By the way, I'm enjoying the mooosic.
So am I!! Thank you so much for the CD!!! I'm likin' the look of that big head poking out of that little hole...kinda reminds me of a prairie dog sticking its head out of its burrow!!!Lynda
Thanks Lynda,the pleasure's mine.
Now, it's been a busy two days....the landscape hasn't changed a whole lot, but there's a lot more stuff nailed down.
This could not be a more different affair than the Spirit of Sunshine's born in CAD gestation .......this is ...Cut to fit, weld , drive.
Yesterday I boxed the rear of the chassis and sorted how I was going to attach it to the rear axle. I gutted the motorbike and got the engine sitting in the rails and some rudimentary mounts arranged...
I gave myself a nice burn and at same time reminded myself of some little safety adages that really don't seem to change , no matter how long you've been away... Welds are hot,skin , particularly areas like the inside of the arm, face feet, back of knees are really really
sensitive....foundry gloves, leather sleeves...yeah, I've got 'em....but here's a gem that I remembered while I was looking at the area 4 inches up from my hand that was missing a big piece of skin. " When you are doing a series of beads in an irregular area, like for instance,a roll cage, or even a CHASSIS work toward yourself.....that means you'll never be leaning over a red hot weld, or resting your arm on it.
Today The Colonel and PJQ came over . It was all stations go Pete got busy sorting out some engine mounts Graham set to sorting the wiring for the motor. I went at the front end. I managed to nail the chassis, finish welded that and then turned to the steering box.
I managed to get the mount worked out and then commenced cutting the steering column. Like an idiot I turned the shaft and it would out of the worm ....cutting a long story short it required some intervention from the Colonel, a wash and a bit of farnarkling before we got it to work properly again, good one Goggles. I shortened the tie rod....flipped the drag link upside down and it was starting to get going. Pete had the motor mounted in such a way that we'll be able to tension the chain, he also cut up the mesh from the air box and made some little covers for the velocity stacks. Grummy had the wiring pretty well sorted at this stage and so we tried cranking it, we didn't have a fuel tank so I armed myself with a squeeze bottle of gasoline and a can of aerostart.....so when the velocity stacks caught fire, and the aerostart, and my hand.........eventually it fired and sounded ( without any exhaust on it )like a golf ball been shaken inside an empty can, not exactly "tough".
There still isn't any chain on it yet, The Colonel took the spline sleeve from the pinion and hopes to hog out the inside of a 14 tooth sprocket to weld to it. Here you can see me holding the piece of pipe against the primary sprocket which is what it will be welded to, stepping it out to meet the pinion which will have the cog welded on the spline sleeve.
I've got about an hour and a half of daylight after work each night and then Saturday , I'll try and get to the show Sunday......busy week....