Author Topic: Early Ford Spindle Questions  (Read 12199 times)

Offline mrfab

• New folks
Early Ford Spindle Questions
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »
I'm planning on using a set of early Ford (32-48) spindles from Speedway Motors on a lakester axle I am building. I have a couple of questions

1: Does anyone know the king pin angle? (kp vs spindle)

2: Does anyone sell the bosses separately? (it would be nice to have the retainer bolt holes already in place)

Thanks
Charlie

Offline hotschue

Re: Early Ford Spindle Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »
Charlie, I used early Ford spindles....King Pin to spindle angle was 7 1/2 degrees.  Built my own front axle, bought ends from AA Manufacturing....
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline mrfab

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:28:03 PM »
Charlie, I used early Ford spindles....King Pin to spindle angle was 7 1/2 degrees.  Built my own front axle, bought ends from AA Manufacturing....

Thanks for the info. I found AA's website and they don't seem to have those kingpin bosses listed anymore. I'll try calling them.

Thanks again

Offline mrfab

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »
Does anyone happen to have the dimensions for the spindle bosses? Specifically, the length and bore dimensions.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »
I  would go with a oem ford spindle they are forged. cast spindles scare me but thats me.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 07:02:48 AM »
I machined my own bosses for my streamliner out of 1.5" dia. solid 4130. I used Deuce Factory's spindles, they are 17-4PH stainless steel. I measured the spindle and the bearing total height and added .003 for clearance for the length of the boss.. The front axle is 2.0dia. x .250 wall tubing. Built a simple fixture to hold the assembly for welding. This IS a part that I sent out to the heat treater, I'm NOT that brave.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline mrfab

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
I machined my own bosses for my streamliner out of 1.5" dia. solid 4130. I used Deuce Factory's spindles, they are 17-4PH stainless steel. I measured the spindle and the bearing total height and added .003 for clearance for the length of the boss.. The front axle is 2.0dia. x .250 wall tubing. Built a simple fixture to hold the assembly for welding. This IS a part that I sent out to the heat treater, I'm NOT that brave.

Joe,
Is your axle 4130 or mild steel? What camber did you set up?
Thanks

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
Check out Speedway Motors in Nebraska. They list both Ford and Chevrolet spindles, complete axles, (straight or droped to your width), bosses, etc......Just a point: Fords are timken and Chevrolet are ball......One has less rolling resistance than the other...........................Good Luck..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »
The axle is 4130...I'll have to check the angle...it has been a while...the project has been on hold for a year while I build a new fab shop.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »
Several years ago I was told by Honest Charlie that the king pin angle in the spindle was 8 1/2 degrees and the king pin boss angle was 8 degrees to get 1/2 degree camber.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
Part of the above question was spindle boss size. In the latest Speedway Book (Hotrod Version) look on page 25.

That's why I made mine (although the data was from an from an earlier catalog) 2 3/8" long with a 13/16ths" bore out of 1 1/2" diameter  chromoly round stock bought from Aircraft Spruce in Corona Ca.!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 06:41:39 PM »
IB, do you mean this chart??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »
MIKE!

You da man!!

Like Fleud says, research, research, research!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)