Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3190615 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3150 on: December 26, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »
Hey Bob,that is precisely why I went the hack. In 2009 when we had the rock-hard SFI tube padding on the cheek bars I got greyed out at low speed, didn't bother trying to drive through it to where I may have actually lost light perception altogether.It's one thing getting bounced around, but full on grey out is something you need to experience to appreciate fully. By taking the clearance out to barely two inches either side it will be a lot easier to clear the helmet from the padding, and will take less concentration, less stress.....I'm not being silly here, it's kind of difficult to drive when you have maybe a gap of an inch around your head (with the  threat of not being able to see AT ALL if it moves outside that circle)...kind of like driving with some boiling oil balanced on top of your head...

I also hope to tilt the side padding outwards slightly at the top such that it is flush with the helmet when the drivers head is tilted.The angle I am planning is a straight line drawn from where the drivers coccyx would be up and outwards along the face of the pad Then, if the head travels sideways with the body in the normal upright position the neck will almost follow the normal arc it would if you swayed your head from side to side, or if the whole body tilts to that point the helmet will strike flush. I'm not sure whether it's the Watussi, or what the neck movement that I'm trying to avoid is called, but as I said in last nights post it is the one that,personally, concerns me the most, where your chin travels as far or further sideways than your crown.

Only regret is that I cut that seat mount( screwed there between the cheek bars) because it was part of the old helmet pad, but I do have another idea that should look pretty neat. 
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3151 on: December 27, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »
Just checkin in onya progress Goggs, are ya done yet? :roll:
  Sid.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3152 on: December 27, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »
Sid, are you going to be on the salt this year, if so stop by the Vesco pit. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3153 on: December 27, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
I haven't missed one in 25yrs Glen so I'll visit if I get a chance. I'm aiming to have my liner ready to run so we'll see ya somewhere.
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3154 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »
Just checkin in onya progress Goggs, are ya done yet? :roll: Sid.

Get lost Sid, whadda you reckon?

a ways to go, a ways to go......

Glen if you're anything like me you'll be checkin something out and a well tanned guy with a funny accent will lean over your shoulder as ask if you're having fun yet......thanks Sid.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline rgn

« Reply #3155 on: December 28, 2012, 12:00:15 AM »
I got greyed out at low speed, didn't bother trying to drive through it to where I may have actually lost light perception altogether.

Doc, probably not greying out as that has to do with blood flow to the brain being denied by g-forces... though I have notice that when I use my electric toothbrush the frequency vibration caused by the brush to my head causes the computer screen image to distort to a significant degree.  Probably to do with cyclic frequencies?  Do eyes have a refresh rate?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3156 on: December 28, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
directly inverse to the amout of grog consumed  :-o   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:= low cylic rate
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3157 on: December 28, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »
Doc, we know the feeling, the Bockscar has less than an inch total, it is a trick to get the top, back and sides all perfect so the eyeballs can see the track.

rgn, if they stay uncaged they won't refresh, kind of disconnect from the brain and you don't see well at all.  

Keep at it guys  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline rgn

« Reply #3158 on: December 28, 2012, 12:30:42 AM »
directly inverse to the amout of grog consumed  :-o

How did you know I cleaned my beer with teeth ???   :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3159 on: December 28, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
I found a dummy and stuck it in the car to check the fit of the helmet containment....

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3160 on: December 28, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Paint it - it's done.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jon

« Reply #3161 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »
Looking good Manny Quinn.

Grumm got you rockin?

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3162 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »
Sitting in the back yard eating my breakfast and about to start a pre work warm up by cleaning up in the shed....got some paint on the helmet support stuff yesterday, but also had to re-route the fire system lines because of the change in the cab.Fortunately I had some unions for the 1/4 bundy tube where they needed to be extended because bending new ones is time consuming, and it's a given that I'll flare both ends of the first attempt with only one line nut on......as it was the extension piece I had needed three bends....it looked great, then I had to straighten them again so I could slide one of the line nuts to the end, then bend it back again.........

I have been just "putting things in place" so I can see it all....I know it sounds silly but it's nearly three years since I've run this thing  and my brain is struggling with the sequencing......

I replaced all the o-rings in on the screws in the top of the fuel tank, I welded the body supports at the rear back on, I stared at the fuel tank/pump/filter/line arrangement in the rear body, it has been a constant source of confusion, consternation and acrapolyptic catastrophisation since this project began .......yesterday was a blur really, I was in there til 10pm and ,well, I guess you all know how it goes.....it still seems like there is an impossibly long list of things to do.......

Jon, we make things, he makes them work....I just keep saying that to myself.

Colonel, I found that last nozzle.

more later :|

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3163 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »
yeah, we've all been there, 101 things to do, this always seems to multiply as along the way we find a better way, then "its done", sit back go huh :? what am i gunna do now, if i put that there and,,,,,, well you all know how it go's,  :roll: :-D :-D,,   seeyasoon Doc,,,,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3164 on: December 29, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
Yeah Ronnie, with the words of my late Dad ringing in my ears...."if you've lost something you need to look for it systematically, the best way to do that is to start cleaning up"....he was right because generally when you go looking for something you create chaos, which is good way to lose a heap of stuff...... sooooooooooo,this morning I have spent nearly two hours cleaning up , and I'm not yet done. I know this effort will pay forward in time saving, in less stress, and hopefully in injuries, less clutter? less danger.....

And, like I said before this always takes a lot of "staring time", that method is a whoile lot more effective when things are tidier...... So farewell to a bin full of grit, sh1t and broken bits  :cheers:

BTW. I was laughing at how many of those pissy side handles I had lying around for drills and angle grinders, yeah like I need one of them once in a blue moon......Then I looked at my shelving, with a bunch of 3/8 holes down the side of it ...I grabbed a bunch of M8 nuts and now have handy hanging points for leads and stuff like that.....

yeah , I know, back to the car doofus. :roll: :roll: :roll: