Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171438 times)

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1080 on: March 15, 2010, 12:28:07 AM »
Rods.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1081 on: March 15, 2010, 12:29:45 AM »
GMH Monaro finally bust through the 200mph mark, in fact around 212(?), well done, lovely looking thing too. This is a seminal Aussie muscle car and worth plenty on the street. I am really glad someone is using it for this event rather than mothballing it.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1082 on: March 15, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »
Very nice healey
I was wondering if they were going to take a shot at Lake G.  Saw this car at WOS last September - in fact, it was what pushed me over the ledge to attend.  Beautifully prepared.  Any word on how fast they ran?  They were having supercharger issues at Bonneville.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1083 on: March 15, 2010, 12:44:47 AM »
Somebody gave us some tee shirts... and here they are! We have our tame German photographer's photos to come but these are a sneak peak... thanks greatly for them.

That somebody( you blinkin' ingrate) would be Stainless ....... :-D :-D :-D and also thanks muchly to Sum as well for sending us the Bonneville 2009 shirts......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1084 on: March 15, 2010, 12:45:51 AM »
Very nice healey
I was wondering if they were going to take a shot at Lake G.  Saw this car at WOS last September - in fact, it was what pushed me over the ledge to attend.  Beautifully prepared.  Any word on how fast they ran?  They were having supercharger issues at Bonneville.

I heard 189....that's pretty quick for that thing
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline fredeuce

• New folks
« Reply #1085 on: March 15, 2010, 02:59:26 AM »
We visited the actual plane our tanks came from.

Can you believe that it is actually on the way, like really really on the way, as in you can see it from the road when you drive pretty much the fastest way from Melbourne to Lake G? I know this may not be significant coindence for many, but it just furthers that strange list we have for this project that somehow gives it an almost mystical tinge. (or is that minge?)

Yep, this is good old WH700 with its nose over the fence like a cow in a paddock. I think I'll pay tribute each year on the way from now on now that I know where it is and give its nose a rub.

(Also DrG tells me that the plane owner's cousin is in the DLRA. Now with a population of 20 million and a club membership now hitting a thousand, that is fairly long odds, even if his family are catholic. More co-inkydink?)

Rev ,
Goggles is quite right about the cousin. That happens to be my good self. Have been trekking to the lake since 1999. Drove my old green '32 "roaster"  out there in 2005 /2006. Thats me. I spoke briefly with Goggles at your table on Thursday night. You were sitting there with Dirty Dave and Chris among others. Turns out Chris is  neighbour of my brother. He spoke with her briefly. What's that expression about six degrees of separation? May need to revise that back to two or three.   Quite amazing.

As for that Catholic remark I don't think so . I've spotted condoms in the cupboard. My conscience is clear, no guilt here. :-D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:16:57 AM by fredeuce »
Fredeuce

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1086 on: March 15, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »
here's a pic of the car in marshalling taken by Greg Wapling who runs the club website and also handles time slips at the meet...

you may notice the smashing pale blue leathers with the white stars...they belong to Brett de Sloop the new big name in 1000cc APSF he ran 232 and a bit on this , (another shot by Greg, ta mate)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:23:29 AM by Dr Goggles »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1087 on: March 15, 2010, 11:33:54 AM »
[We feel that the standard valve train is the cause as the hydraulic lifters will only handle 6250rpm for so long and then pump up holding the valves open.]

Geez  it sounds like it might have kept making 190 + laps all dy---well done guys!!!!!!!!

I forget what tires and gears you are pulling now--you might get more out of solid Rollers than a gear change!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #1088 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »
Fine effort guys. Please be sure to visit us at Speed Week. Spirits of the Lakes E/FMS #569.

If all goes well we are still planing on going back to your meet again in 2011.

Did Rod Hadfield run anything, I saw your picture of his transporter?

Congratulations on your runs.

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1089 on: March 15, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
No Gary I don't think Rod had a steer this year..... I didn't see him in a suit ....

Sparky, 28's , 2.77.....solids and roller rockers, and more crank-case evac... and , and, and....a 10 bolt when I get my act into gear

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #1090 on: March 15, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
Turns out Chris is  neighbour of my brother. He spoke with her briefly. What's that expression about six degrees of separation? May need to revise that back to two or three.   Quite amazing.

...we camped at Chris’ place on the way to the lake. Is your brother on the duck farm next door?

Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline fredeuce

• New folks
« Reply #1091 on: March 15, 2010, 06:48:38 PM »
Turns out Chris is  neighbour of my brother. He spoke with her briefly. What's that expression about six degrees of separation? May need to revise that back to two or three.   Quite amazing.

...we camped at Chris’ place on the way to the lake. Is your brother on the duck farm next door?

Short answer no. The duck farmers I do know however as I have some professional dealings with them and also their grandparents live across the road from me!

My brother lives to the north of Chris. You can't see his house from the road as it is behind the hill. His driveway is just before the sweeping corner at the top of the hill as you drive out to Chris' place. Blink and you miss it.
Fredeuce

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1092 on: March 15, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
We stayed at Chris's and Dirty Dave's too. Beautiful place with Dave serving sensational steaks.

Thanks Chris and Dave, that was a highlight of our journey.

Dik

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #1093 on: March 15, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »
As a bit of background for the viewers at home, the Spirit of Sunshine is surrounded by a group of like-minded blokes... the word team doesn’t really fit, more like a collective of strong-willed nutters that click together easily. We stay in touch during the year, travel to the lake together, occasionally help out with separate projects, and definitely share the highs and lows of this sport and life in general.

We all ride motorbikes (except for The Rev) and share a couple of other things in common.
Lack of money, streetwise smarts when it comes to building things, and a deranged, but fierce, determination to succeed.

Please bear with our enthusiasm for one of the bikes running 230+ MPH. Although we’d all acknowledge the Booza as a great bike, none of us are in a position to own one or have the inclination to do so. The bikes in this group are old enough to qualify for Historic racing and there’s a constant state of re-build in backyard sheds with bits fabricated, borrowed, scrounged, or won on ebay for $6.80 plus delivery.

The tank is the only car in the group, and the 230 bike was a 72 Suzuki GT750, built as described to 1000cc. That’s just background stuff to set the scene, not meant for anything else.

** a Team works together cohesively as a unit. Getting any three from this group to focus on one job is like herding cats.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #1094 on: March 15, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »
I just wanted to add that Big Gaz and I also got to get properly acquainted with Lord and Lady Dirtington (Dirty Dave and Chris) and also count this as a highlight of the trip!

Lynchy