Minister of Agitprop

Offline Jon

« Reply #3578 on: February 25, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
None of mine business but I recon another year of tinkering that didn't involve major works like the diff changeover and motor rebuilt that take up big chunks of time and fun vouchers would see another big leap.

I'm calling a 250mph pass in 12 months with the ideas Goggles and Grumm shared at the lake.

That motor is strong, the aero is good.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3579 on: February 25, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »
Smart man that Jon Bennet.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #3580 on: February 25, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
We will see you boys Stateside! :cheers:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3581 on: February 25, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
We will see you boys Stateside! :cheers:

Most likely, but you will have to come here to see the car
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3582 on: February 25, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
Most likely, but you will have to come here to see the car
G

:cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jon

« Reply #3583 on: February 25, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
Grumm

Has Goggles been sniffing the yellow paint again???

During Speedweek Goggles misplaced his glasses just before a run.
I was swanning around doing very little so I went for a look in their pits, I didn't find the glasses but I did find a carefully sealed jar of yellow paint, I'm not sure if it was meant to be in with the electrical gear...

Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3584 on: February 25, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
I did find a carefully sealed jar of yellow paint, I'm not sure if it was meant to be in with the electrical gear...

LOL  :cheers: