Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3190897 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3120 on: December 17, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
"Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why."

From those of us who understand why -

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3121 on: December 17, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3122 on: December 17, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »
Well, it seems I got the years a bit wrong....it was 2011 that the car was on the truck ready to go when it was all cancelled....and 2010 when I wrecked the last motor.....meh,what's a couple of years ...you three guys were very much the intended audience for that but as you said Bill anyone who jumps into this could get something out of it. The problem was i had a couple while I was writing that, the idea was to point it out to those who think they know what they are going to build.

I have always been fascinated by the body of knowledge that the designers of new cars have to carry with them, the practical knowledge of established rights and wrongs...you know the stuff, basic ergonomics, practical ways of doing things....the thing is cars aren't really, getting all that much better, because while they have to carry that knowledge they also have to challenge it, sometimes they win, sometimes they fail but all the time they have to keep loading the cars up with more and more creature comforts, more weight, so that the extra power they find in the same size motor just goes to towing around the electric seat, windows and air-con compressor.I wish there was a word for it but I don't think my 2012 car handles any better than my 1967 ute...weird, but true, something got lost in just the steering and suspension...45 years of development, a million more parts, no basic improvement....

WTF am I on about? Well, We are trying to go fast and sure you can build a motor that makes thousands of horsepower, or just plain buy one but you have to get it down to the track and you have to make it last, this game really is about aero and that's where "established knowledge" and "challenging the norms" comes in........We were all completely blown away by Keith Copeland's efforts this year.....inside me there is a burning sensation that wants to go really fast...I think the car we built while not being high tech has a sleek and stable shape, as good as has come before in a lakester.....I really hope that somehow we copped the right and ignored the wrong in a happy accident that might see it all come together sometime soon, and I'm starting to feel better about it.

And I ordered a new helmet last week.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #3123 on: December 17, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »
Good luck! PS, we need more pretty pictures.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3124 on: December 17, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
I was a bit sore and sorry after a rehearsal on Saturday night and was a little suspect of my ability to assemble things correctly so I pushed the Sprite of Sunshine out and sat on the lawn and just stared at it for a while, made me feel better......

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3125 on: December 17, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
I looked at Copeland's car run and said to myself, "Precious, just look at that!  All that HP and weight over the drive wheels and increasing downforce built-in and it's just dragging the rest along for class compliance.  What an idea!"

(But it doesn't translate to Street Roadster -- as if I've got enuf time to start over.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3126 on: December 17, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
Love the new wheels.  You can't even see the yellow chassis!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #3127 on: December 17, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
I looked at Copeland's car run and said to myself, "Precious, just look at that!  All that HP and weight over the drive wheels and increasing downforce built-in and it's just dragging the rest along for class compliance.  What an idea!"

(But it doesn't translate to Street Roadster -- as if I've got enuf time to start over.)

Stan

I said something that doens't translate well here!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3128 on: December 17, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
Stan

Perfectly said Stanley, it kind of makes a mockery of a lot of stuff.

three hundred and eighty miles per hour..................

It spoke to my love of Dean Batchelor's designs...the Shaddoff particularly

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3129 on: December 17, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
Speaking of front wheel drive, what happened to Charles and co's FWD bellytank?...did it sell?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3130 on: December 17, 2012, 11:02:52 PM »
John Burke has a FWD liner if he ever gets if finished----come on JB
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline salt27

« Reply #3131 on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:52 PM »

Stan

I said something that doens't translate well here!

Pay attention. :wink:

Offline Tman

« Reply #3132 on: December 18, 2012, 01:49:05 AM »
Speaking of front wheel drive, what happened to Charles and co's FWD bellytank?...did it sell?

Chaz still has it, they are hoping to be on the salt next year!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3133 on: December 18, 2012, 03:54:09 AM »
Boy, I hope they make it. I was really looking forward to seeing it run.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3134 on: December 18, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »
I really enjoyed his build thread!!!