Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171131 times)

Offline Kiwi Paul

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #990 on: February 25, 2010, 12:19:10 AM »
Any room left to put a couple of drain back hoses from the Valve covers to the Oil Pan? All my old Smallblock Ford engines had those, they were notorious for filling the Covers up.....Don`t forget, leaky gaskets there = oil on exhaust...

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #991 on: February 25, 2010, 12:39:07 AM »
Can't seem to find  a side on shot of the engine bay right now but there isn't much room at either end of the covers...and of course as you note it's not the kind of job that you do in a slap dash fashion ....oil+red hot headers = FIRE!........

I just had a discussion with the Castlemaine Rod shop about bellhousings for the brand new Alloytec quad-cam motor that we have and I am increasingly of the mind that we are never going to use it, there ain't enough adaptor parts available, the ECU situation is a nightmare and if we break it we could never afford to fix it...... that's on top of having to build all new ancillaries, scatter shield, inlet , exhaust,cooling system , change the cowl, no-one makes billet flywheels for them, they have a strange clutch ....... all that time and effort could be spent on the motors we have ...that are dirt cheap, simple, and have a proven performance history rather than potentially expensive stabs in the dark...........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #992 on: February 25, 2010, 03:11:30 AM »
Well
Get it on ebay
Its' taking up room in my shed that cold be used for old Hienkels
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #993 on: February 26, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
Doc, where does the vacuum pump draw from?

I've been tinkering with the idea of running at least a vacuum pump on the Pug we've got in the Berk (I'd prefer a main girdle W/ a dry sump but the $$$ aren't showing up  :-( ).

With it I was going to run the inlet of the pump to the crankcase and put a vacuum regulator on the cam cover vent (with a filter on the regulator inlet to try and keep the salt ingestion to a minimum).

It's not as good as a dry sump scavenge stage, but should help, as there wouldn't be any partial flow going against the drainback flow path. Pulses maybe, but the thought I have is a small positive pressure on the top end (relative to the crankcase) should "encourage" the flow (aerate it some as well, unfortunately).

Just a thought, without knowing how yours is plumbed I have no idea how applicable it may be.

That and the Pug has a fitting in the block that appears to be baffled for some emissions vent (it's where I was going to plumb the pump in). I would run the discharge from the pump to a fairly large separator tank with a restricted drainback fitting run back to the sump (say maybe a #40 ~ 2.5mm restriction).

Probably no time left for you to build any of it though. :-(

Good luck.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #994 on: February 26, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
here's some posts from a couple years back ...describing how I made a vacu-pan from a anti-pollution air injection set-up.....

Nov 20 2007Well , I had an inkling that lower than atmospheric pressure in the crankcase would help , and I spent some time talking to someone who's had success with these motors before , he was very helpful and that was his suggestion ,and ,true to my suspicions ,he had a solution that was more grocery store than jewellery store....that's what we like...

So ,off I went to a wrecking yard...where I scavenged a reed valve and some stainless tubing from an air-pump/injection anti pollution set-up from a 323/Laser ...these are not what you would call hotly sought after items ......a quick look at a system built for a Clevo and a coldie courtesy of the owner and all I had to do was tell some stories......listen to some told by another weird pest/home creator type like myself and I was on my way......Everytime I go to Bill's yard I wish i'd taken my camera because I always see little bits and pieces , knuckles , pivots . STUFF that I can use to make what I've already built better... most of the stuff I'm talking about is scrap , rubbish that lies in the open ....sometimes , sometimes when I manage to get his imagination to fire ( it needs a bit of aerostart usually but it does work)..he 'll go on a hyperactive scramble around , under and over in an effort to show me the different examples of how something is done.....but on the really rare occasion I get to see inside the "inner sanctum" a freight container with his booty from swap meets....Methanol injection manifolds from the fifties , Ford GT stuff , blowers , Flathead performance gear(?)...usually a visit to this container is preceded by a warning accompanied by a waving index finger held above his shoulder as you are following him ..." this isn't for sale".......

Now this fella I mentioned who'd had experience with the V6's we're using also had some great advice about our harness and arm restraints.....all very useful and garnered from experience ...nothing to do with proving his importance just good helpful considered expert advice , it won't go unheeded.

Thanks Jack. wink

and then...

Dec 5 2007Today I got started on the home-style vacu-pan....welded a bung into one of the collectors....flared some stainless tube that was part of the booty that I collected and wended it( that's a word innit?) up through one of the few remaining spaces to where I'll put the valve on it....that tube is hard stuff..I had a go at it with my little tube bender and thought "nah , that's too useful to break on something I got for nothing".......so it got that old witches finger kind of look to it.......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #995 on: February 27, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
We got everything buttoned up yesterday, fitted the fire extinguishers, did a last minute check on it all, fitted up the lower bodywork, the wheels pumped the tires, fitted another temp gauge and generally farted around tidying up the shed for the trailering up.Today we'll drop it off the stands and clear the driveway of EVERY small piece of steel, screws, and all other tire puncturing items. Yesterday we discussed ( not for the first time) getting some rough tires and wheels for rolling her around on...Then we just need to organize the tools and spares and get the camping gear sorted....by then it will be Friday and that's when we're going.

There's scattered showers in the area of Lake Gairdner but the forecast looks great and so we're quietly confident.

5 days..........

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #996 on: February 27, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
Curious as to the ECU issue.  Sounds like you've got it licked.

Five days early - you guys are on it! :lol:

Great success to you next week.  Be safe, have fun, go fast, and give the folks who keep the record book something to edit.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rob

« Reply #997 on: February 27, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »
5 days 'til they leave, 8 'til race day...they've forgotten something for sure!

Was wondering about your ECU(s) myself Doc??

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #998 on: February 28, 2010, 04:29:47 AM »
Curious as to the ECU issue.

They're gonna be guesses, all the info on the motor and cam, injectors etc got sent with them and we're just hoping we're somewhere in the ballpark.......We should have them back by Tuesday.The motor runs with a stock computer and there's overrides on the fuel pump ....but we don't know if it works because we forgot to throw it the last time I drove the car with the old motor and it was breaking down at 5200, as expected......a prior build of this new motor turned to 7000rpm running N/A over the quarter so we just hope the tune we get has enough fuel up the top end.......and as you know , we haven't dynoed it ...so, like I said it's a guess.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:28:16 PM by Dr Goggles »

Offline Rob

« Reply #999 on: February 28, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Doc,

Are you're taking a notebook and cable to edit at the salt I assume?

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1000 on: February 28, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »
Our logging capability is still in doubt , if there's no logging...there'll be no fiddling......

Offline Freud

« Reply #1001 on: March 01, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »
Don't transport it on your race tires.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Rob

« Reply #1002 on: March 01, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »
Our logging capability is still in doubt , if there's no logging...there'll be no fiddling......
Makes sense to me, doubt RE on board hardware, on board software or PC software?

Enquiring minds and all that.

Rob

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1003 on: March 01, 2010, 05:07:07 AM »
Don't transport it on your race tires.

FREUD

fERd, I have four old white wall cross plies......exactly the same size as the rears, ....but that means we've an extra two inches of clearance on the front which will really speed up getting it into the trailer.....

Makes sense to me, doubt RE on board hardware, on board software or PC software?

Inquiring minds and all that.

Rob

I have no idea what you're talkin' about Rob.......do you mean Religious Education........ :?

...I got expelled from Sunday School

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #1004 on: March 01, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »
Hey Doc

Are you aiming to be in PA Saturday night or on the lake? BTW - I take it that Scotty that the motor came from is Scott (BlownVN) from Street Machine?

Lynchy