Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3171829 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3195 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
Chris, you are certainly welcome to whatever thermal units I spill.  :cheers: Kinda like warmy seconds.  :-P Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3196 on: January 04, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »
..."a unit approximately equal to the amount of energy required to heat a pound of water one degree farenheit", phew, glad we cleared that one up........ it is always comforting for those who use the metric system to see that there is some basis to the arbitrary system of weights and measure that others use..... even after you have been soundly defeated in every facet of a metric v imperial argument you can still walk away confident in the knowledge that if they could just change time to metric then you could work pretty much everything you need to know out in your head with the assistance of ten fingers.....

It's 20 degrees C here right now, got to 41 yesterday, schtinkin, So Wayno I'm sitting here in the back yard digesting my breakfast and typing away.....the shed beckons...

Today, the fire system.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3197 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:27 PM »
And other things I can figure out with ten fingers and two ears and others with ten fingers five toes and me willy.   :-o :roll: I'm witcha on the metric system.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline rgn

« Reply #3198 on: January 04, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
Doc, glad to hear your sister came out of the incident relatively unscathed.  It's a treacherous and unforgiving road for sure.  The number of roadside reefs and memorials lay testament to that.

Certainly hasn't been shed weather the last few days with the heat, today will be no different, get in there anyway... That's the Spirit.   :cheers:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3199 on: January 05, 2013, 05:58:11 AM »
well. at least he has a shed
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jon

« Reply #3200 on: January 05, 2013, 06:08:34 AM »
Tough life but someone's got to do it.

What model Duc?

350 scrambler
And of course, we just had pizza
G

Nice on the scrambler, resto job or pretty tidy already?

Goggles been telling stories?

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline rgn

« Reply #3201 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:47 AM »
well. at least he has a shed
G

I do believe it was you Mr Grumm who pulled down the perfectly good asbestos clad shed that inhabited your back yard?    :-o

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3202 on: January 05, 2013, 06:22:04 AM »
And other things I can figure out with ten fingers and two ears and others with ten fingers five toes and me willy.   :-o :roll: I'm witcha on the metric system.  :cheers: Wayno

Oh, so I see yer still relying on the old random error generator then, I'm pretty sure getting my willy involved in anything I was trying to work out never ended with a sensible answer.

Oh yeah, spent the day in the shed. Got the fire system all connected,bottles all secured, needed some new line here and there, moved the nozzle in the cab.It will all come out again of course as the bottles need to be recertified.

I changed the way the cable for the chute release mounts in the cab, found a neat little bracket that cam off the Sabre tank we used as the cowl, turned out well.

Mounted the cable clamps for the gearshift.

Put the headrest section of padding in the cab.

Finished the clutch line.

Mounted the chute support.

more tomorrow.... 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:32:58 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3203 on: January 06, 2013, 06:29:14 AM »
Good going Doctor G,

post some photos, the blog is looking text heavy!

Dik

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3204 on: January 06, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
..."a unit approximately equal to the amount of energy required to heat a pound of water one degree farenheit", phew, glad we cleared that one up........ it is always comforting for those who use the metric system to see that there is some basis to the arbitrary system of weights and measure that others use..... even after you have been soundly defeated in every facet of a metric v imperial argument you can still walk away confident in the knowledge that if they could just change time to metric then you could work pretty much everything you need to know out in your head with the assistance of ten fingers.....

There will be pint cans in the cooler at Bonneville, if you should change your mind, but if you insist on drinking metric, well, bring your own.

By the way, the Imperial System of weights and measures is nominally different then that which we use in the US - but I guess the point of all this gibberish is that it's cold in Milwaukee today, and my furnace isn't metric.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:29:16 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3205 on: January 06, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
May I have 568 mL of Speckled Hen, please?  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Lake GAirdner weather
« Reply #3206 on: January 08, 2013, 03:23:03 AM »
Lake Gairgner: Should be no problem of the lake drying out with this the kind of weather happening at the moment, so hot the weather bureau has to add new colours to their charts!: (fyi: Tasmania is bigger than West Virginia with an area of 26 000 sq miles)

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/temperatures-off-the-charts-as-australia-turns-deep-purple-20130108-2ce33.html

Of course herein lies a new problem... will it be too hot to race in february?!!!!

"Catastrophic" fire day forecast for New South Wales today which means all the factors are right for a disaster, wind, fuel load, topography, dryness of fuel etc, and this is early in the season. Over 90 fires already burning overnight in this state alone so fingers crossed. This live map of fire incidents is pretty spooky:

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?CAT_ID=683

The one I keep an eye on is the victorian one as our farm is in a high risk area, not much I can do from the UK but watch.

Good luck to all in OZ. One big victim during the last major bout of fires were of course sheds with cars and bikes in them. I know everyone talks about losing their house as the worst thing, but many pride and joys were not in the house but in the shed. And tools. RIP.

Dik

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #3207 on: January 08, 2013, 05:07:05 AM »
Nonning (not far from Lake G ) had a max of 45c yesterday ( 113 degree Fahrenheit), if it rains on the lake with these temps, would it "case harden" the salt like quenching steel would ?
The temp had dropped to 31 today, which we are used to up there during Speedweek, but forecasters predict another few 40 + days ahead.
I , for one, hope this hot spell won't last too long, although Feb has history of being the hottest month where I live, I can't imagine Lake Gairdner being much different ?
At least a dry track looks likely this year,,,,
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline maj

« Reply #3208 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:21 AM »
there talking of another 3-4 weeks of several real hot days then a cooler one, 4 or 5 day cycle
at least its a dry heat, not much good for the fires but at least more comfortable to work in

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3209 on: January 08, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »
Nonning (not far from Lake G ) had a max of 45c yesterday ( 113 degree Fahrenheit), if it rains on the lake with these temps, would it "case harden" the salt like quenching steel would ?
The temp had dropped to 31 today, which we are used to up there during Speedweek, but forecasters predict another few 40 + days ahead.
I , for one, hope this hot spell won't last too long, although Feb has history of being the hottest month where I live, I can't imagine Lake Gairdner being much different ?
At least a dry track looks likely this year,,,,
Tiny

I get a feeling it's going to be like 06 when the salt was like concrete and the heat was insane. You need to get a hobby Tiny, call yourself a landspeed racer? ......mate, you are the only person I know who is ready to go, no the only person I've ever HEARD OF who is ready more than a month early, weirdo.