Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3165269 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3675 on: April 03, 2013, 03:18:22 AM »
If the engine is going to be out of the car anyway and you can't change out to forged pistons, I'd get 'em Zygloed, then mag the crank and shot peen the rods.

:cheers:

Good ideas. . .

Re pistons:   If they are of the type that have a slot behind the oil ring to return oil to the sump, sh**can them.    IF, they have drilled oil return holes behind the oil ring, (the stronger version), inspect them with either Zyglo or dye penetrant, prior to reuse.    In fact, inspect every engine part with a critical eye, prior to reuse. . . . .
 :cheers:
F/B

If I have to take those pistons off the rods , they'll be going in the bin and the roaches can look at them.
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline maj

« Reply #3676 on: April 03, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
The base maps are available in the haltech website for both NA and supercharged ;)
i have copys if you can't find them , had a little to do with 2 installs on blown v6 motors

if i remember from my blurry youth , don't the pistons become roach holders  :wink:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3677 on: April 04, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »

if i remember from my blurry youth , don't the pistons become roach holders  :wink:

you have me confused with another member of the team
G

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3678 on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
This is getting so cryptic that even I am having trouble keeping all the cards in my head.....

I just received a really neat little piece of writing by Charles Bukowski from Pete J Quick, SOS team member and all round good guy( yeah, the one who posted a bunch of photo's , drove the push truck, saved my mind , travelled to and from and still doesn't want to kill me).....

It came under the heading "good advice for lakester builders", I don't think he needed to be so specific......this is not an exaggeration. Last week I sent a copy of something I posted a few years ago concerning my idea of succinct advice to someone about to embark on a special construction odyssey to Jon ( he of the Australian streamliner bike build)........ first we have idle thoughts from the ring master at the Idiot Wonderland.........

I've got a couple of suggestions and they are by no means aimed at you personally.I'm going to put them down line by line because I'm not(for once ) up for an essay right now.

It has been said many times here , everything has been thought of , lots of it done, some of it worked.....so find as much LSR history as you can...the good the bad and the ugly, the bold and the beautiful,look at 'em and read what they did.Some very clever people have been at this game, there have also been some mad ones and some very rich fools, learn from their experiences.

If you're going to be true to what you wanted when you started you first have to finish.This can be horribly expensive, if you bite off too much you'll have a half finished thing that has sent you broke.

This game is a battle between power and drag, you need to convince traction to be your friend. Power you can get at the shop,most people have more than enough.Drag is something your design will dictate and your design is prey to thousands of different factors.Keep it simple , have a reason for everything you do, not a hunch.

The rules. There are very specific minimum requirements related to safety, learn them off by heart and begin your design there. They dictate the smallest possible area you can sit in.

Learn the basics of aerodynamics, it's not likely you'll ever get to a wind tunnel  so apply the knowns, the unknowns are bad science .

There are a lot of records up for grabs in the DLRA, but you're not the only person building something........have a really good look at the Budfab motorcycle streamliner, something along those lines is conceivable, aiming for 300 is a serious step for a self confessed newbie.

Go for it brother. If it wasn't for a shipload of naivete we would never have finished our car but that said I feel like the blind bloke who just walked across the freeway, I survived but I dunno what I was thinking when I started.

Next, Mr Bukowski:

“If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.”
― Charles Bukowski, Factotum

The interesting thing for me has been the discussions with Jon about the motivations in building something in the special construction game......I still agree with what I wrote, aero is it, there is nothing else. But, as for the whole pursuit? Mr Bukowski nailed it......when you're down the far end, and you've "delivered the mail" as it were it all seems well worth it, but man o man there are some dark days in-between........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3679 on: April 08, 2013, 03:07:15 AM »
hear ye hear ye---thats prose brother----god I wish I could recall Smokey Yunick's comment about winning!  The feeling of being on the "BIG END" all alone, with a creation you put so much of your heart and soul into, -- after roll out--- knowing you backed it up---is pretty hard to describe.  Well Said my friend   :cheers:

SMOKEY
When asked by a TV reporter "Whats it feel like to win?"  Smokey blurted out, "Maybe equal to or the same as the ultimate feeling of sex" " Yup, that it! he wrote; Your emotions explode, you have only one feeling------happy. "
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:33:20 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jon

« Reply #3680 on: April 08, 2013, 03:23:38 AM »
Very true, one of Dave's (my son, MPSF1000) favourite quotes;

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3681 on: April 08, 2013, 03:48:26 AM »
There is nothing so easy but that it becomes difficult when you do it reluctantly.
- Publius Terentius Afer from "Heauton Timorumenos" (The Self-Tormentor)

Dik

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't... (thinkgeek)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3682 on: April 08, 2013, 06:21:05 AM »
There is nothing so easy but that it becomes difficult when you do it reluctantly.

Dik

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't... (thinkgeek)

And what about BCD?
G

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3683 on: April 08, 2013, 07:13:50 AM »
There are 0010 types of people in the world: Those who understand BCD, and those who don't... ?

Offline Jon

« Reply #3684 on: April 08, 2013, 07:45:28 AM »

Dik

And what about BCD?
G

NFI ;)
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3685 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
But, as for the whole pursuit? Mr Bukowski nailed it......when you're down the far end, and you've "delivered the mail" as it were it all seems well worth it, but man o man there are some dark days in-between........

A headstone has a name, a date of birth, a dash, and a date of death.

It's the dash that counts.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3686 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
here's to the DASH may it be long, thick and HEAVY  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3687 on: April 30, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Moving on
not much happening here so here's one of my other builds
G

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3688 on: April 30, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »
And it is................?  :| Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3689 on: April 30, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »
Rusty?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records