Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165428 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3690 on: April 30, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »
these guys must be looking for the lost Rs
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3691 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Moving on
not much happening here so here's one of my other builds
G

That'll make a nice trailer some day.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3692 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »
Chris, I think you meant to say "That'll make a trailer someday". Actually, the running boards make me think that the front suspenders weren't there originally. There could be hope.  :cheers:  Really Grumm. Whudizit?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3693 on: April 30, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »
I see what you mean, Wayno.  But if he tried to build something that ran under its own power, that wonderful little cooler shelf that's welded mid ship would have to be repurposed as a battery box, which, of course, is just crazytalk.

He'd be stuck drinking warm beer.

But then again, he is well prepared.  I can think of nobody else I know who owns a banana sheath . . . maybe we're underestimating him.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3694 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:05 PM »
I see what you mean, Wayno.  But if he tried to build something that ran under its own power, that wonderful little cooler shelf that's welded mid ship would have to be repurposed as a battery box, which, of course, is just crazytalk.

He'd be stuck drinking warm beer.

But then again, he is well prepared.  I can think of nobody else I know who owns a banana sheath . . . maybe we're underestimating him.

That's a good idea, I will put the battery there
And here I was planning to put a beer cooler there.

It's the '41 Chev pickup that's been rusting away in my yard
and seeing as I no longer have a garage to store stuff in i thought i might make use of the flat bit of concrete that was left after all the asbestos went.
I fitted an independent front end from a Japanese van in place of the solid axle front end.
Tomorrow I will head to the wreckers to try and find a suitable power steering rack.
I have my eye on an independent rear end from a locally produced Ford SUV which should fit.

The big difference in Aus is that when you build something like this, when you go to license it you require a report from an "state authorised" engineer. And there is a book of rules and regulations that it has to comply with.
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Rob

« Reply #3695 on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:06 AM »
Grumm,

Check out a later model L300 for the power rack, I've seen that one done but not sure what year sorry.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3696 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:10 AM »
Wayno,Chris,Jim ...you are poking the bear, don't give him an excuse to paw you. Where's the push bar?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3697 on: May 02, 2013, 07:06:05 AM »
Where's the push bar?

I'm waiting for the drawings
G

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3698 on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »
I don't have a drawing but I think I have a picture of a bar.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3699 on: May 02, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
Where's the push bar?

I don't have a drawing but I think I have a picture of a bar.  :cheers: Wayno

Wayno, I think that's a tow bar, not a push bar.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3700 on: May 02, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
Mmmm

White Goose Bar  :cheers:
It may not fit
G

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3701 on: May 02, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »
Mmmm

White Goose Bar  :cheers:
It may not fit
G
We can try.  :lol:  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3702 on: May 05, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
 So ends the weekend of ugh. Some time back, before the salt this year I had a rolling series of "problems" with the grocery getter.......a series of cooling system problems  that someone with a longer view and half a brain would have arrested before they caused too much grief. But that's not how it works is it? The coolant seems a little low, I'll just top it up.That weepy stain on the side of the radiator, no point putting in a new one yet is there?....I think it was 12 months ago that I changed the thermostat....just after my car was serviced and they replaced the lpg mixer. What I think happened was the gizzards of the former mixer were rusted out and had migrated through the cooling system where they went about jamming things open or shut and generally restricting the flow. Next I had a couple of curious overheats, then a breakdown when the gas mixer froze.....it seemed the coolant hoses to it were blocked. At this point it would have seemed to  be a good idea for a full system flush and a good hard look at the major components. Nope. I'll just wait til it overheats again and splits the radiator, and cracks a head.

So this weekend I went a re-assemblin'. I'd forgotten how much I dislike leaning over a low engine bay. I'd also forgotten how annoying it is doing a one off job like this that you won't be doing again for  long time( FINGERS CROSSED)....... I spent most of my time realising how I should have done certain things and marvelling at the hideous mix of metric and imperial threads and caps........

One tiny win was finding a new set of injectors I bought for the SOS a few years ago, they didn't flow enough on the dyno so we didn't use them. The injectors in the grocery getter were filthy, so that was a job that I could do in order to get myself covered in petrol. Yes I used those dumb-ass single use bolts with Grumm's voice in my ear "don't whatever you do over-torque them".........

The bulk of it is done, now I just need to hook everything up, there aren't that many random same size vacuum lines, and the crap on the front of the motor ...tensioners, alt-mount, other things have about three million different length bolts, earth tags.......aw I dunno, I feel my life force draining away.......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3703 on: May 05, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
messing with any thing but the race car is MAJOR not fun---some times race cars are not fun---we had the same experience with rosette welds and GM gray iron  next time we tried a hole saw---next we plan on using use the torch and rotate the tubes.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #3704 on: May 06, 2013, 02:06:14 AM »
Gee Doc, I thought you were smarter than that, a smart man would have thrown it away, and got another !
Start throwing all your rubbish into the rear, then the passenger seats, when its full, throw it away (it worked well for my ex)
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE