Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165521 times)

Offline Kiwi Paul

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3900 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
Biscuit???!!!! Actually, I`d even settle for a Violet Crumble....oh I know, Sid, it`s sacriledge to one up a Crunchie.....Gingernut and a Cuppa Choysa it will have to be... :-D :evil:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3901 on: September 05, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
Doc, it's already a contender. 

+- 1mph/79 rpm between runs is an insignificant comparative stat at 215.  And if you can outaccelerate the push truck, it becomes more of a nod to formality than a necessity.

I need to catch up with Bob Bleed before he takes off to OZ for Chopped - make sure he sees the tank.  Anything I might be able to throw into his guitar case for you?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3902 on: September 05, 2013, 11:35:02 AM »
DR. G  I get it that is the chicken or the egg thing but we have to get that eng turning 7-7.2 sometime ---.I know you know the trade offs!!!!

UPDATE:

I just went to one of my dream charts and plugged in:
2.28 and 28" ---230 at 6300
2.41 and 28" ---235 at 6800

NOW I get it--- see if it can get there with the hp you know you have NOW  or you will know how short you are
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:53:03 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3903 on: September 05, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »

". . . because if you build a high-revving hi-comp motor and break it, you'll never be able to afford to build another one". Jack Dolan

Bill, let's have an argument.  :cheers:

This is not a hi-revving, hi-comp engine.  The bottom end is remarkably stock, and while it has proven itself reliable, I don't think it will take 7k.

If we were splitting logs, I'd take the sharp wedge and the lighter hammer.  You'll split more logs, and you won't wear yourself out.

SOS is a sharp wedge - I think it can be done with the gears.

Now SOMEDAY, I'm going to convince them to buy that Menard Indy engine and stuff it into this.  At that point, all bets are off.

:-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3904 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »
MM I am sorta with you and Doc-- if we keep gearing up until we can't pull it the we will know where we are HP wise the the option is the other way
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3905 on: September 05, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »

Now SOMEDAY, I'm going to convince them to buy that Menard Indy engine and stuff it into this.  At that point, all bets are off.

Or maybe finance it
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3906 on: September 05, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
Grumm   :evil: shoot for the big marble---sponsorship or at the very least---eng. partner  :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3907 on: September 05, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »
The issues you are dealing with are what I am wrestling, too.  There is a tipping point where naturally aspirated power becomes very expensive for limited increases and enhancment becomes the most cost effective alternative. 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3908 on: September 05, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
UPDATE:

I just went to one of my dream charts and plugged in:
2.28 and 28" ---230 at 6300
2.41 and 28" ---235 at 6800

NOW I get it--- see if it can get there with the hp you know you have NOW  or you will know how short you are

Yup, that is the point I was trying to make. It still seems we have no wheel slip. It seems that the car ran the two speeds at the same point on the track. Had we been able to accelerate using 1st and 2nd gears I feel we would have shifted into top maybe a full half mile before I did. In 2010 we were still accelerating in the last mile before the motor would nose over. We had none of those issues, we were running over twenty miles faster two miles sooner!, I strongly believe the Haltech will let us put another 250-300rpm on what seems to be the current ecu imposed recline of 6350 by way of the fact the the power curve drops dramatically, the design of our motor would tend to indicate that would be the point that the curve was heading north ,not south. Another important point is rather than slogging down the track at 3-5000rpm in 3rd we will be able to use the 5000-6500 range in 1st and 2nd before hitting 4th in the high 4000s... Am I making sense?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3909 on: September 06, 2013, 01:00:29 AM »
[quote author=Milwaukee Midget link=topic=862.msg232184#msg232184 date=1378396835

[/quote]

Check with Stainless, he has a Menard Indy motor.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Jon

« Reply #3910 on: September 06, 2013, 02:32:41 AM »
Am I making sense?

Ummmmmmmmm................... Yes

Seal the scoop.
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3911 on: September 06, 2013, 07:32:15 AM »
[quote author=Milwaukee Midget link=topic=862.msg232184#msg232184 date=1378396835

Check with Stainless, he has a Menard Indy motor.
[/quote]

Bit soon Johnboy,bit soon.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3912 on: September 06, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »
I see this one is still available -

http://www.race-cars.com/engsales/other/1348602323/1348602323ss.htm

It's only got 4 hours on it.

Given the history, you could easily squeeze another 20 minutes out of it . . .  :-D

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3913 on: September 06, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3914 on: September 06, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »
From a previous post -

I could try to hunt down a Menard Indy engine for you - probably bolt right up.

errr... really? I just looked it up and as a rev limited 10 000rpm  buick 6 it could indeed just bolt up and blast us into history.
I can't imagine there is much use for them these days... how much do you reckon?

rH+

http://www.race-cars.com/engsales/other/1348602323/1348602323ss.htm

I think that price is quite high given the limited possibilities for it.  I'd offer them 6.  Probably be the only bona fide offer they would have received for it.

Ship the car over with the old donk, swap it out in the parking lot of the Nugget, and away you go.

That would do it
Now I just need to find some spare cash
I'm currently getting quotes to have my asbestos sheds removed
What some of these guys want to remove this stuff would be a significant down payment on that engine
G

It's only a 5 hour drive. 

Want me to grab a camera and tape measure?

I'd be willing to clean out a corner of the garage until you picked it up/made arrangements.

That offer still stands. 

They ARE temperamental, but dial back the boost a bit, and I suspect it would be quite tractable and long lived.

Realistically, including dyno time and machine work, it's cheaper than my Formula 2 spec BMC.

The big downside is that it's set up for fuel - I don't think you have a big enough fuel cell to get to the 7.  But on gasoline with the boost turned down, I think 500 hp would be easy and reliable.

We can swap it in at Wayno's.   :cheers: