Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171415 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2006, 12:16:51 AM »
If something works but it is not pretty, that is my favorite.
 If asked, I won't hint that it works but suggest it is just a temporary short cut until the pretty one gets back from polishing.
I have spent more time polishing off questions than polishing parts.
One of the most efficient aero packages I have ever seen is from a really unthought of source.
The true lines are confused to the on looker with a mish mash of stickers that trick the eye .
 The viewer will often dismiss it as junk.
Too bad for them. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Reverend Hedgash

stuck on stickers
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2006, 02:40:36 AM »
Your post has caught my eye, Jack.

What exactly is, "One of the most efficient aero packages I have ever seen is from a really unthought of source"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Please explain.

Rev.H+

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SPEED SECRETS
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2006, 02:58:28 AM »
An aero package is used that is the result of some extensive and successful testing.
It's use at Bonneville is on another brand that one would not connect with the brand represented by the streamlining.
Dimensions in excess of those found to be successful will fail in less than ideal conditions that are seldom seen over the distances traveled.
"Good theoretical designs produce only theoretical results."
"It is better to watch first and then think instead of doing all the thinking first yourself and then end up just watching."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Komplete Klutch
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2006, 05:14:10 AM »
He he he....I'm back from the shed and although it doesn't work I know what will......kind of like you said Jack....and very much as so many things on this car have been.....don't sweat the outcome just GET STARTED,each little scratch built device has been the same , we build what we think will work and from there we can see ( if we're lucky) where we want to be rather than wearing out the pencils and our patience only to find that the "ultimate design" is just that and not a functional item at all.

My fears about not having enough mechanical advantage were unfounded..it was ridiculously light but it just didn't move enough fluid to throw the clutch.....I figure going from 3/4 to a 1' item like that in my '64 delivery will nail it...and um, no Rev' no cuts , no burns :shock: .....unbelievable hey?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

No burns?
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2006, 05:22:25 AM »
I think you burnt your reputation on today's post on the DLRA site...

rH+
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:41:31 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
GO FIGURE
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2006, 05:43:14 AM »
If you can do the math for a bore and stroke to establish an engine size, you can do the math to tell you what the piston size and stroke will do for the clutch. :wink:

Offline interested bystander

aussie tank
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2006, 08:59:32 PM »
Nothing specific to the subject, but could it be that OZ is out there just somewhere West of Catalina??
 we are all SO tuned in to the same subject- beer, speed and the ladies, that it hasta be!!!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

oz beely tank
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2006, 09:13:42 PM »
I wen t right over Jack Ds post:

He likes things that work but are not pretty.

Your're a Streisand and F 117 fan, Right??

oz beely tank
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
I wen t right over Jack Ds post:

He likes things that work but are not pretty.

Your're a Streisand and F 117 fan, Right??

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: GOOD FIGURE
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2006, 04:34:58 AM »
Quote from: JackD
If you can do the math for a bore and stroke to establish an engine size, you can do the math to tell you what the piston size and stroke will do for the clutch. :wink:

yes however I was worried about the added effect of the effort required ( there are two points here ...like a normal pedal it's the length of the pedestal and the distance of the push rod from the fulcrum point), going to an inch will give me another 12.5% throw , I hope that does it , I've still got adjustment on the pivot point of the throw out lever as well , which will reduce the distance required( slightly)and finally I haven't got right in and worked out whether the slave is completely evacuated at the start of the stroke and thus giving me full travel.......

Hey Rev' I've been looking for that photo of you in the mink coat with the mirrors on and the handle-bar moustache , I know you're gonna tell everyone it was for a fancy-dress party ,but I know better......next you'll be riding a chromed up Harley :wink: .....any more of that silly talk and you'll be chocolates sunshine.Anyway I'd be careful besmirching my reputation because it'll only reflect on you........like , shhhhhhh he must be one too :wink:   :shock:  :wink:

BTW Bystander are saying Bab's is ugly???.....it's a beuatiful hand beaten track nose I reckon :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
PERFECTION
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2006, 10:26:05 AM »
"It shows ta go ya the Bellytank has not been perfected yet.
When they are, the Chinese will build them cheaper and everybody will have at least one.
LSR is safe for now.
Not enough people have figured how to make enough money yet and completely ruin it for those that choose to do it another way." :wink:

Offline Bob Drury

Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2006, 07:37:15 PM »
What?  There is no money to be made?  What the hell have I mortgaged the house for?  I built my car for fame and fortune, and now you have the balls to tell me there is no money to be made?  Shit.............
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
HELPLESS HOPELESS
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »
(The following is written in American so the Downunders can't read it.)

It was never presumed anybody from Washington anything could be saved and we just put up with the Oz's enough so they will feel good staying home and that serves to make us feel good. :wink:

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Staying home
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2006, 09:02:54 PM »
Fine. We don't want to run on your lumpy overcrowded track anyway, mate.

Reverend H.

"The U.S. is a great place to keep all the Americans"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:43:34 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Staying home
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2006, 11:30:09 PM »
Quote from: Reverend Hedgash
Fine. We don't want to run on your lumpy overcrowded track anyway, mate.

Reverend H.

"The U.S. is a great place to keep all the Americans"

You got it right.
 You can only buy so many t-shirts.
 When the meet is so large you don't see all the people in a week or more it is too large.
 Other locations are developing their program and the use of the salt will expand as conditions permit.
It had to bottom out for people to get going with other events.
One or two runs a day sucks the big one.
You OZ folks should consider a Maxton type meet in a series to expand your horizon.
You are also in a good position to host FIA and FIM runs on a regulsr basis.