Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165326 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4245 on: February 14, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
The product  is LPS 3, a solvent based wax. Very pricey in my opinion. I used it on my winch cable, PITA to get cable coated, wasted a bunch. Spraying cable is like herding cats and I have cats so I know what it's like :-D.
If I had to do it over I think I would use until the cable got bad then replace it with stainless steel cable.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4246 on: February 14, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
It was Speights :roll:.....Sid,we do all sorts of things wrong,but we don't drink XXXX
Yeah I knew you wouldn't be seen dead with a can of that in your hand, that was the point! :evil:
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4247 on: February 14, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
Jail or exile,George Speight I mean I think he was tried In Unzud.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4248 on: February 15, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »
Well - we're getting close.  James, I'm sure it's assoverteakettle at this point, but your fans stateside would certainly like to know where you're at at this point of the game.

Post if you can.

Chris  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4249 on: February 15, 2014, 04:07:12 AM »
Well.

First of all, I get called all sorts of things, but when someone calls me James, my first instinct is I'm in trouble..... However, right now , I'm feeling pretty confidant that I'm doing everything right, at least by my standards.

When I woke up this morning I felt motivated to get stuck into it. For the last few months I have felt a type of motivation, lets call it fear, but my short attention span has had me doing ten things at once and none of them well. It was two weeks yesterday that we leave, I have a full week off work before we do so that should help me nail everything. Speaking of work, that's the main reason I'm here less frequently than I used to be. I spend a lot of time on the road in the job I've now had for eighteen months and I just don't get the same amount of time sitting at a keyboard as I used to , anyway, back to the job at hand.

The new trailer needs some work to get it up to speed. We needed a license plate holder with lights, preferably one that hinged to avoid being knocked off by rocks or getting bent when we tilted the trailer.The pull out ramps needed to be set up so they met the deck at the same height as the car wont go on if there is a two inch difference.Done.

We needed a jockey wheel and I also worked out that as we always have the three foot high axle stands with us that we could use them as the stands at the front of the trailer when it was tilted, so the pipe clamp you see on the draw bar is set at the right angle to take the stand when the trailer is tiled for loading. I had to change the winch mount as it was too high and mount the roller guide for the cable. Done.

The underside of the deck was a bit rusty, I figured schutz was the best idea there as it wont chip off and needs minimal prep, I used white for thermodynamic reasons, where we go the ground temp is about 140F. The top of the trailer will be in white enamel for the same reason, the added bonus is it will match the tow vehicle....Done.

I need a box to cover the winch, i welded one up out of .040 plate. Done

Tomorrow I start on a repaint . Now I have bragged in the past about my painting skills, well not specifically about my skill in painting but more my ability to do things quickly. It avoids the basic criticism that my brother ( who taught me all sorts of things including how to back a trailer) would make ..." well, you might be slow, but you're bloody rough"

I'm not a show quality painter but I have a sense of perspective that means the job gets done. Bondo is not a dirty word here, and I have a bucket of clear so I'll be able to go buff crazy. The good news is that a friend who works for Canon has found me someone there who'll duplicate our decals, so the car should look pretty fresh...mmmmm gooo.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4250 on: February 15, 2014, 05:07:58 AM »
Would you prefer Jimmy?. :-D

It looks good and there is a lot of graft in what you did.

After all there is no racing if your trailer lets you down.

Great stuff and I wish you the best. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4251 on: February 15, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
The product  is LPS 3, a solvent based wax. Very pricey in my opinion. I used it on my winch cable, PITA to get cable coated, wasted a bunch. Spraying cable is like herding cats and I have cats so I know what it's like :-D.
If I had to do it over I think I would use until the cable got bad then replace it with stainless steel cable.

Ron

Thanks Ron,after hearing that I might just spray it with silicone.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4252 on: February 15, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »
Would you prefer Jimmy?. :-D

It looks good and there is a lot of graft in what you did.

After all there is no racing if your trailer lets you down.

Great stuff and I wish you the best. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Michael, that was all yesterday, I went like a man posessed. Now, how about the cricket?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4253 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »
I don't watch cricket but I'm glad.

Geraldine Smith is an idiot and it's good they lost.

I think the SA players are too scared to give it a go in case they get dropped.

Good on you boys. Brett Lee and Shane Warne are what the game is about IMO. :-)

Offline salt27

« Reply #4254 on: February 15, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »
Gogs,
  Will this trailer accompany the SoS to the states?

Don

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #4255 on: February 16, 2014, 04:51:07 AM »
Hi Dr. This is a bit late to be of use to you, but may help someone else having a boo peep. I have used an Aussie made 3 speed manual boat winch, with a fabric belt on the vette trailer for tarmac rallies/road racing for a few years. I have quick attach/release bolts to mount the winch, which lives in the tow vehicle. An added bonus is that the same winch operates the roll-off roof on my home built observatory. I will be in scruitneering for most of Speed Week, so hopefully will catch up with you then. (I drink Jonnie Walker- hint, hint!)
                                                                     Denis
Denis

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #4256 on: February 16, 2014, 05:04:30 AM »
Ahhhh , Hard to pronounce , ah ,easy to drink!
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4257 on: February 16, 2014, 05:15:30 AM »
A home built observatory?. That's cool. Always wanted a telescope and still on the bucket list.

Easier than Jushtrenruini & Brooksh hey Bob?. :-D

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #4258 on: February 16, 2014, 05:35:36 AM »
Yeah Mikey- I never get tired of looking at Saturn's rings, or Jupiter's moons. (No Uranus jokes please!) And I must "fess up" (bless me Father for I have sinned etc) to an ongoing obession with Mars. I know that there are fantasic photos from the Rovers available, but I get a real hoot out of seeing details, with my own eyes thro' my own telescope.
                                                                                                                                                    Denis
Denis

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #4259 on: February 16, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »
Re Post #4270- Just joshing. I am not a real scruit. Had a few days there last year and enjoyed it. I see it as a beaut chance to see how to build/not build a salt car. I am interested in doing whatever it takes to become a scruit., however in the meantime, any premiums to be paid ( I think there is a rule about racecars with too much yellow paint) should be addressed to chief car scruit., Bob Ellis. I think his currency is Jack Daniels.
Denis