Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165213 times)

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #5355 on: March 09, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
Goggles, even those of us who don't have jobs do it slowly!  :-P

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5356 on: March 09, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
And with great difficulty!. :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5357 on: March 09, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »
With all due respect Mike you're just building a space shuttle out of exotic composites whereas we, we are operating at the cutting edge breaking new ground with a billy cart that amongst other things has yellow paint........

Neil, If I could do some things a little more slowly I'd only have to do them once :roll: :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline twodear

• Member of AAAA; Association Against Acronym Abuse
« Reply #5358 on: March 12, 2017, 05:41:51 AM »
To me, anything worth doing is worth doing over; a problem for sure since I apparently didn't have time to do it right in the first place. I think you fellas are fairly successful in doing it right the first time around.
If enough is good and more is better, too much should be just about right.
Motorcycle Enthusiast - Sold most of my bikes but still have a 1963 Honda 150 Benly and just acquired a 1939 Indian Four

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5359 on: March 12, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »

Now, some good news. We'd done a bit of measuring over the last twelve months and we'd done a lot of talking but what we hadn't done any of was actually trying the motor ..."in the hole"..so.

Yesterday we made a start. First of all we had to make some alterations to the jig so the crane could fit under it and then we were away. When the car was at Lancefield and the Reverend was over from Brexitville we'd made some vague plans as to how we would reconfigure the lower frame rails to accommodate the Chev but after a little bit of fooling, and some groaning as we got up and down off the floor we got a piece of electrical conduit and cut it to length.....it seems we can just move the lower tubes out and up, no need for any bends...this gives us more sump room and also clears the problematic area where the exhaust has to go around the starter motor. The best bit though is that these new members can be welded in before the old ones are cut out..that is an enormous relief as we were worried that if we cut out significant frame members in a non secure environment that some of the hoo-doo* might escape.

*Contrary to popular belief things only go fast when during construction some "hoo-doo" is captured from the atmosphere and incorporated into the structure, careless rebuilds or modifications can allow this to escape.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5360 on: March 12, 2017, 07:08:33 PM »
*Contrary to popular belief things only go fast when during construction some "hoo-doo" is captured from the atmosphere and incorporated into the structure, careless rebuilds or modifications can allow this to escape.

You must understand that this Hoodoo can be contained by copious amounts of yellow paint.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5361 on: March 12, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »

In California, releasing such agents into the atmosphere will bring a hefty fine.

So, will you not have to lengthen it, after all?

The less you can get by with and maintain the integrity of the chassis, the better off you're going to be.

Good hearing good news!   :cheers:

hmmm . . . Don't get me started in alliteration . . . I'll skip the obvious band reference . . . trying to work "hoon" into this . . . give me a couple of days.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5362 on: March 12, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »

You must understand that this Hoodoo can be contained by copious amounts of yellow paint.  :cheers: Wayno

Polyurethane isocyanate yellow paint!  :-D

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5363 on: March 12, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »
Nothing so complicated, two parts? No, that my yellow friendly friend is alkyd resin enamel.

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #5364 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:40 AM »
This "hoo doo" in the atmosphere....
Is it induced bythe presence of beer,good music and sexy women ?

Heres hoping that all goes well using original hoo doo and the new hoodoo .
Good building the sunshiners

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5365 on: March 13, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
Hey Goggs, don't worry about sending the Greek Couplers back since you can't use them just sell them off & put the money in the tank.
That picture gives a scale of just how small your tank is!
Keep in mind the dia & length of the headers that came with it when you build your new ones. They're probably not good for anything else so just cut them up & use what you can to reconfigure.
Is your oiling dry or wet sump & do you have everything you need?
Is your cooling system going to be enough for this engine?
The easy way to cut & stretch a chassis like that is to weld some temporary slider tubes to the outside then wack it off & drag it back, if that's what you decide to do. Personally that seems like the best way to go to me, it'll save you heaps of work & time in the re-packaging situation & you could just add a straight body section in the middle. Opinion's are like arse holes though Mate & I have one of each! :-)
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5366 on: March 13, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Onward  According to FFD   "metal is dumb it just lies there until someone is smart enough to pick it up and make it do something."
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5367 on: March 13, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
Hey Goggs, don't worry about sending the Greek Couplers back since you can't use them just sell them off & put the money in the tank.
we'll get 'em back to Idaho if we have to carry them ourselves......
That picture gives a scale of just how small your tank is!
Darling, I never said it was big, just that you'd never forget it.
Keep in mind the dia & length of the headers that came with it when you build your new ones. They're probably not good for anything else so just cut them up & use what you can to reconfigure.
Thing is, they are a real work of art and there's only a few little bits that we could use.....the collectors are absolutely hot-diggety, we might use them.
Is your oiling dry or wet sump & do you have everything you need?
Just had a chat to Robin about why there are two sumps, looks like we'll end up using an ARE low profile Indy sump.We need to make a tank for it, that can go up against the firewall where we have always had a little room.
Is your cooling system going to be enough for this engine?
We had a saddle tank that held 60 litres(14 gal.) and sat on top of the gearbox. It won't fit and we'd like a bit more pressure in the system anyway....if anyone here would like to do the heat exchange calcs on 450hp to raise 50 litres from 35c to 100c that would be much appreciated......
The easy way to cut & stretch a chassis like that is to weld some temporary slider tubes to the outside then wack it off & drag it back, if that's what you decide to do. Personally that seems like the best way to go to me, it'll save you heaps of work & time in the re-packaging situation & you could just add a straight body section in the middle. Opinion's are like arse holes though Mate & I have one of each! :-)
  Sid.

We are doing everything we possibly can to keep it all within the original package, seems crazy but it worked before and even when it wasn't it looked good doing it........

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5368 on: March 13, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
I've already replaced the couplers I sent you so find em a new home & turn em into colored money you can use.
I'm loosing crew at an alarming rate here to other commitments, you might have to come over & help me run the liner.
  Sid. 

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #5369 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »
I've already replaced the couplers I sent you so find em a new home & turn em into colored money you can use.
I'm loosing crew at an alarming rate here to other commitments, you might have to come over & help me run the liner.
  Sid. 

You may live to regret that. Colonel?