Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165556 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #4185 on: January 18, 2014, 03:46:45 PM »
Thanks all for the input, it is always much appreciated.

I have done some spreadsheet runs on your site Sum, and had neglected to thank you, they threw up some interesting stuff.

We haven't been on the dyno this year, time and coin poor we are just running with what we have. Sadly we dont have the time or resources to get the Haltech ECU sorted which would allow us to rev the combo a little harder.

The spreadsheet , with conservative estimates on frontal area suggested we needed 312hp to reach 215mph. The Colonel is confident that with a few changes that have been made since and the full exhaust that we are possibly 40 or 50 hp above that.

No we don't have mile by mile times but we were almost top speeding by the end of the three, and this was leaving the push car in third gear at 35mph and shifting at 150. If we used first and second gear we will accelerate faster even if we step down two gears.

The bottom line is the car has until this point had full traction, we haven't hit the "aero wall" yet. Fairings on the axles and a clean up of bodywork will offer up free horsepower.

So many unknowns, we figured we'll just put the 2.14 in, it will probably go slower, then we have our answer, we can fit the 2.28 at the lake .....if that goes slower then the only option for us is to rev the ring out of the 232, we've had advice that there are diminishing gains there.

So far we've been lucky.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4186 on: January 18, 2014, 07:16:36 PM »
.....The spreadsheet , with conservative estimates on frontal area suggested we needed 312hp to reach 215mph. The Colonel is confident that with a few changes that have been made since and the full exhaust that we are possibly 40 or 50 hp above that......

Using the 312 HP for 215 mph you can see what the HP increase theoretically needs to be from the new spreadsheet:

HP Needed.....MPH

With 313 HP at 215 mph you would need 359 HP to run 225, about what you think you have for a HP increase and your anticipated increase probably is before drive-train losses.  The 225 is also about 6200 with the 2.28 gears.  Above 225 mph the HP needed really starts to increase.  Just something to think about.

Are you going to setup both gear sets in the rear at home before going and keep separate shim packs for both with you to cut down on the time to change gear sets on the salt?  Going to use a solid shim pack to avoid dealing with the crush sleeve?  That would help vs. trying to setup the rear on the salt from scratch and having to get the pinion depth, back-lash and bearing pre-load all right out there.

I'm trying to work through the same deal myself.  I got 2.14 gears for the lakester's 7 1/2 rearend, but feel I need to go with 2.28's at first with the 'weak motor'.  I just bought some used 2.28 gears last night on ebay.  I'd found a NOS set of 2.14's a couple months ago and bought them along with getting a Torsen center section from Sparky.  I also found some 1350 pinion yokes for the 7 1/5 and got one.

Good luck, wish I was there,

Sum

Offline salt27

« Reply #4187 on: January 18, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »
280 pages and I can't find if you mentioned the weight of "The Spirit of Sunshine" or not.

If you would have to kill me if you told me, I'm not interested but if it was just a slight maiming I'd like to know.   :-D

Don

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4188 on: January 18, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
 Sparky , the 10 bolt dealer......he's got more than a few people hooked. :-D :-D

Sum, the 312hp/215mph is an estimation from your spreadsheet, it could be way out either way as it is based on several guesses. It may be that the 340+hp we hope we have was all at play at that point, it may however be an overestimation , we were using less but the valve train limited us?????

Yeah, we should be on the dyno.

We also need taller rocker covers, the dings in the ones we have indicate that.

Don, I'd dearly love to maim you, sadly I don't know what it weighs, that being the case we'll have to settle for the usual verbal abuse......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4189 on: January 21, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Taller rocker box covers?.

What motor do you run?.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4190 on: January 22, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
Limo... moved your post out of this topic to the for sale section, feel free to post pictures of it.  We usually try not to put a for sale ad in the middle of someone's build.  Yes we stray, but usually not that far  :wink:

Buick V6... or Holden... I have a left one that isn't crunched... for a stage 2 head....
How many head bolts in that motor Doc?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4191 on: January 22, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
I believe these are the beasts . . .

Couldn't find the pic of the port job, but I recall the intake ports as being slightly larger than the passenger compartment of the Midget . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4192 on: January 23, 2014, 05:07:34 AM »
Correct Mogwaiin.

Yes folks we are using the stock steel eight bolt jobs, and yes we are using those rockers which aren't highly regarded and they now have dings in them from the locks...there will be a little artful use of a porting tool on them before we go back.

The covers. The Colonel tanked( see what I did there) a couple of sets of the plastic covered Al ones....they've come back squeaky clean and plastic free. I'll cut the top off two of them and the bottoms off another two and you guessed it , weld them together...Yes, while they are bolted to a head, no not our heads, no not my head, a little over 3/4 of an inch is all we need, I'll stretch them as far as I can while they still fit inside the body....

Thanks for the offer Bob.

Yes we melted, then we set again, in strange positions, next week we melt again.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4193 on: January 24, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
It is weird here too.  This is the land of eternal rain, mist, and fog during this time of the year.  They are declaring a mid-winter fire danger period and two small fires are burning now.  We have had only a small fraction of our annual deluge and it is cold, windy and dry.   

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #4194 on: January 24, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »
There are always fires here Bo, but when it gets really hot, the place is alight in a frightening fashion.

Had another look at the available room for the rocker covers, seems a smarter idea will be to just add to the centre section where the posi-locks are, we are going to taller, thinner ones, they will allow greater lift but require taller covers.So, to that end I cut the centre section out of the top and am lifting them about 22mm....here they are prior to bird-shitting, I mean welding......

they fit like this.... we'll have a filler on both sides, at the front, then I'll have to chamfer them at the back where the cowl tucks in.....

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4195 on: January 24, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »
Hey Stainless.
I wouldn't mind that rocker cover.
Just leave it attached to the engine an send over
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4196 on: January 25, 2014, 02:00:36 AM »
 :-D  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4197 on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:25 AM »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #4198 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:59 AM »
Tank weight guess.
From hauling the SOS and from hauling other cars with the same trailer and Troopy, I’d bet the SOS is smidge heavier than a Ford Falcon.  Mind you, we had extra crap in the trailer that wasn’t lightweight, and beer, and the water tank is always filled. That would be 1360 kilos, 3000 pounds. Purely subjective guessing from hauling.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Freud

« Reply #4199 on: January 28, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
Goggles, I wish you could have made the Grand National Roadster Show.

It would have really impressed you in the Bonneville arena.

FREUD
Since '63