Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3188964 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #3060 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
Chris could help him out with an engine
G

I keep offering to send one back with you guys.  They fit in the overhead.

If the Rev is shopping cars in Britain, have him keep an eye open for a Marina Ute.  I/PMP beckons.

Hey, Colonel, speaking of engines, what's up at the Preston Development Skunkworks?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:52:20 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #3061 on: December 01, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
Well. there's not much going on in the asbestos sheds , because two came along and removed them
In the tin shed (9' x 9') I am looking at a rev kit I have for a chev to see if it will fit in little Buick, and there is the question also of what to do with the wiring loom to make it more simple
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3062 on: December 04, 2012, 09:17:32 AM »
Ok, I have done it. I have really done it now.

I have bought this as a family car for our UK sojourn. With insurance only £190 for comprehensive for both of us driving it made so much more sense than the £1000+ insurance we were quoted for anything else. Also I can fix it myself, it's a station wagon, and there is no road tax!

1968 Traveller. some issues here and there but it is on the road with an MOT. I'll be using it as a rolling "resto" as I replace bits as they turn up on ebay and learn to weld... Bit of woodwork required but that was my schtick before Dr Goggles showed me the beauty of the hot metal glue gun.

Planning to get rid of the crossplies as soon as possible with some wider van wheels and radials, and chuck in an anti roll bar kit. I'll consider a brake upgrade in time.

As for colour I am tempted to go some kind of surf woodie theme and use the $50 roller paint method using rustoleum that I keep reading about and fill the rear panels in with timber panel as well (or to be exact a timber veneer dipped in phenolic resin so it doesn't rot...). This isn't going to be a trailer queen, I want to do some simple mechanics and mods and have a usable but funky classic everyday vehicle.

revH+

ps added a couple more shots

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:59:54 AM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3063 on: December 04, 2012, 10:10:33 AM »
Spacers for the front A-arms, some blocks between the axle and the leafs, a set of Moon discs, stick a couple of surf boards out the back, a gun rack for those trips through the Midlands . . . trips that will now seem somehow longer . . .

I think I've still got an extra dual SU manifold off of a 1275 if you think you'd like to start leaking fuel from two SU's . . .

Okay, enough jokes - it's all upside.  They're very simple to work on and maintain, they are of an easy size to park and maneuver, they're held together with common fasteners you can get at virtually any hardware store - oh, I can't resist this one - or by simply following another one with a broom and a dust pan -

But darn it all, that's one cool lookin' little wagon, and I'm envious.

Keep the rear fenders when you sell it - I seem to recall you needed two more to run SOS as a streamliner.

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #3064 on: December 04, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »
Very cool ride Rev!

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Beaulieu National Motor Museum
« Reply #3065 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
The other thing I have been doing is taking my University architectural students on a field trip to the Beaulieu Motor Museum as part of their research for designing a Landracing museum at Pendine Sands. As I am sure that many of you would like to visit this museum I am going to give a little bit of my mind about its success or lack thereof as a motor museum.

This is on a site which is an old cistertian monastery whose cathedral was dissolved by Henry the VIIth the remains of which became a manor house that is now medieval cross Scottish gothic, so there is a healthy interest in the site already. It is next to one of the most picturesque villages (which was part of the estate) in the UK with thatched roofs and large river. As most of these old estates suffered from inheritance tax killing their viability, they looked for other ways to generate money. Good old Lord Montague (now in his eighties) was a keen racing driver and decided to turn his estate into the premier location for cars and has some of the most famous cars in the country there including the landspeed favorites.

One car I have been wanting to see since I was a kid was of course Campbell's Bluebird, the one that came to oz. They have it. They also have Golden Arrow, the slug and others as well as a Mercedes worth £16million and other extraordinarily rare cars.

It is probably one of the best collections in the world, but I can tell you it is not one of the best museums in the world. The 1970's building is a shocker with natural light falling like a wet curtain over the internal space, leaving dark and dank underbellies lurking. The cars are crammed in with no real exhibition attempts to explain their histories of give some context about who drove them or any of the successful contemporary ideas of museum exhibition design (that I wont go into here).

To see a car is one thing from one angle. Most cars I have seen before on the web or in books. So it would have been nice as the car is actually there in front of you to see something other than what is already printed in the books etc. Why not show the engines by opening the hoods? why not show the underside by the oft use trick of mirrors on the floor? I am told that most of these cars are operational so why not each car have a recording of the engine running so which we could listen through headphones so that we can really experience what they are like alive? So many opportunities missed. The acoustics were poor and the pathway and curatorial arrangement confusing. It is more a case of putting cars where they fit rather than to any kind of relevant sequence or grouping.

They now have a James Bond exhibit which has brought in 15% more customers which when you look at the stats of 2011 having over 300 000 visitors (adult ticket £20) then that is a sizable interest. Lots of Astons, the underwater Lotus, stunt vehicles, even the one that did the driving on two wheels in the US was there. So again a great collection of cars and definitely people interested to see them but an absolutely lazy ill conceived presentation of them. Such a pity. To top things off this is this crazy monorail which runs through the building every 20 minutes or so opening up the building entirely to the weather. Why anyone in their right minds would want to put several hundred million dollars of museum quality artifacts in a space with uncontrolled humidity is beyond me.

The staff though were fantastic, being very generous with their time and full of stories. We met some mechanics who ended up showing the students the workshop where they were restoring one of Campbell's original Bluebirds and we were able to see it in pieces and the undersides and upsides and outsides and the skilled processes that they were able to bring it back to life. Pity the museum exhibits weren't as good, it would be much better to put the mechanics in charge of that, they clearly had the most respect for the cars and their stories. They are not over restoring the Bluebird it either, they painted it by hand in the dusty shed as that is what Campbell did. Mirror shine? forget it. The UK does very well the "enthusiast" as does the US but maybe there is a bit more eccentricity in the UK version; one mechanic delighted showing the students his scar where his flymo recently exploded taking a sizable hunk of his leg with it. He reminded me of the Colonel.

The building could be made better in a number of ways but the simple fix would be to remove about half of the cars to offsite storage. This would give space for each car to be viewed on various angles as well as incorporate all sorts of historical and contextual information. I would then replan where they all are so their are clear identifiable paths of story and work on telling that story with multimedia and images and artifacts of the day. Then I would rotate cars from storage so that it would encourage repeat visits to the museum, maybe even a seasonal display. I would control lighting better, create better floor surfaces for the cars to sit on and be "read". Finally Some boxing up of the spaces are required to control sound (particularly since so many of the visitors are school groups and they are generally very noisy.). I would move the monorail outside the building again and restore some semblance of preservation to the cars within. I would greatly increase storage as well as space for the mechanics to do their work properly. This is really what it is all about isn't it? The celebration of the mechanics' skill? Why compromise what you are meant to celebrate?

There was also a "Top Gear" display which I wont even give the dignity of commenting upon apart from the franchise has long ago lost its mojo and just recycling its past successes only reveals how dead it is today.

One amusing thing about the British is their love of dogs. Dogs were not allowed in the museum but there was a dedicated dog waiting room downstairs!

I could write for weeks about how better to use this collection as it such a good one but that sermon is for another forum.

Rev H-gash
Trying to use my design skills for niceness instead of evil

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:20:44 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3066 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
More images:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:10:51 PM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Beaulieu National Motor Museum
« Reply #3067 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »
Overall it was worth visiting though, my childhood dream come true. But I cannot feel somewhat let down by the lake of care or even veneration in these vehicles. This Bluebird is such a significant car in its history globally and in particular of the UK, that it seems somewhat sad that it is not presented as such.

One other thing regarding salt is that one of the mechanics told me while he was changing something a huge gush of salt came out of the car so even this old girl has its secret storage compartments of where it gets in. Given the accident it had and the speed at which it travelled through the stuff I am not surprised that they are still finding it.

d

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #3068 on: December 04, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »
Rev, back in the '70's, I spent quite a bit of time in Mildura Vic, there were 2 REAL flash Morries getting around that were really tricked out,,Cortina 1800 engines, flared 'guards, fats, dumped etc with brilliant paint jobs, and for a bike guy,,I was bothered by the urge to actually OWN one too.
I resisted the urge  :-D
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #3069 on: December 05, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
Yes Tiny, there are some seriously funky modified Minors out there, I particularly like the lowlight modification and am thinking what would that look like on my traveller, haven't seen that done before... (I don't know the rules yet here but other late model minor sedans and vans have had it done so why not a Traveller?) I reckon I'll need to replace my two front wings (fenders) anyway so could go for the lowlight option with a mouth full of lights.

Anyway, here's some old footage of some travellers with a bit of get up and go. Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANYcjCGzPM

Below is a lowlight example and a surf woodie style that I like too...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:57:46 AM by Reverend Hedgash »

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #3070 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
I dunno Doc, I like the Traveler with the headlights on the wings but then again its just ones opinion  :-)

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3071 on: December 05, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
I dunno. The "Low Light" version looks like somebody's mouth out of a Wallace and Gromit movie.  :roll: Wayno

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #3072 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »
I dunno. The "Low Light" version looks like somebody's mouth out of a Wallace and Gromit movie.  :roll: Wayno

Now that right there is funny Wayno  :-D

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3073 on: December 05, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »

Right there is absolutely everything about this subject in one concise line.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3074 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
   I like the idea. Maybe fenders off a 49 Chevy pickup. Hmmm? Fat fendered. Could work.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]