Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3186790 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3285 on: January 16, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
You didn't include a proper phase inverter.  See attached schematic diaphram:

I was looking at that,  but was worried I may not be able to use it because of the caution note relating to use within 200 feet of Aardvaarks as I have a Churanga in a case here, somewhere. It was then I remembered that a Churanga is made from an Armadillo and not an Aardvaark.
Also, it's not a Banana Sheath, it an SFI certified Banana scatter shield.
I couldn't find an energy Polariser so I used a mop bucket
And Yes, this is not the final layout and my ducks will be in a row when it's finished

In another note, did you know that Aardvarks used to be called Zardvarks, and it wasn't until Noah started calling up animals two by two, that the Zardvarks, not liking to hang around with the Zebra's, and in an effort to get a better room, pushed to the front of line, which was incidentally being called up in alphabetical order, and told Noah that the big man had changed their name to the Aardvark.

However, I digress, Wayno,  I ordered yellonium lash caps from Summit and the y said they were a backorder item, so I will be going with the Cheesium ones that I already have
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3286 on: January 16, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
It's pretty easy to get yellow caps from Jeg's.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3287 on: January 16, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
  Check the U.S. laws before you come here with that banana sheath. Could be illegal here by then if it's an assault banana.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3288 on: January 16, 2013, 11:44:29 PM »
Wasn't that the 23 "e piss el" :cry: issued today  by BHO
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3289 on: January 17, 2013, 12:12:57 AM »
Now your all being silly
I'm in Australia
Australian federal law sates that it's only legally allowed to hold a single Banana
G

Offline Jon

« Reply #3290 on: January 17, 2013, 01:16:17 AM »
The single banana rule is different in Queensland, we can have a bunch of them pre-bent, it's after we bend them before shipping down south that you can only have one.

I digress though because they aren't yellow then...

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3291 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:42 AM »
It is obvious that the differential girdle spring is out of phase with the modal interaction of the magneto reluctance coil which is probably due to a failure of the lotus O deltoid wiring  scheme. A quick re-phasing of the dingle arm should completely clear up your problems.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3292 on: January 17, 2013, 02:18:42 AM »
OK rock-apes back on topic, back to laughing about things that I f*** up.

When I put the Borg-Warner pinion yoke on I failed to check the rotation. When I did so later I found that it was locked, hmmm. Seems I overtightened it and crushed the crush thingo in it. I rang the diff man today and he said "I'll just make you up some shims, you can just dismantle it and put them in instead of the crush-spacer", fair enough I thought , that makes sense.

When I got home I undid it, when I went to drive the yoke off it had other ideas despite me putting anti-seize in it.Yes I know I should use a slide hammer, but I just took a BFH and a heavier rod and it came off, with the front seal.It seems in my haste to check my memory and see if the BW yoke would fit I didn't check the size of the dust cover and whaddayaknow? It was an interference fit around the seal. :roll: , the pinion wouldn't turn because the lip of the dust cover was jammed between the seal and the housing....Diff-man had already told me it was unlikely that I'd hurt anything which was a relief, but this was better news.

I figure in our application where the diff is completely enclosed in the bodywork the dust cover isn't a critical item so it won't matter if I just take the little lip off it. So, just as I was about to draw strength that I wasn't such a klutz I managed to seize defeat from the jaws of victory....however nothings wrecked so maybe I can call it a draw.

Rex, you'd be the kind of guy who'd peel his bananas up-side down.

Grumm, just in case you run short...

http://www.surplustraders.net/specs/me481.php
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3293 on: January 17, 2013, 02:29:45 AM »

Grummy, that resistor will be a 440 K.

Looking over the schematic, I'm a bit confused.  I'm not seeing provisions for a power supply, so should I assume you're using passive banana technology?  Very old school.  Just be careful of potassium electrolytic discharge.  If you switch out to an active banana, I’d try to find some sort of latex sheath, and wrap it tight before I used it.  A lot less clean-up should it blow.

Mate, you can clearly see at the top in the middle of the schematic a part labelled "big power thing" which is connected between the energy polariser and the "boxish thing" with yellow wires. If you haven't got anything sensible to contribute then please refrain from cluttering our thread, we've got a race car to prepare. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3294 on: January 17, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »
That solid core wire in the catalog.  I had a roll of that stuff.  We call it doorbell wire here.  There were problems with the wire breaking from handling and vibration.  Now I use the stranded counterpart.  No problems after I made the change.

Offline Jon

« Reply #3295 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »
Sounds like Broken Hill String.
Lived on a station out there and did School of the air when little.
I guess they used it in the mines, everything was tied up with it, was yellow too.
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3296 on: January 18, 2013, 02:07:22 AM »
I went  down to Pomborneit to pick up our trailer from the Reverend's farm where his mother in law lives. No she didn't shoot at me Grumm. I hitched the trailer up, yes Dik I put all those rocks on the drystone wall. As I'd been kicking the leaf rubbish out of the tray I noticed that part of the decking seemed loose.... I pulled it out a metre or so and got out of the car to give it another look over. It's totaled. The lower part of the outside rail on the drivers side had fallen off and was surrounded by a pile of rust. I crouched down and looked underneath , the problem with the deck was easy to see. About half the floor members are gone, the trailer wouldn't have made it home, a car would crush it.....this particular trailer has never been to the salt, go figure.

So I drove home, yeah two hours.

Yesterday I was in Morwell and saw an F100 short wheelbase pickup for sale, I pulled over and had a look, it was really straight, clean and rust free, 302, 4 speed, 150l LPG 125l fuel. I spoke to the guy, he'd bought it new in 76 and used it as his work truck. Ten years ago he did a full body off the frame resto, new motor,gearbox, radiator, suspension everything, has all the photos, all the receipts.......I am torn, old guys truck, side of the road, he's already replaced it.....it's a good buy and talking to a friend who has one he reckons if it's rust free it's worth every cent or more.....

We have the trailer belonging to Pete that we have used before on offer but we need something a little bigger than Grumm's van to tow that with, hence the F100 is lookin pretty good.

So much to do, so little time.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #3297 on: January 18, 2013, 02:43:35 AM »
Sounds like Broken Hill String.
Lived on a station out there and did School of the air when little.
I guess they used it in the mines, everything was tied up with it, was yellow too.
Well done Jon, now the cats outa the bag, everyone will want a roll  :roll:
PLEASE don't tell anyone it also makes GREAT fuse wire, melts # 30 amps

It used to come in cribtin (metal lunch containers that are rat proof) sized rolls, now it comes in 1000 mtr rolls, the cribtin sizes have increased to cater for the change .

I had a roll magically appear in my front yard last year (No2, as No1 only lasted 14 yrs)

Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3298 on: January 18, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
In the back of my mind, I was wondering about transport.  I remember you sold the flatbed a while back.

If the Aussie F-100 is the same as the American, you'll find that to be a pretty strong, servicable truck.  That it's a shorty simply makes me - once again - jealous of your tow vehicle.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3299 on: January 18, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »
In the back of my mind, I was wondering about transport.  I remember you sold the flatbed a while back.

If the Aussie F-100 is the same as the American, you'll find that to be a pretty strong, servicable truck.  That it's a shorty simply makes me - once again - jealous of your tow vehicle.

Yep
Except they cost more, and the steering wheel is on the right side
G