Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171284 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1035 on: March 12, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »
We just heard that Brett De Stoop on bike 509 running APS/F 1000
with a motor he cast at home ran 231 last run on Friday
in perfect conditions
G
:cheers:
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1036 on: March 12, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
That's great, but I was hoping to hear what the belly tank did?  This is their build site. :cheers:

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #1037 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
That's great, but I was hoping to hear what the belly tank did?  This is their build site. :cheers:

From previous page  --  :cheers:

Reverend Hedgash reporting on the road with Grumms iPod doohickey. Heavy rain on Sunday filled the lake and we weren't able to get started until Tuesday afternoon. Weather good from then on. Lots of cars going over 200 mph but poor old Norm Hardinge had troubles again with his engine. Worse still his one good run the timing light didn't work and he thought he had the right revs for 200 so he will have to do it when he goes back to Bonneville this year.

Our story is both Goggles and I had ordinary first runs getting back into the drivers seat, with mine particularly bad upset by going into the wrong gear (!)

We had a few issues that Grumm sorted out and at the end of the day our best run was 193mph which was as fast as it would go before blowing a seagull report when we get back. 
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1038 on: March 12, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
See what happens on a new page, you miss the last post.  Thanks for the update. :-D

Offline don

« Reply #1039 on: March 12, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
I read this whole thread starting last week, that killed a few hours! great story and 193 is nothing to sneeze at.
But could some please translate for me what the H is "before blowing a seagull report"    :-o

Offline hitz

« Reply #1040 on: March 12, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
I hope "blowing" in the last sentence is not a key word!

harv

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1041 on: March 12, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
Hi All, we're still on the road, we stayed at my brother's place two hours from home.....we'd driven 13 hours non-stop from the lake and it was late so...I'll give a comprehensive update when I get home........The Reverend used his phone to send that last message of his and I guess it was using predictive text.....seagull is probably what the phone thought he meant, it was a SEAL....hey it's all sea-life innit?......

I ran 192 plus on Wednesday and then 193 on Thursday, I noticed a little oil on the cowl after the 193 and when we opened her up it was from the front seal....both runs the car pulled strongly until 195( same GPS top speed each run, I just middle it on the clocks better the second day I think) where it went away.We still have a stock valve train in the motor so whether it's the lifters pumping up or positive crank case pressure we ain't sure but we didn't hurt it so that was good news, we elected not to run it again.Jack, if you're reading this I want to have a chat about a few things..... :wink:

Brettie's 231 is a monstrous achievement on a 1000cc Waterbottle that he cast himself, at home, and then tuned....on the dyno he built at home to put in the frame and bodywork he built himself.......at home......

There were quite a few people who finally got 200 this year....three cars in C/Pro thumped it.

In all we're very happy....but we're also filthy, burnt and very very tired...........

I'll tell you more later :wink:

BTW: Bob, you got your photo's.....and you're gonna love 'em. :-D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:03:55 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1042 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:47 PM »
Ah, the wonderful letdown of an event being done.  You're bushed but happy, and looking forward to sleeping in your own bed, right?

Sounds like you had a fine time.  Congratulations -- on not hurting the motor (well, you'll find out for sure, but at least it's not obvious) and a bunch of good runs.

Welcome back to the world.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline don

« Reply #1043 on: March 12, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
OK Than easier to blow a seal then a seagull!  :-D
Take that as you will!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1044 on: March 12, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
Are you a Navy man?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1045 on: March 12, 2010, 06:29:26 PM »
193 - that's a 30 mph increase over last year - well done!  No fuel cavitation, no data logging - for a dial-it-in-and-go effort on the engine management, and a new engine, that's GREAT!

Knocking on the door of 200 with a combination that should be easy to tweak now that you have a baseline - 2011 looks very promising.

Congratulations, Sunshine! :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline don

« Reply #1046 on: March 12, 2010, 08:55:32 PM »
Are you a Navy man?

Nope. Just found that amusing even though I messed up what I was trying to say.
As I said I went through the whole thread this week. While reading it there where some things said that I had no idea what they meant. Had me scratching my head sometimes. The lanuauge maybe the same but it is different.
When I read blowing a seagull I was trying to figure out what that meant. Did they get light at speed and it tried to fly like a sealgull? Or was it something us, I did not even think about the computer and the auto complete of words. blowing a seal I understand.

But what I really want to know is if they are still talking off in 2nd gear?
What RPM where they running at 195 mph. If they did not change the gearing that things should have a lot more in it. But of course that depends what RPM that V6 has the most torque.
Really enjoyed this build thread, but they most likely need a break after a week on the salt.
I am looking forward to their story.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1047 on: March 12, 2010, 11:06:10 PM »
Don,
Quick note, torque does not make you go fast, horsepower does. Toque is a measurement of force, horsepowe is a measurement energy (or work if you will) i.e. force x time which is what mekes you go fast.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1048 on: March 12, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »
But what I really want to know is if they are still talking off in 2nd gear?
What RPM where they running at 195 mph. If they did not change the gearing that things should have a lot more in it. But of course that depends what RPM that V6 has the most torque.

yup, still launching in second.... we're gonna put in a new new rear end this year, we have signed up to the Church of the Apostles of the seven and a half inch 10 bolt under the Prophet Bill Smith....with the current motor I reckon she'll pull a 2.4:1

Last year we ran 5200rpm for 161mph , 193 is 6250 or so.The cam should still be making power up to 7000 and a bit beyond ....... it just went away at that point though...I was getting about 12mph a mile, so it wasn't like I was having to pedal it...it was adequate,it will def do 200.

Now, be patient, I will write the whole thing up but I have a gig tomorrow.....and a thirst today after unpacking ... :wink:

just as a taster here's one of the Rev at the start...our Odyssey type gel battery carked it so the Colonel put an antenna base on the side of the car as a hot point so we could jump it at the line without having to take the cowl off...

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1049 on: March 13, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
Doc, Rev and Grumm, what an odyssey (forgive the battery word play) for you guys this year.  A 30 MPH increase is nothing to sneeze at, that is huge and we all wish we could add 30 to our number.  I know you would like to do 200, and I'll bet you'll be there next year.  Can't wait to see pics and read the story. 
Great pic to start us drooling   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O