Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165246 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4620 on: August 25, 2014, 05:55:46 AM »
Thanks, that was a pretty good speed for 1939, especially for that engine displacement! I wonder if that speed was on the autobahn or at AVUS?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Neil,

Autobahn streak close to Dessau (East Germany), which was special built to go over 400 mph with Mercedes T80
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4621 on: August 25, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
Thanks, Pork Pie. I'll have to look at a map to see where Dessau is.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Doctor Goggles Birthday
« Reply #4622 on: August 25, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
Doesn't look a day over 138.

Avoid the cracks in the west coast while you finish up your vacation.

And I will remind you - AGAIN - there ARE states east of Utah.

Biggest regret of a rained out Speedweek was not being able to put you behind the wheel of the Midget - if for no other reason than to have photographic evidence of you driving a Pommy car.

Your friend -

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #4623 on: August 25, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
Thanks, Pork Pie. I knew you would know which cars I was thinking of. How fast did the Mercedes go and with what horsepower?

Neil,

here the missing data....179 ci, app. 483 hp

The car they use was originally for the standing start record...but the second car for the flying kilo had trouble with the engine...they was lucky enough that the tank was just big enough to run also the flying mile....so this version set both, standing and flying records.....the second car was a little bit different in the air intake (nose) and the windshield...left and right close....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4624 on: August 25, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »
Thanks, Pork Pie. You are an encyclopedia of information.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4625 on: August 25, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
He must be like 170 or something by now
Happy birthday Goggles
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4626 on: August 25, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »
Happy Birthday James. :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4627 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
Yes, Happy Birthday, where ever you are!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4628 on: August 26, 2014, 02:15:12 AM »
I just had blueberry tart in Yoncalla, watched over by the little Puke, Jim L and some guy who's name I can't remember, thanks for the directions Pa you cunning old sod.......

Next time I come to Oregon I'm bringing a lifejacket and some flares..........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4629 on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »
James,  to a great birthday---so sad didn't get to see you this season
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4630 on: August 26, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
Happy Birthday whenever and wherever it was James....  :cheers:

I guess I will have to mail you your tshirt since you have decided not to stay for the WoS  :evil:

G, are you coming over this year?

See you next year I hope
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4631 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
280 pages and I can't find if you mentioned the weight of "The Spirit of Sunshine" or not.

If you would have to kill me if you told me, I'm not interested but if it was just a slight maiming I'd like to know.   :-D

Don

hey Don, I felt guilty last night when in the middle of all that hospitality you asked me again how much it weighed. When I get home I'll make a point of making E By Grumm take it down to a weigh station.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4632 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
Birthday?  :? Another one?  :-P Make it Happy, my friend.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4633 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
Yeah, Wayno pretty much every year I have one.

Where's Sid, the least he could do is wish me well for remaining one year older than him, whippersnapper

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Streamliner 412
« Reply #4634 on: August 26, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
Instead of a full streamliner concept that fits over everything, the images above of adding wheel pants (ala Carbinite) or Orpheus-style housing would be interesting. (and fairly easy to integrate without damage and could be done remotely and shipped easier due to smaller sizes)  The addition of these panels would increase surface area itself -- but the frontal aspect would remain about the same and the airflow would be cleaner than the existing exposed wheels.

Given the baseline testing of the belly tank and known data about everything ala speed/gearing/displacement, it would make an interesting scientific project without breaking the budget.  Possibly three iterations or more of testing:  (and feedback in regard to directional stability)

1) Simple Carbinite NACA 6600 profile derived wheel covers over all four wheels (or rear two only). Or other shapes?
2) Orpheus configuration of integrated front/rear cover.
3/4) Variants of 1/2 with additional appendages to cleanup airflow over suspension / axles / etc.

We had considered this in a super cheap way a few years ago with using some Morris minor fenders as "cheater guards" to simply change the class, and we even built some bolt on ones that didn't do anything for aero but did the class change only to cheekily mop up two open class records. We have yet to run them though.

This is something to consider as an exercise indeed even if it is for interest sake for all concerned and I am sure there would be much interest and discussion derived from it. I could pretty easily draw the NACA shape in 3D and cut it a mold using our 5 axis router at uni...

The thing is though your version 3/4 above is sort of what I am proposing anyway but hopefully in a more stylish manner than the accretion method described would produce (IMO).

The main issue in my mind is the use of ground effects or not. If that was the piece cleaning up airflow as you describe in 3/4 then I could make a couple of different types that gave proof of concept. If it doesn't work then there is no point building a whole new car based on this idea and better to go a different route.

There are a number of factors governing whether it will work or not in the manner we want it to work which will include which record we are going for (ie what top speed), the type and power of the engine, the final cD of the car including the ground effect device compared to not having it, all of which is not yet decided but each are important variables. What I want to do is see if there is a best set of variables given established records and run that package.

Superleggera you have me thinking... if we are to build a new chassis then a modular designed body might be the solution where it is designed with the ability to test all aspects of bodywork... it is a matter of defining joint lines and hard points (a contemporary auto manufacture methodology).

I still want to do some proof of concept stuff on the SOS chassis though...

rH+
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:41:46 PM by Reverend Hedgash »