Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171227 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2006, 11:34:52 PM »
Jon, how much to buy a larger star than Dolan?  Its a ego thing.............
Bob Drury

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Hydrafrolics
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2006, 11:45:06 PM »
Quote from: interested bystander
Nothing specific to the subject, but could it be that OZ is out there just somewhere West of Catalina??
 we are all SO tuned in to the same subject- beer, speed and the ladies, that it hasta be!!!

....let's just say it's a little off the bus route , which isn't necessarily a tragedy as my last few post would indicate I'd struggle to read a timetable......we'll know by the end of the weekend whether I need to go back to school or not :wink: I thought beer had just become a particularly unpopular discussion topic on this forum :twisted:

....and Bob , hook or by crook I'll get rich out of this tank thing you mark my words.....crikey! by Jove....huh? no prizemoney??......what? .....If I'd known that I probably would've gone and built some sort of crazy contraption out of discarded aeroplane bits and second-hand car parts and then tried to drag it out to the middle of the desert for some once a year event just to prove to people that I had all my marbles.....watch this space..............
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
ON SALE NOW
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2006, 11:45:23 PM »
Quote from: Bob Drury
Jon, how much to buy a larger star than Dolan?  Its a ego thing.............

How many do you need ?
I can get them for you wholesale.
If you like the red ones, we have a few spots left on the "Walk of Shame" for cheap.
No aceptimos Pesos. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Maxton Meet
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2006, 11:59:04 PM »
Jack

regarding a Maxton type event:

The great thing about having a limited population is that we are not overcrowded to begin with, but the unfortunate thing is we have the same small percentage of volunteers to run the event.

The DLRA has been fantastically run by a small group of party faithfull for its history but for any expansion, especially a Maxton type expansion it really needs to get all the members committing to helping out.

This is under discussion now with the best idea I've heard being to be able to run a vehicle you have to commit some hours to the event running.  I look forward to becoming a better contributor somehow in this respect next year as I have been a bum for the last three years.

Some talk was about separating the bike meet with the cars but that would be sad (because there are some great blokes and great bikes there that I would miss) and problematic. At least if it rains now everyone is affected equally!

I think there is something cool about us all being one group too, instead of a bunch of clubs competing against each other as it means everyone is in it together to make it work. Less politicking too.

A big issue with multiple meets is that Lake Gairdner is a seriously long distance from anywhere with typically a two to three day drive to get there. Travelling out there once a year would be enough for most competitors to handle I am presuming, and then there are issues regarding the State Park and others that also make multiple meets a tad complex.

I hear that Bonneville is looking much better this year for salt conditions which is great for all concerned, for safety and speed.

Why, we just might bringing our belly out in a couple of years if it continues that way...

rev H+
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:56:16 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Dr Goggles

Might?
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »
Will!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Bob Drury

Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2006, 12:08:39 AM »
Rev, I thought all youse guys was convicts...if we come down to race, you wouldn't be playing Dueling Banjos on the old jews harp would you?
Bob Drury

Offline Dr Goggles

squeal like a pig!
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2006, 12:33:13 AM »
ma cuthin he playda bangjo! :shock:

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Convicts
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2006, 12:35:51 AM »
Bobbet,

The stupid thing the English did was pack up all the interesting people from the UK and send them to live on the world's largest island in the sun, while the rest of them stayed on a cold little rock off the coast of a (now united) Europe. No wonder they can't win at cricket.

If you went to Tasmania you might be in trouble regarding banjoes, a few of those "non city types" there. Think "Deliverence 4: Trouble Down Under". Stars a holidaying Burt Reynolds with his secretary Paris Hilton who gets eaten by the drooling dolts from Launceston.

Dr Goggles' cousin indeed plays a mean version of duelling banjos but he is a Victorian, and Victoria was free settled (with convict labour from other states, like it is now). I am sure he can be coerced to provide a soundtrack to your excursion to Gairdner.

There are other types I'd be more afraid of though. Some members are the ah... how should I say it... outback types unacustomed to civil niceties who would rip your arms off and shove them down your throat if you looked at them funny... Just smile and nod at everyone like they are from Texas and carrying a gun.

rH+
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:53:03 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WELCOME ABOARD
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2006, 01:33:06 AM »
You are doing a good job in avoiding our mistakes.
When I mention a Maxton type event, I mean just that.
You must have some available runway surface left over from WW2 that is closer to your population.
 The salt is certainly the best and you should always focus on that.
 Smaller meets on a hard surface can be very user friendly and are not as much work as you might think.
 When you divide up the duties you will still have time to race.
 The closer to the population you are will better generate workers that have no desire to race but just be part of the action.
 4 or more race meets can be scheduled without the expense and commitment to a once a year deal with no backup plan.
I think the 1 mile run up to a 132ft. trap is something that could happen all over the world.
If you standardize the rules and procedures you can race the guy in south Africa and England at the same time.
Instant (hands off) timing and the power of the Internet can put common interests together.

(coded note to the Americans)
I just wana kick their butt.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Bob Drury

Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2006, 12:57:56 PM »
Jeez Jack, a post that I can both understand, and makes sense at the same time!  :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2006, 01:34:49 PM »
Rev --

You could even use the SCTA format with clubs from differen t areas assigned the duties.  I could send you the Giant Conspiracy rules under a different cover.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SEND IN YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »
I would be happy to send you all the Geargrinders to help you learn the hard way.
I would send some Rod Riders but the Bail Bond guy really has a fit and will want to send Moose along.
"Racin ain't kind"
"Tradition unhampered by progress is responsible for the wide influence of the British Empire today."

Offline Dr Goggles

Gittin' Heavy
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2006, 07:41:17 PM »
Cripes.....that tradition thing was deep Jack.....but you're right , you can refer back to the Rev's post on forced migration , it sums up my feelings perfectly.

For those who didn't know the DLRA is a discreet club not an affiliation of smaller clubs.....so we manage to avoid inter-club battles , ours are between the mad and the sane , the young and the old , cars and bikes or the usual GM Vs Ford stuff......simple really.

Offline Dr Goggles

on we go
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
Long time no hear.......We've been getting stuff done on the 'tank. This week I finished the gear shift , tidied up a few details on the firewall , built the mount for the fuel tank , The Grump and I built the tightest set of extractors ever and I embarked on the journey of a lifetime , yes , building the water tank.........The dictionary of swear words wouldn't go anywhere near the required....I made it out of 3mm mild sheet, we estimate it'll hold about 60 litres or so( about 13 gallons) and has five horizontal baffles in order to flow top to bottom via the longest possible route.....working on a steel "box" of that volume with any power tool is a somewhat noisy thing to do......I think my neighbors are pooling their cash to hire a hit-man to finish me off as soon as possible.

On another front I made a phone enquiry about a partly finished bellytank with a merlin in it for sale.....turns out it's owned by Lucky Kaiser a long time builder and racer from Queensland who appeared this year with a 750 Trumper in a pencil body but failed to get past the scrutineers for several reasons.......when he gets past 'em it will be a serious contender

later we talk. :wink:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FIT FINISH AND CAPACITY
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2006, 10:12:59 AM »
The last water tank that Nolan built was measured to fit the frame in the nose just as tight as could be made.
IT was a beautiful job of fitted and welded aluminum.
It was all straight cut pieces with some folded corners and the rest was welded and fit pretty good.
That evening ,I came over to check on the progress and found the tank was all radius in the panels and really fit the space available.
 I had no idea who and how all that extra work happened , but now it was better than ever.
As we were locking up that night he said "I saw you looking at the tank and you never actually asked about it." What happened, was during the day he fired it up and chuffed a head gasket into the water jacket and the squeeze from 1 jug " PILLOW POOFED" the tank to fit.
It was an unintentional result ,but he silently enjoyed the credit for all the extra work.
 If you were brave enough to ask , he was brave enough to share the truth.
That is really the important part for both sides that needs more work.