Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171610 times)

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3345 on: January 25, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
It's going to need some giant mirrors, with lights on the front
and three orange or green lights on the sun visor.
but it looks good otherwise
G

Ya forgot the fuzzy dice and dingle balls to hang around the windshield top...  :mrgreen:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #3346 on: January 25, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
Stainless,
That is an interesting dyno. Does it measure torque/hp by accelerating a flywheel or is there some sort of electric motor/generator in the red boxes that applies load? What is the make?

Rex

That is a Dynapack made in New Zealand,  http://www.dynapack.com/
I used one over here in Brisbane to do my Subaru Drag car, I had problems with wheelspin on a Roller because of the Independent rear end.
On the Dynapack it was great it eliminates wheel slip.

Pete :cheers:
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline rgn

« Reply #3347 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »

That's a sweet looking old 100 series Doc.  Are you going to fit a rear window guitar rack?

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3348 on: January 25, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
No geetar rack, I will be fitting a Holden talisman to ward off evil Ford spirits....we don't want this thing to get antsy because it is towing a Holden.

The "swoosh" on the side of it was to match the caravan( trailer-home) that it was used to tow, right there is it's stamp of grandad authenticity.

The push bar will be simple, it has to be pretty low, and we ain't pushing a truck with it.

I love dingle-balls, there's a Spotlight fabric shop up the road, I might have to grab me some...... I'll skip the fluffies, it's enough of a roll of the dice depending on a Ford anyway......it's pretty sparse in here...hmmm that velour seat will be better than vinyl in the heat, but it's not gonna like that dust :roll:

Yes Grumm, I'll go and buy an ignition module.

I seem to remember that Maj got one of these air-borne with two bikes in the back on the way in in 2004, am i right?

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SaltPeter

« Reply #3349 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »
Hey Doc

Nice Truck.  :cheers:

Worth checking out the Dynapack option for future upgrades anyway.
It might be a way of getting "Sunshine" on a Dyno when any future changes are made and help get the Tune in the ball park and making sure it all works ok .
I have no idea what these operators are like, but my experience with the actual Dynapack system as a Dyno was great, (Turbo Subaru) no ramp,Wheel it in,
up on 2 jack stands remove wheels and bolt on the Units,no tie downs, simple.

Dynapack Australia Pty Ltd
28 Harvester Avenue
Sunshine North
VIC, 3020
(03) 9311 0588

REVZONE:
8-10 Molan Street,
Ringwood VIC 3134
AUSTRALIA
http://www.revzone.com.au/contact-us/

On Dynos in general they are simply a tuning tool, once you have a baseline curve, then you can actually tell if the changes you have made worked or not.
I could not have got the engine Mods I made on my Bike to come together without using a Dyno.

Pete

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3350 on: January 25, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »

Yes Grumm, I'll go and buy an ignition module.

I was somewhere this week where they had those ignition modules on special, now where the Fiat was it
I think I may also have one in the toolkit in my Monaro.
Don't ask. It's just there alright.

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline maj

« Reply #3351 on: January 25, 2013, 08:16:52 PM »
Airborne was right, only one bike , but i got to see the tailgate and daylight under that and all the gear  :-o

that last steep washout before the water tanks , very lucky to not leave the front end in there

Brilliant tow vehicle though, i keep looking at them thinking i need another and get rid of the BA ute

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3352 on: January 25, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
Hey Doc

Nice Truck.  :cheers:

Worth checking out the Dynapack option for future upgrades anyway.
It might be a way of getting "Sunshine" on a Dyno when any future changes are made and help get the Tune in the ball park and making sure it all works ok .
I have no idea what these operators are like, but my experience with the actual Dynapack system as a Dyno was great, (Turbo Subaru) no ramp,Wheel it in,
up on 2 jack stands remove wheels and bolt on the Units,no tie downs, simple.
Dynapack Australia Pty Ltd
28 Harvester Avenue
Sunshine North
Pete

Aw, I dunno Pete, they're so far away and all....

1. Head north on Cornwall Rd/State Route 38 towards Cameron St
Go through 1 roundabout

850 m
   2. Turn left onto State Route 8    

1.2 km
   3. Turn right onto McIntyre Rd/State Route 41    

1.4 km
   4. Turn right onto Berkshire Rd    

130 m
   5. Turn left onto Steers St    

210 m
   6. Steers St turns right and becomes Ayton St    

210 m
   7. Turn left onto Arvona Ave    

270 m
   8. Take the 1st right on to Harvester Ave
Destination will be on the right

54 m

28 Harvester Ave
Sunshine North VIC 3020

I might just have a little chat to them about a bit of work .......

Airborne was right, only one bike , but i got to see the tailgate and daylight under that and all the gear  :-o

that last steep washout before the water tanks , very lucky to not leave the front end in there

Brilliant tow vehicle though, i keep looking at them thinking i need another and get rid of the BA ute

got a chuckle out of that :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline SaltPeter

« Reply #3353 on: January 25, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »
lol

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3354 on: January 26, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »
Stainless,
That is an interesting dyno. Does it measure torque/hp by accelerating a flywheel or is there some sort of electric motor/generator in the red boxes that applies load? What is the make?

Rex

That one is actually a Land and Sea Dyno-Mite Axle Hub Eddy Current Dyno.  Uses 2 computer controlled absorbers, gives torque and hp like any dyno.  Absorbs about 1000 HP
http://www.land-and-sea.com/axle-hub_dyno/axle-hub-dyno.htm
Made in New Hampshire.  
It just takes the place of the tires, can do road programs, even race course programs, steady holds and sweeps at any rate.  Did a couple of 3.5K to 12.5K sweeps, 100 rpm per second... takes about the same time as a run at Bonneville.

James, at first I was thinking the place was on the other side of the country, then I noticed it was m not mi, so the guy is across town  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3355 on: January 26, 2013, 04:10:28 AM »
So is Dik coming or are you running in two classes

Just got to go and buy some 7.850 pushrods then it's back together
G

Dik is not coming. Colonel go the cheater guards streamliner option. I still have the full new streamliner body design development on my mind and it will be either BEAUTIFUL or very NASTY, unsure of the attitude to adopt yet but I am designing it in a way so that manufacture should be fast and relatively easy when we get to it...

dik

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3356 on: January 26, 2013, 05:29:07 AM »

Kind of like the difference between an open fire and a reverse cycle climate control system, obviously the latter is way more efficient, and more creature comfortable but on the dirt somewhere between Mt Ive and Iron Knob after a week in the middle of BFN I'm happy to deal with crank/fuel/spark and that ground clearance makes me feel a whole lot better if the road gets chewed up that we won't be using the tranny-pan as a bash plate.

Hey Maj, buy a pre 78 and you can club reg it....nice cheap insurance that way too.

So is Dik coming or are you running in two classes

Just got to go and buy some 7.850 pushrods then it's back together
G
Dik is not coming. Colonel go the cheater guards streamliner option. I still have the full new streamliner body design development on my mind and it will be either BEAUTIFUL or very NASTY, unsure of the attitude to adopt yet but I am designing it in a way so that manufacture should be fast and relatively easy when we get to it...
dik

Funny you should mention that.

For those who are thinking WTF?...We have long held a wish to build a streamliner body for the SOS, yeah, EVERYBODY else builds 'em with a narrow track, not just the smart guys. well we had a bit of a thing for the Shadoff and a couple of the other full width liners that were built in the 50's and early sixties and figured that  a drop on body wouldn't necessarily be that difficult, we have everything else.....it would amount to basically fitting the smallest body that would cover the wheels.....true to form the Rev wanted to build it outa wood.....we'll see about that.......

ps: vote one beautiful :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3357 on: January 27, 2013, 04:36:23 AM »
Grumm and I spent the day on the car, we dropped the motor in and got busy hooking everything up. We had another go at the pinion yoke as the way I had done it added about half an inch to it, and that was too much once we got the motor in, the tail-shaft was binding, we used a spacer at the FRONT of the yoke and that allowed the pre-load to be right and gave us the free space we needed.That wasn't the last of the hassles back there though. When we set the pumpkin up it would have been good if we'd tilted it down ever so slightly....we didn't and that has given us real estate problems with the fuel tank and what I'll call the splatter shield. We had a big piece of channel that used to sit between the fuel tank and the tail-shaft, due to the different casting on the 10 bolt housing it took a lot of fettling and farnarkling to get it to all fit up. There is no rule specifying it but we feel a whole lot more comfortable with that piece there......we don't want a uni joint to let go at 7000rpm and send a piece into the bottom of the fuel tank......

Grumm had the pleasure of fighting with the crap gear shift arrangement, it went together in the end. We moved the battery to under the seat from where it used to be on the firewall, this makes it easier to shimmy the motor forward, that is what we'll need to do to effect a ratio change. Grumm looks to be about half way through the wiring, I nearly have the fuel system ready, then it's the cooling system........

we set up the go-pro for some time lapse....it mostly captured brain lapses....here our intrepid adventurers are about to engage in a light-sabre battle, I'm backing the guy with the blue square section, the other guy is all talk.......

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:39:49 AM by Dr Goggles »

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3358 on: January 27, 2013, 05:43:17 AM »
Stupid gear shift
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jon

« Reply #3359 on: January 27, 2013, 05:54:36 AM »
You'll get used to it ;).
My suit will fit you, it's packed in my esky, it has new underwear :).

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3