Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165267 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4890 on: January 12, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »
We met Robin and Rob (Dripps and Gibby) years ago at Maxton and have had a blast hanging out with them over many years.  With all due respect:  I am not one bit surprised to hear of Robin's offer.  She's just another Bville racer that wants to help out. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks, R & R.  Best wishes, SoS crew.  I still wear my t-shirt regularly -- although I 'spect I'm the only one in Michigan's Upper Peninsula that displays such Aussie garb.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4891 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
Whoop-de-dammm-DO   :lol:   :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4892 on: January 12, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
The landspeed racers are a different kind of people. Outstanding news guys, get to work, I know you will do her proud. :cheers:

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4893 on: January 12, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »
wow this is such and interesting turn of events---thank you Robin 

looks like "we" now are going to get to learn some more

guys get some good directional mikes---I can wait to hear this sweet lit'l screamer at full song on the big end
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4894 on: January 12, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
That you won't have to lengthen or muck around with the chassis - one that has clearly worked well - is huge.  This takes a big variable out of the equation. 

I'm certain the stretch would have been done well, but then not only would you be dialing in a new engine, you'd have also been backpedaling on chassis set up, and possibly aero.

This let's you capitalize on the proven gains.

It puts you miles ahead. 

Robin, You've genuinely fast-tracked a world class contender.   :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4895 on: January 12, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
I liked Robin from the first time I met her.  I like her even more now.

Stan
(Former Bonneville D/StR record-holder -- 29 MPH ago.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:02:37 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4896 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:16 PM »
they still may have to lengthen ---that may well be the SBC based V-6 not the Buford

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4897 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »
Well, we ain't met Robin as of yet but lets be honest, in our book she's starting from a pretty high mark.

Just bought the tyres we needed for the front from Superfast Matt McCoy as the last pair on the front were borrowed from Greg Watters.

The photo below was after the car had run 215.041 in 2013, that look on Gray's face is absolute un-diluted out of control joy, he nearly smiled, meanwhile I was making more noise inside my helmet than the motor made in the car......we hope to be doing this again, next year after going a little faster than that.....

they still may have to lengthen ---that may well be the SBC based V-6 not the Buford

it's gonna be 15lb in the 5lb bag Bill :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

gkabbt

« Reply #4898 on: January 12, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »

Here are some pics I got of Robin's car last June in Wilmington:

REALLY beautiful car!

Gregg

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4899 on: January 12, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
I'm sure I have some from Bonneville, can't find em but. Good lookin rig, ran hard too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:55:42 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #4900 on: January 13, 2016, 04:58:27 AM »
"thats good stuff boys"  8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4901 on: January 13, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
Oh, no. It's genetic.  :roll: Wayno

Hey you, all that idle chit-chat about going to Lake Gairdner? Start saving, and bring Gustav, we have salt and vinegar chips and hammocks.....
I'm working on it. So's Gus. Will you be running next year?  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #4902 on: January 13, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »
Yes, what a community!

This gesture has brought more than just an engine to a car but revitalised the whole project and those involved in it with gusto.

It is so hard to hold onto dreams when the ritual of day to day life so often gets in the way. As Dr G says so much has happened over the duration of this project but something I am proud of our team in particular is never having given up and always looked for a way forward. If there is a lesson for others in our project I think it it could be that "fate rewards those that commit" and commit we have.

So if you have a project there in the back of your mindshed, then get it out of there into the sunlight and ask friends for help. Surround yourself with clever people and ask a lot of questions, and start making it happen. Who knows but one day if you keep at it for long enough an angel might emerge from the ether and give you the one thing you were missing to make it all happen.

Don't laugh. It happened to us.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Robin Dripps.

Reverend Hedgash

Offline bones

« Reply #4903 on: January 14, 2016, 02:58:04 AM »

FAN F---N TASTIC
    This is going to sound AWSOME

Bones

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4904 on: January 14, 2016, 05:19:03 AM »
Yes, what a community!

This gesture has brought more than just an engine to a car but revitalised the whole project and those involved in it with gusto.

It is so hard to hold onto dreams when the ritual of day to day life so often gets in the way. As Dr G says so much has happened over the duration of this project but something I am proud of our team in particular is never having given up and always looked for a way forward. If there is a lesson for others in our project I think it it could be that "fate rewards those that commit" and commit we have.

So if you have a project there in the back of your mindshed, then get it out of there into the sunlight and ask friends for help. Surround yourself with clever people and ask a lot of questions, and start making it happen. Who knows but one day if you keep at it for long enough an angel might emerge from the ether and give you the one thing you were missing to make it all happen.

Don't laugh. It happened to us.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Robin Dripps.

Reverend Hedgash

Well said Dik.

We were about to embark on a long and difficult process that doing slowly only makes harder and less likely due to the interruptions that chance always throws in.

I've been tossing around ratio maps and scheming the various things we will have to do. Despite being a V6 we have our work cut out, as Sparky pointed out fitting this piece of work in as our car was built around one of the most compact motors there is. We will need to go to a fully pressurized cooling system and whether it be a wet/wet system with a radiator in a box or a traditional fan cooled radiator remains to be seen.

There's some housework on the car that needs doing on things that open and shut, we might even farm out some hinge and catch work.

I walked into the shed this afternoon and patted the tank and said,

" you'll be alright, we're going to do this".

It's been a pretty emotional week,

I Still.Can't.Really.Believe it.

Thanks Robin. Thanks everyone.