Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171645 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #960 on: February 11, 2010, 08:32:20 PM »
while I was in the workshop there was a crate there that contained a 180hp 1000cc V4 that was due to be exchanged in a warranty program from one of the large Italian manufacturers starting with A.. gee would it ever be a good powerplant for a liner.......

They're a pretty small package. And complete with an ECU

I am just trying to work out how to get one
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #961 on: February 14, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
Went to the Colonels workshop and collected the new motor on Saturday, few last minute things to do, did a compression check that showed everything between 170 and 195psi , stuck it in the trailer ....moments earlier I'd thought after we topped the oil "I should ask him if he's tightened the sump plug"...what I should have done was checked the sump plug...as we slid it on the deck of the trailer it neatly undid the plug  :roll:....few kilos of kitty litter there. Took it to my place and bolted up the flywheel and clutch and then slotted it in so it was at least sitting on the mounts.

Didn't feel too well yesterday, sore throat, headache......started gargling a bit of iodine, had some codeine, woke up this morning and coughed up an alien life form....so I took the day off and finished the motor fit.....I'd rather be at home by myself than sitting at a desk with everyone looking at me like I was carrying live ordinance...

18 days.............
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #962 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
Unh, Dr. G, while it's known widely here on the Forum that you're in a foreign country whre the rules are far different from those of the U S of A -- what "medicines" you've mentioned are enough to get the website shut down, all of us investigated as potential drug-smuggling terrorists, and a slap from Grandma that thinks cod liver oil is enough for any ailments.

Iodine AND codeine?  Whoa -- must make for a fun trip. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #963 on: February 15, 2010, 10:20:56 AM »
you should have stuck with the leagal drug of choice idione and "Black Jack" :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #964 on: February 15, 2010, 03:54:38 PM »
..the Iodine is "Betadine" antiseptic......to quote a certain movie it " tastes bad, real bad" and you really don't want to swallow it because it's no-good for the little bugs that keep everything in order , but when it comes to sore throats it's the job. The codeine is in Cold and Flu tablets....there's isn't a lot of it in there and there is a lot of paracetemol so for your livers sake you need to watch how many of those you have , sadly they don't have pseudoephedrine in them anymore.

The ad used to go "Soldier on with Codral , soldier on" ...true to their word you'd go from feeling like you had a gaping head and neck wound and semi consciousness to 100% , over the counter , non-prescription.

Got a bit done yesterday, just housework sort of stuff while I was fitting the motor up. Cleaning threads, changed a few bolts here and there, cleaned a few things up a bit. Had to drain the oil again so I opened up the hole in the sub floor a bit.Got the gearbox shift gantry sorted, moved the clutch line from where I'd tidied it to a spot a little further from the headers. Speaking of headers I cleaned them up and repainted them......it was only after I finished that I looked at the can and realised that although when I picked it up off the shelf in the shop it was in amongst the "flameproof" paints it was just "hi-temp"...so that'll cook off the first time we fire the motor :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #965 on: February 15, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »
Unh, Dr. G, while it's known widely here on the Forum that you're in a foreign country whre the rules are far different from those of the U S of A -- what "medicines" you've mentioned are enough to get the website shut down, all of us investigated as potential drug-smuggling terrorists, and a slap from Grandma that thinks cod liver oil is enough for any ailments.

Iodine AND codeine?  Whoa -- must make for a fun trip. . .

This coming from a country where adrenochrome is legal?

What happens in the desert stays in the desert, but since we have become active participants rather than mere spectators, all I can say is that Speedweek has a lot less fear and loathing these days...

I have some great footage of the Lady Hedgash cooking in our motorhome in slow motion. She invented a dish called "Gairgners" (pronounced Geggners)  which was canned apricot halves on jam on a small flapjack. Looked just like a raw egg yolk but very refreshing on the salt.

rH+

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #966 on: February 15, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
Rev, sir -- I had to look up adrenochrome -- and I grew up in the '60s.  Ain't it great?  As DuPont used to advertise - "Better Living Through Chemistry".

So now I've heard of adrenochrome.  I've also heard of "geggners".  I don't care much for apricots, though, but the dried ones are nice for a road-food snack, especially when eaten with salted peanuts.  I make our own home made jam.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled Forum topic.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

Re: Australian Belly Tank and Mojitos
« Reply #967 on: February 15, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
What happens in the desert stays in the desert, but since we have become active participants rather than mere spectators, all I can say is that Speedweek has a lot less fear and loathing these days.

Yeah well, I didn't even have one bottle of Jamiesons there last year, let alone three, I did have some after dinner drinks but they were largely full when put back on top of the piano at The Spirit of Sunshine Workshops........I even took some beer home :?.....That is some measure of the difference between spectating and competing....As mentioned earlier in the thread there was the possibility that there would be no ice truck at this years meet, that , I have to tell you was not a pleasant prospect....Hard work on some members parts has resulted in a contract to drop a freezer container at the lake to the great relief of many as it is feared that this year will be a hot one....last week there were consecutive days of 110F...

This year I'll be throwing some white rum, fresh mint and brown sugar in the trolley at Pt Augusta and knocking up a few Mojitos just as the sun sets before heading up to the canteen for some grub.............

IBA specified ingredients

† 4.0 cl White Rum
3.0 cl Fresh lime juice
3 sprigs of Mint
2 teaspoons Sugar

17 days..........

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #968 on: February 16, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
Dr G said that with so many bolt heads on it that it looked, "You know...".
I said "...English?" referring to the tendency of UK engineers to use 18 bolts when 4 well placed ones would do, and he said, "No, it looks kinda gay".
Reverend H+

Well, I finally got it all zipped up last night.......

and as I suspected it does look a little "Macho Macho Man"....the more observant amongst you will note that the hose spigot on the NRV looks a little tall, yes , it is, I have ordered a right angle one .

After that I continued on messing around in the engine bay, tidied up a backing plate/bracket that we made for the idler pulley which had some sharp edges on it( only a matter of time before I gave myself a reason to go to hospital on that) and fitted the throttle bodies........., throttle linkage and some of the heat shields......we'll be starting it this weekend if things go as planned.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #969 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »
While I'm a big fan of coining new euphemisms, this is clearly not English - it's not leaking.

Very impressive, this thrash.  Much success in - ohmygoodness 2 weeks?!?!? :-o

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #970 on: February 16, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »
Didn't feel too well yesterday, sore throat, headache......started gargling a bit of iodine, had some codeine, woke up this morning and coughed up an alien life form....so I took the day off and finished the motor fit.....I'd rather be at home by myself than sitting at a desk with everyone looking at me like I was carrying live ordinance...

Thanks, am at work with the same thing  :?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #971 on: February 21, 2010, 05:38:26 AM »
OK. Yesterday I put the fuel system together,that is the singular.....the truth is I put the fuel system together, completely, once....but I put it together to various states of completeness a lot of times.... There is very little room anywhere in our car and the area behind the rear bulkhead which contains the fuel tank, filter and pump is a madhouse.I methodically worked my way through every single wrong way to assemble it ( and even just now I thought to myself " oh, I should have , dah, dah ,dah ,dah ,dah.")before finally do it all in an order so that I could fit and tighten everything........it was a relief today when I filled the tank and it didn't leak anywhere......so by the end of yesterday I've got most of the muster done on getting to starting the motor today............We get into it this morning, the Rev is trying to nut out the megasquirt system he's built sorted out and the Colonel and I are out in the shed getting the final stuff done to start-up.

We fire the motor for the first time it splutters.....second kick it stumbles and the starter throws out, third time it fires and runs, but it stumbles off idle, though it was a bit off color the Colonel looked at me comically and said " is that louder than it was before?",  too right it was, much, much louder and with a sharper edge to the note..........The Colonel is a bit WFWAT after a birthday for his significant other yesterday, I've went to a fortieth, last night....The Colonel isn't looking like he's relishing an afternoon of gremlin chasing.....we stop for lunch, just for the exercise we swap the computer in the car to another stock one ( we ran with a stock ecu with a memcal chip last year), it ran fine..... so that was a relief, a bit of mix and match will sort out what's wrong with the chipped computer.

The Colonel also fitted some "idiot lights" to the switch bay in the cab, this stuff isn't really accessible when you're driving, it's six inches left of your head, we didn't have a light on the alternator, so it had no exciter working and the other one is an injector function so it's for startup.The dash, on the steering wheel, has changed slightly.....it's getting complicated , there's velcro for the GPS,a main switch toggle off/on(the starter button is just inside the front hoop where it's reachable from out side), a momentary button for the chute release, a 1x2 inch red light ...oil pressure.....I think that sums it all up

We put the water tank on and the tail bodywork,we had to do some fettling on the elbow fitting off the rollover/breather to clear the bodywork , the chute release is much improved , we're looking OK at this point and there's news of good salt ......

Offline joea

« Reply #972 on: February 21, 2010, 08:15:29 AM »
very f'n cooool.......:):)

keep it up...!!!

Joe :)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #973 on: February 21, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »
Do I hear the flutter of the " '10 Salt Race Butterflies"  stretching and drying their wings as they emerge from their cocoons.  Guys we can just feel the anticipation and the excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #974 on: February 21, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
Excellent news! 

There was talk of putting this thing on the dyno.  I wasn't clear if you were going to use a chassis dyno, or if you were going to hook up to an engine dyno.  Clearly an engine dyno is out at this point.  Are you just going to go for it, or were you thinking a chassis dyno?

By the way, I went to the DLRA website.  Here's the text on volunteers for latrine duty, and the link -

http://www.dlra.org.au/task-toilets.html

Toilets
1. Description

2. Responsability

3. Tasks
3.1 Set Up
At the begining of Speedweek collect all eqipment from the storage containers at the DLRA camp.

3.2 During the event

3.3 Pack Up
At the conclusion of Speed Week all equipment is to be collected, packed away and returned to the storage containers at the DLRA camp

4. Equipment

5. Escalation
If there is an issue at any time that you are unable to resolve, the Pre-Stage offical reports directly to the Event Director.

Set 'em up, tear 'em down, and complain to the Pre-stage official if your out of toilet paper.  That's easy enough.   :-D

Wait a minute - is this a trap? :-o
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: