Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171606 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1095 on: March 15, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
GMH Monaro finally bust through the 200mph mark, in fact around 212(?), well done, lovely looking thing too. This is a seminal Aussie muscle car and worth plenty on the street. I am really glad someone is using it for this event rather than mothballing it.

Hey
Not fair
I drive mine occaisonally
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1096 on: March 15, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
Yes you do and it is a beauty, certainly no trailer queen.

And on that note I would like to say that you are no trailer queen either, you do what you do.

Continuing on from what Pete said about teams it is indeed a herd of cats we have here but one that seems to work.

For those not in our team, Graham aka Colonel Grumm has been on this project with us from day one. Although he might not have put as many hours into each weekend that we have that is because he hasn't have to; he has years more experience than us with breaking engines and crashing things so he doesn't need to witness our trial by mistake.

Dr G and I are of the mindset that we need to go down every path to figure out why something is done (or more accurately why it is not done) in a particular way. All along the Colonel will say a simple statement which typically turns out to be the best solution, but we will go our own way working out why every other way doesn't work until we understand the logic of his solution.

He was the donor of our original Buick engines, masterminded our move to VN commodores (and gave us one of those too) provided the VW steering solution and the rack itself, the diff, the porting, the wiring and his expertise at the salt has kept us going when things started to break on a number of occasions each year.

So I would like to say a huge thank you and say we definately could not have done it without you.

I would be honoured to assist on your approaching Salt Lake build and running in any way I can.

Dik

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1097 on: March 15, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »
And as mentioned before, Peter Quick (yep that's his real name) has also become an invaluable friend and team member. He had started his Lakester build prior to us and met each other at our first visit to the lake (drawn to our campsite by the sonerous but eery tones of Deadbolt-scariest band in the world (their words not mine)).

Pete has for the past two years taken on the tough task of towing our vehicle the 3000km round trip to the salt with his troopy and been on call as recovery vehicle. On top of that he has provided us with tools, advice and culturally significant diversions to keep us going.

Now that your lakester build has started again (found a new workshop location) you can be safe in the knowledge that you have plenty of favours to draw upon.

Here is a photo of Pete at the lake doing his best bird watcher impersonation:

Thanks again Pete.

Dik

Offline Freud

« Reply #1098 on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:22 PM »
As a proper key carrying member of the KILO KLUB at Bonneville, I offer, without the sanction of the Mayor of the

KILO KLUB, an invitiation to stop by for a get acquainted session.

Ya can't bring that scantly clad dude to the 'otel because Sherry would be shocked at indecency. The rest of us

would find some tasks for him to keep him out in the sun while we have an educational conversation.

We will be in the same location most of the time so the responsibility of hookin up falls to you nomadic vagrants.

This offer will be extended again before August. You will be shunned at Salt Talks if u don't check in with us first.

A key carrying member of the Kilo Klub

der FREUD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:23:50 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #1099 on: March 16, 2010, 04:30:50 AM »

Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #1100 on: March 16, 2010, 04:32:44 AM »

Regards,
PJQ

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #1101 on: March 16, 2010, 04:33:31 AM »

Regards,
PJQ

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1102 on: March 16, 2010, 04:56:55 AM »
Yep
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1103 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:11 PM »
Very well done, everyone. Freud, since it looks alot like me reclining in the chair in your Kilo Club photo, can I be a member too? (I think the Rev and Dr should join ahead of me though, as their achievements outrank mine considerably.....)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1104 on: March 16, 2010, 08:51:11 PM »
I'm probably not the only one who looks at that photo of a little shade tent in the middle of a vast salt lake and thinks......"YEAH!!!!!!"....that's my idea of a really relaxing week...... thousands, sorry millions...actually more than likely BILLIONS would fail to see the attraction but not me.... some binoculars, a lot of ice, a radio and a banana lounge....oh yeah and someone to drive me to dock each night....Can't promise when I'll get there though fERD...........................

I spent some time in the shed last night...started unhooking the motor, getting ready to haul it out. Took off the water tank ......cleaned a bit of the aluminium stuff with phosphoric , the inner moons and other bits and pieces come up nicely with a mild solution and a scotchbrite........that red dust mixed with a little bit of oil......ain't nice stuff it kills your hands and stains everything but most of all nothing siezes things quicker ...even the handle on my big bottle jack stuck.....

I believe it could be a military weapon If you dropped a shipload of that red dust on hi-tech equipment that would be the end of it.......it's a super-galling compound and it's conductive
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline fredeuce

• New folks
« Reply #1105 on: March 16, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »

I spent some time in the shed last night...started unhooking the motor, getting ready to haul it out. Took off the water tank ......cleaned a bit of the aluminium stuff with phosphoric , the inner moons and other bits and pieces come up nicely with a mild solution and a scotchbrite........that red dust mixed with a little bit of oil......ain't nice stuff it kills your hands and stains everything but most of all nothing siezes things quicker ...even the handle on my big bottle jack stuck.....

I believe it could be a military weapon If you dropped a shipload of that red dust on hi-tech equipment that would be the end of it.......it's a super-galling compound and it's conductive

Dr. G,
You need to look at the oil/red dust compound from the glass half full perspective. This is the bush mechanic's loctite! A whole new marketing opportunity. :wink: :wink:
Fredeuce

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1106 on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »
I know a pessimist that drowned in a half empty bath...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1107 on: March 16, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »

Half full - half empty?

Depends on one's perspective -

Are we pouring, or are we drinking?

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1108 on: March 16, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »

and yet his friend the optimist barely got himself wet.............

In other breaking news The Colonel just put himself on the market...there's a certain bike shop that is gonna be a bit short for a while........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rob

« Reply #1109 on: March 22, 2010, 03:37:09 AM »

Did Rod Hadfield run anything, I saw your picture of his transporter?

Gary

Rod ran at least one run on the GPS track in the light blue wagon, if it wasn't him, he has a twin. :-D

Cheers,
Rob