Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165430 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4260 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »
Re Post #4270- Just joshing. I am not a real scruit.

The shenanigans one tries to get a free drink.  Walk around with an empty glass wearing a pith helmet and carrying a clip board, and feign disgust with airfoil attachment points.

I kinda like it, Denis . . . I don't know that I would have tipped my hand until I'd tipped my glass - maybe on the second day.   :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4261 on: February 16, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
Well, you had me there. I pressed "reply" and then changed my mind a dozen times I swear, I slept fitfully until 4.30am, I'd done the sums, still I was suspicious.

It was too cheap.

I thought the buy price on the scrutineers we have dealt with up to this point was more than reasonable, a bargain no less. But a bottle of Johnny Walker?

I can get three of them for the price of a sticker on the fire extinguishers. :wink:

However I do like your description of the winch, I only need to walk past a cable winch and my hands start to bleed, after years of sticking the cut ends of guitar strings into my fingertips you'd think i'd be immune, but no, I can find the one frayed piece of wire in any cable and use it with the precision of a scalpel to open my hand up. :cry: Is the observatory at your house? Do you take a scope to lake is is it too rough on the way in. And, finally, I like arsetronomy, I love looking at heavenly bodies :-D

Don, I dunno if this trailer would fit in a container, or whether it would be practical. I kind of like the idea of visiting a car yard in LA, harassing the Mexican owner and then using his workshop through the night to make a trailer out of scrap metal and some Kelsey Hayes.
Yesterday said trailer was painted, if anyone who sees it at the lake says "it looks like it was painted by a drunk" I will be able to reply..." you have impeccable judgement, it was indeed painted by a drunk", our mate Vaughn dropped over, he'd had a few but no so much that I didn't feel obliged to press him into service with a paint brush.

Graham fitted up the rockers, the motor is ready to start. I spent most of the day on the trailer issues, started on a bearing check, painted the wheels and replaced the safety chain.

We extended the wishbone that we use to tow the car on the lake, now it sits firmly against the radius rod mounts on the axle and is longer so the tyres wont touch the rear bumper of the truck on tight turns.

On the downside the motor on my compressor carked it, that's $200 i wasn't planning on spending right now.

Over and out.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:15:18 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #4262 on: February 16, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »
We have a history of going through trailer wheels too, the colonel and I breaking two and Pete on so maybe pack a couple of hubs and spares...

I have just spent the last three days being totally blown away by the Sagrada Familia and other architectural wonders in Barcelona. All going smoothly until one of my students lost their bag today with all their documents and so he and I are staying in Barcelona until we sort it. Out as he needs a special visa to get back to the uk. Great. Just great.

I guess there are worse places to be stuck.

D

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4263 on: February 16, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
I remember walking out of the subway at the Sagrada, and uttering a loud expletive, it is my favorite building in the world.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #4264 on: February 16, 2014, 05:25:16 PM »
It is my favorite too by a sizable margin. And it still has twenty years of construction to go.

Don't get me started...

But how was the colours of the light from the windows in there...?!?!

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #4265 on: February 16, 2014, 06:23:21 PM »
Have just re-read post #4274 in the clear light of day. What I was trying to convey is that I am just an apprentice scruit.,not a "real" one. I did sign off as the 2nd inspector, when S. of S. went through last year. Doc- the observatory is about 500 metres from the house, on the highest part of the block, with 180' clear view overhead, and about 270' clear horizon. In theory, I could bring the 8" and 16" scopes, but would probably have to realign mirrors, so not worth the aggro. Have got a smallish refractor which I will pack, if there is room. Will also bring the said winch, in case anyone is interested.
Denis

Offline Tman

« Reply #4266 on: February 16, 2014, 06:24:57 PM »
Have just re-read post #4274 in the clear light of day. What I was trying to convey is that I am just an apprentice scruit.,not a "real" one. I did sign off as the 2nd inspector, when S. of S. went through last year. Doc- the observatory is about 500 metres from the house, on the highest part of the block, with 180' clear view overhead, and about 270' clear horizon. In theory, I could bring the 8" and 16" scopes, but would probably have to realign mirrors, so not worth the aggro. Have got a smallish refractor which I will pack, if there is room. Will also bring the said winch, in case anyone is interested.

We have an observatory nearby, we are in one of the darkest places in the US so the views are good.

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #4267 on: February 16, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »
If you feel the need to "bribe" me , these are the preferred, currencies,,

At Lake Gairdner

And at Bonneville

Bob Ellis
DLRA Chief Car Inspector

(Kiwi Bob from Aussie-when working at B'ville Tech)

Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4268 on: February 16, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »

In life we are all apprentices.

Like the Sagrada, it's never finished.

I too need to explain my previous post. I have never given offered or even spoken about inducements with the scrutineers.

Just for the record Fat Yak, Jameson, Martini, and yes.

PS. That's what I figured Bob, and I bet you'd deny ever receiving them " ...bbbbut I gave you a "...." a what ? I don't remember ever receiving that?"

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4269 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
A wench is always handy on long trips.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4270 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
I'll be taking my metric wench set with me :wink:

Offline salt27

« Reply #4271 on: February 17, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
A wench is always handy on long trips.

Especially one that will cook, clean and pack wheel bearings.   :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4272 on: February 17, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
Packing wheel bearings.

When I am rich my life will change entirely.

Anytime I feel the need to go near wheel bearings I will buy a new set of clothes, a new set of wheel bearings, a brand new tub of grease, some gloves, and get someone else to do it.

It is the worst job to do with cracked skin. Why have I got cracked skin?, awe I dunno but thinners,guitar playing, hand cleaner and metal grit probably don't help. It wouldn't be the right preparation to go out to a dry dusty place with intense heat and lots of salt if I didn't have bleeding cracked skin on my finger tips......

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4273 on: February 17, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »

At Lake Gairdner

Bob Ellis
DLRA Chief Car Inspector

So that XXXX (that's how they spell beer in Queensland)
Where do you buy that?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Tman

« Reply #4274 on: February 17, 2014, 10:35:59 PM »

At Lake Gairdner

And at Bonneville

Bob Ellis
DLRA Chief Car Inspector

Bob, I am embarrassed my fellow countrymen have bribed you with such sub-par beverages.