Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3192820 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1155 on: May 22, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »
:-D  La la la la la la la - everybody,  join in the chorus - it's a drinkin' song! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I was watching this auction, and I was thinking, if he doesn't wind up in a bidding war, or some knucklehead doesn't try to scoop 'em, he's going to wind up with a bargain.

Congratulations to team Sunshine.

And for the rest of us, we'll be booking flights to Melbourne tomorrow to attend both the Doctor's funeral and Deb's court date with the magistrate.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #1156 on: May 23, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
I got some pics of the chamber on the heads we're bidding on, you can't fit any bigger valves than the one's they've squeezed into 'em, nice porting and blending too.
oooh ---so we are trying to give the V-6 a bigger bite and a louder bark for next meet----you load that puppy up with the taller gears----an I bet we see and smell more oil next year... :-D sounds like more fun to me

Last year it sounded like an old 173ci holden six thru a hot dog muffler
The first time we started it this year, you could tell it was going to be faster
to quote Goggles "this certianly converts hydrocarbons into motion much better than than my last car"
G

That is a great one, worthy of the Bonneville Quotes post.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1157 on: May 23, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »
Darwin is in the Australia far north at the end of the road according to my atlas.  A remote location, for sure.  Probably one of the last places in the world to expect to find nice ported and valved cylinder heads.  Do they race there?

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1158 on: May 23, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
Darwin is in the Australia far north at the end of the road according to my atlas.  A remote location, for sure.  Probably one of the last places in the world to expect to find nice ported and valved cylinder heads.  Do they race there?

In remote parts of Australia the population is very sparse, however many strongly suspect that the hot cars per head of population vastly exceeds that of the coastal areas.. There a many mining operations in the Northern Territory, Western Australia and South Australia( them's states ....with names thought out by creative genii) and anywhere there's a mine there are all the engineering resources that make running a race car of some type plausible, plus high wages ...and not much else to do except work and race or build...
I got some pics of the chamber on the heads we're bidding on, you can't fit any bigger valves than the one's they've squeezed into 'em, nice porting and blending too.

The first time we started it this year, you could tell it was going to be faster
to quote Goggles "this certainly converts hydrocarbons into motion much better than than my last car"
G

After we'd started this years motor the first time I looked over at the Colonel, who is not the kind of guy to get over-excited ...he was looking at me with one raised eyebrow....and he said to me , with a slightly raised pitch and an enquiring tone  that was more an answer than a question , " is that louder than it was last year?".......I , who am the kind to get a little over-excited was already laughing and to be exact ,the quote was ," F*** YEAH! that's certainly gonna convert hydrocarbons into motion much better than my last car"......

Just a simple example of more noise=more energy.

I bought the 28 spline axles we need for the 10 bolt diff, hopefully Sparky will be able to find us a 2.56:1 set for it . Then our next few years are planned out. This year we sort the oiling and run the new heads for 2011. The next year we run the 2.56, the next year we go to the 2.56 and the 2.41 .....by which point we hope to have our blower sorted out....step by step.........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1159 on: May 23, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »

Darwin can be described as Australia's  deep north. If you had seen the movie Wolf Creek? It was banned in the Northern Territory (not even a state) because the government believed it was to similar to the events leading to a court case at the time of it's release
It's only recently, and with much reluctance, that the government there introduced speed limits on the open road
Yes they race there
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1160 on: May 23, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
and if they really get it sorted out with the blower---2.28 and 2.14s are available  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1161 on: May 23, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »
What about the tyres?

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1162 on: May 23, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
What about the tyres?

$ willing they will be organised..........I need to speak to them folks again.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1163 on: May 30, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »
Darwin is in the Australia far north at the end of the road according to my atlas. 

ya know the term "end of the road" and the name "Darwin" conjure up the possibility, backed in part by personal experience that it's a "backwoods" place, Darwin is a looong way away , from pretty much anywhere....

It's not like the tropics in far north Queensland( which are pretty), Darwin is flat, murderously hot(in the middle of winter) and can turn on stupefying humidity. I've only been there once , it was to play music , the stay did not pass unrefreshed in true Darwin tradition, I ate six meals while I was there........four of them were Barramundi, which isn't just a delicacy, it's very forgiving to the cook..... It doesn't matter if they're nine parts cut , with one eye and have never seen a BBQ......the "Barra" will be delicious...... we had mixed drinks at the Darwin Yacht club watching the sunset and got about five hours sleep over the 48 hours, then we got back on the plane to Melbourne . Now, due to it's low standing on the pecking order of Airports and some other reason I can't remember flights into Darwin tend to arrive in a bunch, generally around 11-midnight and tend to leave at about 1-2am.......

That means that a two day stay, with little sleep and a busy schedule of drinking  is guaranteed to upset your body clock and general function for a good length of time ..I only need to hear "Darwin" and I involuntarily run my hand through my hair and shudder .

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #1164 on: May 30, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »
I think my Dad had a similar reaction to Darwin. He was there in the Navy at the end of WW2.

He spoke of the bugs that plagued their lives on the ship, of earning extra money by washing out peoples sweaty hammocks in the showers, and of crew members fillings falling out from siphon petrol with their mouths.

Needless to say he never went back.

Dik

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1165 on: June 02, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »
The heads turned up today , and they look just like the photos funnily enough......

So, we'll be selling the cam we used this year (hey, it's only done about 30 miles) as it is a profile ground for hydraulic lifters and getting a billet cam most likely something like this one....but specifically for the solid lifters and bigger valves

Profile          Actuation             Make/Model           R/Ratio
          1644a            Roller Follower Holden V6  3.8              In1.6 Ex 1.6
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Cam Lift   Duration    Duration   Valve   Valve    Lift      Phase
                       Adv           @050     Clr    Lift     tdc        <)
  Intake     361        300        249      0.016    0.5616    113        107
  Exhaust    361        300        249      0.016    0.5616    098

Timing                  Timing
                             Adv                    @ 0.05
                          Open      Close        Open      Close
           Exhaust      77 Bbdc     43 Atdc      53 Bbdc   16 Atdc

Intake       40 Btdc     80 Abdc      19 Btdc    50 Abdc

83                  35
                          Deg Over-lap        Deg Over-lap

Intake Centreline  105.5        Exhaust Centreline  108.5

we considered it for this year, the extra expense of it having to be cut from fresh stock as opposed to a regrind was the decider on top it being pretty extreme when we had close to stock heads........So that means another set of push rods........

So , we're getting there now. This year we fell short of the 200 mark , let down by an oiling system and lifters that really, were made for grocery getters.... we had more comp , we had a cam designed to make power higher in the rev range, a better inlet and exhaust but we still had stock valves, stock lifters and stock rockers.

For next year we're hoping the motor will still be pulling past 7000rpm, we hoped that this year, but for next year we'll be a little more confident. So with the 2.77:1 diff and the 28inch tyres our co-efficient of speed is about .0301mph per revolution...... 7 grand with no wheel slip will give us a bit over 210, 7200? a bit over 216 and 7500 will get us to 225 or so... I'm thinking 215 would be pretty ambitious for next year......... for 2011 we'll be going down a few steps final drive wise to 2.41:1 and those speeds would translate to about 241,248,259.

Now , I'll be the first to admit that's a grey area as to whether our motor will pull that ratio .......but when we put the blower on it we might just have a chance....

"some may say I'm a dreamer"

The Colonel dropped over on the weekend and we went out and stared at the tank, we talked about the way it drove this year....how i'd given it a fair bit of toe-in. We reasoned that was a bad idea....and that the steering train could be better. Currently we have a steering box from a VW van, but when we were building the Rev bought a rack from a 911 that has the pinion at right angles in the centre. The Colonel insists we'd be way better off with it, we rejected it during the build because the boots would hang outside the bodywork. To be dead honest I'm not in any hurry to drive the car the way it was this year at any speed much above what I was doing.....I'm a thrillseeker , but there are limits.

So I'm gonna have a look around at Stilletto racks as well, the 911 rack is fine , but it's big, if we can fit it all inside the tank it would be a whole lot tidier aero wise.

That's it for now folks.....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:23:11 AM by Dr Goggles »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1166 on: June 02, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »

To be dead honest I'm not in any hurry to drive the car the way it was this year at any speed much above what I was doing.....I'm a thrillseeker , but there are limits.

What was it doing?---was it doing its "own" walk-a-bout?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:40:19 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1167 on: June 02, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
well kinda, the first hundred miles were "bucket chain" where they were handed man to man , then they put them in a papyrus crib and floated them about fifty miles , then there was the camel section , then the bit where they tied each one to fifty carrier pigeons , closely followed by the magic carpet part, that got it as far as Alice Springs , where I probably don't need to point out to you they attached a large spring to each one and dribbled them down the Sturt highway.....

They were posted , 2511 miles at $1 a llb...........

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1168 on: June 02, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »
well kinda, the first hundred miles were "bucket chain" where they were handed man to man , then they put them in a papyrus crib and floated them about fifty miles , then there was the camel section , then the bit where they tied each one to fifty carrier pigeons , closely followed by the magic carpet part, that got it as far as Alice Springs , where I probably don't need to point out to you they attached a large spring to each one and dribbled them down the Sturt highway.....

They were posted , 2511 miles at $1 a llb...........

You mailed the car down the salt?  Well, don't that take the rag off'n the bush . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1169 on: June 03, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »
got some more ink...

http://www.fuelzine.com/issue-04

that's four mags this year...gonna need some new tricks to stay in the running next year.