Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165550 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3720 on: May 23, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »
 I did, as I said , head up the "slow" road to see my mum. I took the back back rd and instead of all pave and eighty of a hundred miles on freeway I hit dirt less than twenty miles out of town and about a third of the trip was gravel....I did that because I've been driving about 700 miles a week for work and that is almost all at freeway speed on cruise control in the 1.8 Ecotec. I wasn't going to take the 302/F100 up the freeway lest I went insane, or got a ticket....You guys need to hear this, the first fifty miles of the Hume Highway out of Melbourne is covered by E.T cameras which of course can ping you for momentary speed as well, so if you average above the speed limit over that stretch you get a ticket, oh yeah and they're infra-red. So I thought bugger the stress I'll take a sentimental trip up through the bush. As I came off the dirt onto the old Hume Highway just before Kilmore I pulled up at a stop sign, when I took off I'd failed to notice how rough the verge in front of me was, it was deeply rutted. Now a SWB F100 that it is set up to tow 2&1/2 ton has pretty unforgiving suspension, being wheelbase challenged means it doesn't necessarily, instinctively, go straight.... So I boot it, it bounces and steps savagely to the right, then the left, and then the right again in the violent way that makes it a little difficult to get your foot down on the clutch....I JUST missed the armour-rail, and all this at under 10mph, there was a car coming towards me, god knows what he thought I was doing......

I finally got started in the shed today, went and picked up a bearing for the new ratio we are going to fit , the 2.28:1. I did a bit of  a tidy in the shed, I can feel the inspiration coming back.......

I went to the club meeting on the weekend, there I felt the inspiration ebbing away, but things will change and the meet will get better, but it isn't going to be easy....more tomorrow.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3721 on: May 23, 2013, 03:53:27 AM »
the club meeting.
couldn't make it. although the food is good
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3722 on: May 23, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
I finally got started in the shed today, went and picked up a bearing for the new ratio we are going to fit , the 2.28:1. I did a bit of  a tidy in the shed, I can feel the inspiration coming back.......

I went to the club meeting on the weekend, there I felt the inspiration ebbing away, but things will change and the meet will get better, but it isn't going to be easy....more tomorrow.

This build diary started 7 ½ years ago.

Many people –

Don’t hold the same job that long
Don’t live in the same house that long
Don’t own the same car that long
Can’t get through college that quickly

As to volunteer organizations with a “main event” structure, they’re always in “ramp-up” mode.

Mental downtime is a must.

Normal.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3723 on: May 23, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »
Hory clap!! 7 and a half years....  :-o.....I've been living in Sunshine for 8 and a bit...wow. This week off has been good. It was time in lieu, not accrued annual leave so i didn't have that urgent feeling to make the most of it. I've spent the week sorting unsorted stuff. I need to refinance my house, that's underway. I needed to do some tidying up at the Possum Park and Idiot Wonderland and also haul my Holden Ute back into the workshop area so I can get started on the refit and respray.....I managed to scrape the passengers door on the apricot tree, big deal, I'll be doing bodywork anyway.....So it's been a good week, a sort of rev-tune blowing out the cob-webs....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3724 on: May 24, 2013, 04:12:30 AM »
7 and a half...is that all? I believe the actual project started 10 years ago this coming October and is before I started dating my wife, before having my daughter who starts primary school this year and yet seems like only yesterday...

Actually in our family the tank has been referred to as "the wife" and Amber as the mistress which she is strangely ok with...

rH+

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3725 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
On rare occasions an understanding woman comes along who becomes a partner not a boss.
Sorry Goggs!
  Sid.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3726 on: May 25, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
My woman is starting to understand how many bikes I have here
Can't wait til I bring my trailer home
G

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3727 on: May 25, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
My woman is starting to understand how many bikes I have here
Can't wait til I bring my trailer home
G

Grummy, you old romantic - A place she can call her own!  :cheers:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3728 on: May 25, 2013, 08:24:05 PM »
No.
It's full of (as many as I could fit) Honda CB1100s'
G

Offline grumm441

• HK 327

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3730 on: May 27, 2013, 12:30:32 AM »
It was time in lieu, not accrued annual leave so i didn't have that urgent feeling to make the most of it.

Drop one vowel phonetic, and the homonymic possibilities for that sentence become quite humorous.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #3731 on: May 27, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
Say what??? never mind. :?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3732 on: May 27, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »
Hey Chris, take your tweed off for a bit will ya, I was scratching my head there for a bit , but then suddenly realised that it was just what I thought when I wrote the sentence in the first place.

On the weekend I got offered a ute that was stolen and recovered during its stripping...it was a very neat piece of work a 72 Holden with a 5 litre V8 and a turbo 400...I have spent the day today driving around thinking what I could do with it......sadly those motors are 308ci....so it won't fit into D class....otherwise...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's priced to sell and just around the corner from me, the young owner has replaced it and lost interest....

Offline salt27

« Reply #3733 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:31 AM »
72 Holden with a 5 litre V8 and a turbo 400...I have spent the day today driving around thinking what I could do with it......sadly those motors are 308ci....so it won't fit into D class....otherwise...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's priced to sell and just around the corner from me, the young owner has replaced it and lost interest....

I assume that this is a GM engine because of the t-400.

Is it a Chevy, what's the bore and stroke?

Don

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #3734 on: May 28, 2013, 01:15:34 AM »
Hope I've got this right....

Holden 5L (308) Bore and Stroke 4.00 x 3.06 inches (101.6 x 77.7mm) Firing order 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3

:-D