Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3190995 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #2985 on: November 04, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
Etta Baker - The pinnacle of Piedmont Picken’.  Thanks for sharing it, Neal!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2986 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:57 AM »
in other news
it looks  like if you are building a motorcycle streamliner you should cut it up and throw it away
the rules have changed
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #2987 on: November 05, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
Our Spirit of Sunshine friends are herewith entitled to at least there own "red letter day," as well as citations for irreverence, incorrigibility, music, travel to the other side of our globe, noteworthy consumption of quality and quantity of drams drunk, and, lets face it, I just wanted to scribble something on your 200th page to denote my utter lack of time slips.

Cheers,
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Freud

« Reply #2988 on: November 05, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
Is it true that it doesn't have to be relevant to be on Page 200?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2989 on: November 05, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Is it true that it doesn't have to be relevant to be on Page 200?

FREUD
Not only true but rather obvious.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2990 on: November 05, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »
I'm in.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2992 on: November 05, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
What the heck, seems like the same people read it and comment on it daily, besides it's a good read. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #2993 on: November 05, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
in other news
it looks  like if you are building a motorcycle streamliner you should cut it up and throw it away
the rules have changed
G

Can you expand on this? I know Jon is building a cycle.............

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2994 on: November 05, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »
Today is Melbourne cup day, a 6 million dollar 2 mile race for stayers.....holiday today, and yesterday....that means  four days in a row, rather than spend some leisure time with my beloved I elected to swap the motor in my ute. It isn't urgent, but being off the road the ute has to be parked in the driveway, when it doesn't run AND i have a motor trans in the way it gets pretty annoying

A friend gave me a motor trans combo the same as what is in it, "bewdy" I thought I won't even have to swap the sump....

After I'd got up and down off the ground three hundred times(yes, doing it in the driveway as a certain bellytank is in the shed) It occurred to me that although it was a "rear" sump that maybe it wasn't the "right" ..."rear" sump.....putting a sump and timing cover gaskets along with a rear main on a Holden "red" straight six is easy on a full dismantle.....with the timing cover on and the motor hanging rather than on an engine stand makes it a sketchy job at the best of times..... that is all I am going to say about that.

Just did a benefit gig outside the Maribyrnong Immigration Detention Centre on a 10 minute call, thanks Dan, did the same on Sunday with twelve hours notice and played "S-s-s-ssingle bed" on the radio.......

Time to go to the pub and have my one punt of the year, to the Organ Failure Lounge at the Brawlbrook Hotel in Braybrook.

BTW: I can't see any logic in the rule change for the bike liners, none.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2995 on: November 05, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »

After I'd got up and down off the ground three hundred times(yes, doing it in the driveway as a certain bellytank is in the shed) It occurred to me that although it was a "rear" sump that maybe it wasn't the "right" ..."rear" sump.....putting a sump and timing cover gaskets along with a rear main on a Holden "red" straight six is easy on a full dismantle.....with the timing cover on and the motor hanging rather than on an engine stand makes it a sketchy job at the best of times..... that is all I am going to say about that.

It’s the jobs like that – the ones that circumstances require you to do in the most compromised manner – that drive me up a wall.  And yet, the tasks need to be accomplished.

This one falls clearly into that twilight zone – that grey area - that exists between ones ambitions and abilities, and ones common sense.

Can open – worms everywhere – along with what I’m sure are a bunch of inquisitive neighbor kids standing around, wondering what you’re doing.

I once did a starter refit on my first MGB in 6 inches of snow in the parking lot of the apartment I lived in.  I’d been riding the bike up until the day before – the snow caught many of us by surprise.  No jack stands, inadequate tools, frozen fingers, grime all over the engine and bay.  I went inside to put on a pot of coffee and came out to find the snow plowing service had pushed half the snow in the parking lot directly in front of what the driver thought was an abandoned car.

Enjoy your holiday, mate.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2996 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:20 AM »
you guys better watch it are you are going to BLOW right through 200 to 1 to the 2 :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline racergeo

« Reply #2997 on: November 06, 2012, 01:22:35 AM »
  Rev'd the buggery out of it, nearly blew the engine. Funniest thing I've ever heard in Straliar. Hope it makes page 200 LOL

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #2998 on: November 06, 2012, 05:50:28 AM »

Wonder how the tide is Ross?

[/quote]

take ya time, its still in, and plenty to come from up there,, :-(
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2999 on: November 06, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »
in other news
it looks  like if you are building a motorcycle streamliner you should cut it up and throw it away
the rules have changed G
Not only if your building, even if you own one now.
There is no Grandfather clause, so there is no streamliner bikes currently legal.
Yes; I am going to finish my bike.
No; this is not 100% why I've not been doing much.
I will run somewhere.
Wonder how the tide is Ross?
Jon

I didn't send you an email, or mention it on your thread for reasons of diplomacy. You and Ross, and every other owner have every reason to be very annoyed. Has anyone been seriously injured by a structural failure in a liner due to the tubing in a roll cage yielding?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.