Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3190371 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #2925 on: October 21, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »
moving right along
I changed the layshaft and third gear in the gearbox today in order to get a closer 3 to 4 ratio
so two gears and 118 needle rollers later, I got it all back together
now first gear, which is the gear on the input shaft, makes a clunking noise when you turn it
l'm guessing that the gear tooth angle is i tiny bit different
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2926 on: October 21, 2012, 10:05:19 PM »
A way to check it is to put machinist dye on the gear teeth, let it dry, put a dab of toothpaste on the gear teeth, reassemble it, and spin for about 20 seconds.  Then take it apart and look at the contact patches on the gear teeth.  The dye should be worn off midway up on the teeth.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2927 on: October 21, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
It looks like the gear on the input shaft is different for the
close ratio gear set. Goggles is on to it.
In other news, I bought the little ducati
G

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2928 on: October 21, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »
Hmmmmmmm yes. I spoke to the guy I bought the cluster from who had supplied me with "everything you need" to make the M21 change, he told me that his business had burnt down and that he didn't have a reference book anymore. I bought the input shaft, $159 ( that's about $10,000US) .....so thinking about it I'm pretty sure that we have just passed the $1500 mark on this gearbox, it was a very long and slow climb before the price of these gearboxes finally dragged itself past their scrap weight value............ Looking at it from another angle though most of that money went into making the rear plate and or buying new parts.....if I'd bought a factory M21 and rebuilt it we'd have spent as much.....

Good to see you bought that Ducati, you definitely needed that. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2929 on: October 22, 2012, 03:45:55 AM »
You can never have too many................ Oh, never mind.  :roll: On that note, I think I just sold the Green '35 Fordor that was parked next to the shop. There wasn't a chance in a cheeseburger that I'd ever get to it. I also thawed out one of the Ribeyes that was left over from after Speedweek. Yum. Thanx Grumm.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline rgn

« Reply #2930 on: October 22, 2012, 03:56:57 AM »
I just sold the Green '35 Fordor that was parked next to the shop.

Was it yours?   :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #2931 on: October 22, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
Possession is the most important part in any transaction.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2932 on: October 22, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Details, details.  :roll: Wayno

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2933 on: October 22, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Funny that , Possession is called receiving stolen goods in this country.
G

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2934 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:40 AM »
It looks like the gear on the input shaft is different for the
close ratio gear set. Goggles is on to it.
G

Yes, Goggles is onto it.

As I walked into the foyer of our office at a lazy 9.15 the CEO was carrying a box toward me and she said,

"Oh, here, this for you"

It was the input shaft, I went to my hidey hole and opened it up, it looked too long.........
Of course!... there are different 6 and 8 cylinder versions, the input shaft for the V8 version is longer, other than that, they are identical.The 6 cylinder M21 version was a homologation part for the XU1 Torana which had a triple carb 202 straight six and won the 1972 Bathurst 500 mile race for production vehicles against the Ford 351 GT Falcons.

So I've got the wrong bit. In the end I spoke to the owner of the business( no, not the joint that burned down but his supplier) who knew the whole gig and could quote all the parts numbers...."just tell me why you're using one of these?"....so I explain it's an easy box to shorten, it's a salt car, no big torque loads and less than 400hp blah blah...."so where do you race"?...in the end  it turned out he knew the car from the mag article I wrote a few years back about it...." the red and white thing?....yeah I love that"

still haven't sorted out the gearbox yet.

hey Colonel the cluster should have a part number ending in 497, the third gear should be 492, check 'em....I'll get the input. :roll:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:28:38 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline rgn

« Reply #2935 on: October 23, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »
Possession is called receiving stolen goods in this country
I guess it is too bad if you owned them before hand?   :cheers:

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #2936 on: October 27, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

I could try to hunt down a Menard Indy engine for you - probably bolt right up.

errr... really? I just looked it up and as a rev limited 10 000rpm  buick 6 it could indeed just bolt up and blast us into history.
I can't imagine there is much use for them these days... how much do you reckon?

rH+

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Pendine Sands Report
« Reply #2937 on: October 27, 2012, 10:11:40 AM »
Hey all, a report from sunny (ahem) UK.

For those who missed it, The good Lady Hedgash, junior and myself are now living on campus at the University of Nottingham where I have joined the world of practical academia. By practical I mean we get to make stuff and we have some pretty cool tools to do this with. Think 6 axis routers, 3D printers and industrial laser cutters. Rolls Royce uses one of our machines to do some structural refining on part prototypes.

That said I also have a bunch of talented students to come up with some ideas to. I have set the task of designing a new Landspeed Museum for my class this year and so as part of our research I organised a bus trip to Pendine Sands, the UK home of landspeed racing.

Basically this beach, located in southern wales was chosen because the cars were getting to fast for Brooklands and local tracks and they needed somewhere longer and straighter. PS is about 9 miles long and straight and what I didn't realise until I got there is that it is also very very wide when the tide goes out. Unlike many UK beaches it has a good firm sand and not pebbles so it forms a good surface. The place was known about due to TT bike races carried out on the sand.

Malcolm Campbell broke world records there amongst other big names but it pretty much stopped around 1928 when J.G. Parry-Thomas crashed and died there. (Chain drive failed partially decapitating him...) Partly out of respect and partly because it felt unsafe Campbell started to look elsewhere for his attempts which of course saw him head to Daytona in the US.

The beach is used until this day though for driving events, for example Don Wales recently broke the UK electric landspeed record here and he is the grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell. I have been in contact with him and hopefully he will be able to give our students a talk. Top Gear also have used the beach for a number of episodes and the bikes still come to race. Other than that it is a sleepy Welsh seaside village with Holiday park and firing range. (We could not go down the beach until the flags were removed on our visit due to live firing exercises).

There is an existing Museum of Speed there which was closed due to winter but I had the chap who runs it come down and talk to us about the place. Nice Guy.

Next field trip for my students is to go to Beaulieu Motor Museum in Southampton. This is the home of some of the greatest landspeed cars in the world; a couple of Bluebirds, Goldenrod, the Slug and others. I can't wait. I have so far had the students research the mudflap out of Landspeed racing, the times, and who and what and so have had a great boost in my own knowledge of the history of it all.

Enjoying the UK, missing working on the tank.

Reverend Hedgash

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Pendine Sands Report
« Reply #2938 on: October 27, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »

Next field trip for my students is to go to Beaulieu Motor Museum in Southampton. This is the home of some of the greatest landspeed cars in the world; a couple of Bluebirds, Goldenrod, the Slug and others. I can't wait. I have so far had the students research the mudflap out of Landspeed racing, the times, and who and what and so have had a great boost in my own knowledge of the history of it all.

Enjoying the UK, missing working on the tank.

Reverend Hedgash

Golden Arrow?

Yes, I am a pedant.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2939 on: October 27, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
Send me a PM as I am just along the road from Nottingham - maybe we can meet up. The Speed Record Club has members across this country as well as the World.

The next speed event in the UK is the water speed records week at Coniston in the lake district - 5th to 9th November. The aquatic speedweek - unless it has rained at Bonneville.

The record cars on show at the moment at The Heritage Collection at Gaydon include the MG endurance and mile class racers, the JCB Dieselmax and the British steam car, as well as a Rover Metro and Rover 220 - both British class record holders.

Elvington Airfield near York has probably hosted more UK records than Pendine but its just a runway and is not open to the public. There is a an air museum alongside the airfield.

Brooklands in Surrey is now a museum site and there you can stand (if fit) on some of the remaining banking used by the early record breakers - Victor Hemery, L G Hornsted, Malcolm Campbell, John Cobb, Kenelm Lee Guiness amongst them.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.