Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3191344 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3090 on: December 11, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
Unh, too late -- but then -- this way I have very haute coture pale yellow undies.  Things could be worse. . . :oops:

B1 has moved

I haven't seen Cohen for a while. found out you can only have 5000 friends on facebook and moved on

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3091 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
OMFG Dik!  :-o  Ya bought a bloody Morrie. Have you learned to get out of the way of other traffic yet? Or has somebody fed it a 1275 to give it a chance?
  Sid.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3092 on: December 13, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
OMFG Dik!  :-o  Ya bought a bloody Morrie. Have you learned to get out of the way of other traffic yet? Or has somebody fed it a 1275 to give it a chance?
  Sid.

Sid, I'm getting worried.  He buys a car made out of trees and now we haven't heard from him in a week.

Can a 948 Morris outrun termites?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #3093 on: December 13, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
Being the son of an Agricultural Engineer researcher type, I can throw-in a bit of trivia about Yellow farm machinery. For journal publications in the 60s & 70s everything was painted yellow, coz it translates perfectly to black and white for printing. See:

Not the case anymore, but tradition sticks.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3094 on: December 14, 2012, 07:29:22 AM »
I still hate it , and I think thtat's why he did it
G

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #3095 on: December 14, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
  Sid.

Sid, I'm getting worried.  He buys a car made out of trees and now we haven't heard from him in a week.

Only when you drop the Rover/Buick 3.5l V8 in  :evil:  :evil:
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3096 on: December 14, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
It looks like he was doing the Museum tours thing, he might have become an exibit... "Ozzy goes walkabout with wooden Morrie".
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3097 on: December 14, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
  Sid.

Only when you drop the Rover/Buick 3.5l V8 in  :evil:  :evil:

for one fearful moment there I thought the Rover comment was about the bellytank, I went into cardiac arrest, refer to the hsitorical section of this thread for my deep love of Brit iron.......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3098 on: December 15, 2012, 04:53:51 AM »
I am still alive, thanks for the concern. Only concern for me though is the amount of fuel this thing leaks at top of the fuel tank and around the engine which I am fixing this weekend... both seem like common problems but need to jump on them quick. Trick is I have moved to another country and my tools have not so I am on the hunt for everything again.... plus whitworth spanners!

Seem to some reasonable job lots of tools on ebay, and I also have my eye on a nice lincoln 170 mig welder... lookout!

That said, the morrie goes, it has no trouble  whatsoever keeping up with the traffic, it is a refurbed silver seal 1098 engine and I have no problem with it. Braking is slow though with the old 8 inch drums but it does have new pads.

Dik

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3099 on: December 15, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
Metric & SAE tools should cover you ok Dik. I have some customers that bring me their early sports cars & I get by ok. Morgan, TR's, Jag's, MG's & Healey's. One thing about them is they're as simple as a Model A & easy to work on.
We only give you crap cause we like ya.
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3100 on: December 15, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
We only give you crap cause we like ya.
  Sid.

Wow, that should be the sign-off line for this whole thread........... an odd-ball bunch have assembled themselves around this car and Sid, I'm pretty sure you explained why with the least number of words possible.

I've done it once, but I often want to share the email conversations that happen in the background, but that would diminish the point of them.....this week there have been some beauties.

As you were............
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3101 on: December 15, 2012, 06:36:51 PM »
It is a good thing they are "easy to work on", they are like women, you really have to love them to keep them.
 I  have whitworth spanners and sockets  thank god I don't have to use them too often. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #3102 on: December 15, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
 Got the floor on after a struggle, it's 1/4 plate so it acts to stiffen the frame , with 1/2 inch studs welded to it it is hard to understand why it was hard to get on.....in the end I had a jack under the front of it trying to bow it slightly, yep got it, then as I was tightening it there was an almighty BANG! as it settled finally into place.....dunno if it was the beer or the tequila at the rehearsal last night but it was just as well i'd just been to the toilet cause it scared the living shite outa me, heart rate took a couple of minutes to return to acceptable levels.....

I got the axles, drums and rear radius rods on yesterday and fitted up the pedal set...

Yesterdays triumph was fitting a belt to my wamily fagon which is an enigma wrapped in a conundrum phrased as a riddle with a part number not related to it's length....it had siezed an idler pulley bearing, completely melted off the plastic pulley and mangled the belt, looks like it got pretty hot too.....no, I wasn't driving it, somebody who's car has to have some work on it was , go figure. :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3103 on: December 15, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »

Yesterdays triumph

I would like to take that out of context and run with it, however.......     Sid?

I have just been standing and staring at the engine and trying to work out how to fix the valve geometry
It would seem that the slots in the rockers were not really designed for the amount of lift we have
I have thought lash caps, those Manley Loc caps look pretty good,  which would seem to be the easy option but it would seem they all require ".250 of valve tip poking out we have ".125
The other option would be longer valves which may be the easy option because the Chev length seems about just right
But it doesn't look like I can get the same diameter in an inlet

I might go to the hot rod show at custom lane and have a think about , and then get my hair cut short, so I can't pull anymore out
G

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3104 on: December 15, 2012, 11:57:39 PM »
you can all ways grind them down or slot the rockers---or both --posted by a simple mind with too much vino--that right vino---not ceverza---imagine that!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!