Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165333 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4905 on: January 14, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
Ahhhhh the delightful twilight zone of packaging  Enjoy the trip  we look forward to you sharing it with us!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4906 on: January 14, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »
The forum is coming back to life. This is way cool. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #4907 on: January 14, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »
Does anyone have accurate drawings of this motor or better yet a 3d model so I can drop into our 3d model of the car and start planning what we need to do space wise?

rH+

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4908 on: January 14, 2016, 02:51:59 PM »
There used to be dimensions at GM  Body Builder drawings but would not be accurate for the heads and intakes system
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #4909 on: January 15, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »
SOS Consortium:
Pursuant to  your quest for dimensions on the engine offered by Robin, and since Kenny’s shop is nearby,  I went on down thinking to get some pictures and dimensions from an engine stashed under a stairwell.  Upon arrival I found that they had already crated it and its ancilliary parts and it was sitting on a pallet next to the door.  Kenny was quite accommodating and we popped the lid off the box and was able to take a few photos and make some basic envelope measurements.  They are as follows.

25” wide over the rocker covers
25” long from flywheel housing to front water pump pulley
Kenny estimated 18” long if using an electric water pump
31” tall from sump to top of inlet trumpets
Appx. 7.75-8” from sump to crank centerline (a tough one to measure inside the box)

Further discussion with Kenny--
He pulled up a dyno run which showed 420 hp at 6400 rpm, at which point he recalled that they quit the dyno pull because the engine was not really running very well.  The engine is equipped with an Electromotive system which was sort of mysterious and tough for them to deal with and so they just suspended further work on the engine and went on to the V-8 project.
He feels the mechanics and parts used in the engine are quite good and that it should easily be in the 550 hp range if the tuning were straightened out.  He suspects that it is an unsatisfactory fuel map.  So, if you have an Electromotive guru thereabouts you might start cultivating a relationship.  If it were up to Kenny, I think he would pitch the existing setup and go with Motec (which he is more familiar with), or more economically, the newer Holley systems, which he said have even more capability than Motec.  In any case, it appears that your project plan should include a reasonably healthy dose of dyno time and possibly a control system change.

As Robin mentioned, conversation(s) with Kenny or email dialog would likely provide further useful guidance.

For some unknown reason I am having difficulty transferring photos from the camera to the computer.  If and when that gets resolved I will attempt to post them as well.

Offline JoshH

« Reply #4910 on: January 15, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »
Haltech?

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4911 on: January 15, 2016, 11:08:49 PM »
SOS Consortium:
Pursuant to  your quest for dimensions on the engine offered by Robin, and since Kenny’s shop is nearby,  I went on down thinking to get some pictures and dimensions from an engine stashed under a stairwell.  Upon arrival I found that they had already crated it and its ancilliary parts and it was sitting on a pallet next to the door.  Kenny was quite accommodating and we popped the lid off the box and was able to take a few photos and make some basic envelope measurements.  They are as follows.

Appx. 7.75-8” from sump to crank centerline (a tough one to measure inside the box)

Further discussion with Kenny--
He pulled up a dyno run which showed 420 hp at 6400 rpm, at which point he recalled that they quit the dyno pull because the engine was not really running very well.  The engine is equipped with an Electromotive system which was sort of mysterious and tough for them to deal with and so they just suspended further work on the engine and went on to the V-8 project.
He feels the mechanics and parts used in the engine are quite good and that it should easily be in the 550 hp range if the tuning were straightened out.  He suspects that it is an unsatisfactory fuel map.  So, if you have an Electromotive guru thereabouts you might start cultivating a relationship.  If it were up to Kenny, I think he would pitch the existing setup and go with Motec (which he is more familiar with), or more economically, the newer Holley systems, which he said have even more capability than Motec.  In any case, it appears that your project plan should include a reasonably healthy dose of dyno time and possibly a control system change.

As Robin mentioned, conversation(s) with Kenny or email dialog would likely provide further useful guidance.

For some unknown reason I am having difficulty transferring photos from the camera to the computer.  If and when that gets resolved I will attempt to post them as well.

That was a nice gesture, thanks!

So,even running badly it makes a shipload more power than ours....

It will all fit even with that pump on the front.

We have a Haltech here and have also been offered some other stuff of which the name escapes me now by Greg Watters (maj here on landracing.com).

It also just happens that Brett de Stoop has a mate who came to Gairdner the year he had his bad spill called Nathan who is an Electromotive wizz and offered to do all our stuff if we forked for a unit, so one way or another we have probably got a solution.

Thanks Interested Observer, that was a lot of help.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #4912 on: January 16, 2016, 06:42:48 AM »
This is amazing,
I am really happy for you goggles,
You deserve it, for example when you said you carresed the tank......iknew you were "there"..totally.
I dont know you ,you dont know me but this very kind act has even made a total stranger smile,
You see the knock on effect,
Thanks robin, and thanks team sunshine for giving a dream to others,
Really excited for ya,
Dave lowen.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #4913 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »
Thanks IO, that is good info and helps make it feel real!

RG has sent us some dimensions of the block but as she says, "Note that the drawing of the engine with heads attached is showing the 18 degree racing heads and not the splayed valve head that is on my engine."

I am attaching them here for completeness.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4914 on: January 16, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
This is amazing,
I am really happy for you goggles,
You deserve it, for example when you said you carresed the tank......iknew you were "there"..totally.
I dont know you ,you dont know me but this very kind act has even made a total stranger smile,
You see the knock on effect,
Thanks robin, and thanks team sunshine for giving a dream to others,
Really excited for ya,
Dave lowen.

We had enough power to go 215mph, maybe a little more if we'd found whatever was stopping our engine revving any further, we never got the chance to work out though whether it was the same thing stopping me breaking it.

Now we have in excess of 450hp........

However,

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

We have been handled a great opportunity and with it we have some serious work ahead of us.

Thanks everyone
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4915 on: January 16, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

That's why I stick to the small-bore stuff.   :wink:

But you guys are up to it.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #4916 on: January 16, 2016, 05:45:38 PM »
"With great power comes great  responsibility"

Not true,

"With great power comes great chance"

This chance given is a smile,a smile of you can now do it, its gonna be allright,
 use this smile and keep it going to comfort and realise this dream,
Without the smile then its a resposibility and that wont work well cos of the pressure,
Hell, if you hit 230 or 240 even you got a smile,
You gotta smile just putting that moter in the chassis,

The Sunshine is as good as a smile,
Keep it going and its going to be allrighty.
Have fun,

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4917 on: January 16, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »

I just took some measurements.

Why hadn't I rushed out there in the middle of the night or whatever the first opportunity was? There's a simple answer to that, The Dripps/Gibby motor is going in the Spirit of Sunshine whatever the hurdles so measurement wise there was to be no bad news and I'd had around about as much good news as I could handle in one week......

I measured from the top of the lower frame tubes to the top of the firewall, that is slightly above the top of the cowl at the motor but lower that the top of the scoop.

This shot shows the lower frame tubes, floor and engine mounts

Looking at this pic you can see where we chopped out what was probably an un-necessary cross member so we could extend our wet sump.
 BTW those engine mounts are surplus to requirements as the Dripps/Gibby motor has an engine plate, the good news on that is that it may allow us to combine the headers on the D/G motor with the collectors we currently have and avoid having to fabricate an entire set of headers (just in case you think you are seeing things there is a piece of polished stainless in the middle of this shot....)

It measured 31.2 inches, so taking the extra 1&3/4 inch of the frame tube it looks kike the motor will sit below the scoop, that was my main concern. It also appears that the 25inch width will fit inside the cowl.

Thumbs up there......

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4918 on: January 17, 2016, 12:03:48 AM »
Bottoms up here  :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4919 on: January 17, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
Bottoms up here  :cheers:

LOL, but I'll join you, Sparky!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: