Author Topic: Another Newbie question, this one about production motorycyles  (Read 1708 times)

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
Another Newbie question, this one about production motorycyles
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »
The only way to learn is to ask questions. What modifications can be done to a production motorcycle that will keep it in production class, the engine specifically? I have the LTA 2010 rule book and it states any performance modifications must be out of view. What is considered class limits for engines displacement? I.E. what is the max displacement allowed for a 750cc class engine? I understand that production class must have stock external appearance. Can builders port and polish? Can higher lift/longer duration cams be used? Can compression be increased? Can these mods be completed without putting the engine into the modified production class?
Sorry for all the questions in such a short time. Thanks again.

Offline 55chevr

Re: Another Newbie question, this one about production motorycyles
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
what is the max displacement allowed for a 750cc class engine? 750cc
Can builders port and polish? Yes
Can higher lift/longer duration cams be used? Yes
Can compression be increased? Yes
Can these mods be completed without putting the engine into the modified production class?  ?????

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »
What the Rule book said about appearance is pretty spot on---the bike must appear show room stock required mods not withstanding---and you can use clip ons  ride height changes ---very iffy has been my experience
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »
Nope, no height changes - other than whatever the manufacturer says is the "ground clearance" range in the sales and shop literature.  In the case of our ZX14 -- the literature says the clearance is adjustable -- but the shop manual gives only one height.  We're therefore stuck with what came from the factory.  It's an inch or so too tall for Nancy, so she's had to figure out how to overcome that issue.  Clip ons?  I don't think so. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com