Author Topic: Bike vs Pit Bike  (Read 9131 times)

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
Bike vs Pit Bike
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
Last year a motorized pit bike came in real handy. This year Ed brought a bicycle while I borrowed a friends little 125cc Suzuki dirt bike. In practice it seemed team members reached for the bicycle rather than fire up the motorcycle. Then after someone rode onto a hot track, AMA the helmet/safety gear rules in the pit became a subject for greater enforcement. I have no debate concerning those rules but it sure made riding a motorized pit bike more inconvienent. What we discovered was the bicycle offered a very reasonable alternative. Easy to get-n-go, a breeze to pack and haul, and great for the most common pit errands... fetching timing slips, rider meetings, part searches and honey pot runs. STD has found them cheap and reasonable at garage sales, and just had one donated by putting the word out. At those prices there are no salt corrosion concerns. I'm just saying that we found bicycles a great, inexpensive, reliable, alternative to the traditional motorized pit bike. (And I found out that old guys do remember how to ride them and kinda enjoyed the throw back to my youth.)
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Bobby c

Re: Bike vs Pit Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
Bruin,
I think you are spot on!
The pit bike crossing the hot track was a very big deal as far as the AMA, FIM, BUB and the Track Control personnel were concerned.
Every registered rider is 100% responsible for the actions of their crew, fam & friends.
More than one rider has lost his or her racing privileges because someone in their crew did something stupid.
In the six years I have been launching bikes at the BUB meet I have only seen a few teams that truly needed a motorized pit bike at an on course starting station.
Great advise!
How about a contest for best pit bicycle? Sponsors any one?
Bob

Offline 754

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »
Anyone got a pic of my all rust 40s ballon tire tanker, with the white Fat Frank tires I took to Bub in 08.. that was a great one..

had a motored barstool too that year..

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
I always thought a trike would be great. Some place to carry stuff and even provides a seat when needed.

A nice vintage one would be even better.
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:15:10 AM »
Careful Cole ... My 80 year old mother uses one just like that to go to the grocery store ...

Offline baron

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
What i found incomprehensible is the amount of people who thought this issue had anything to do with a pit bike/motorcycle.
It had to do with communication. it could have been a bicycle, car, or all terrain skateboard.
This is a communication issue and only a communication issue.
Thanks again to BUB for running another fantastic event.
Baron

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
Bruin and Bobby we are with the bicycle idea 100% for some of the reasons you stated. Just jump on and peddle to where you want to go, no fuel to worry about, super easy to transport across the country, and its even healthy for you to use. Hey Cole - I like the trike idea, maybe a home made version.

Yes Baron, I think most people know and agree it was a communication issue - Its people who do not think its important to be at the riders meeting, every morning, not just the first day.

Up with Peddle Power - saves gas - we need it to race.

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
The riders meeting at Bubs was mandatory for everyone first day ... after that new registrants mandatory ... the change was the "All riders" meeting on Monday ( I think it was Monday) to reinforce the required helmets on pit bikes rule from AMA Ken ... Right after the meeting a young lady about 18 pulled up on a scooter with shower shoes and no helmet .... definitely fanned the flames ... The AMA is specific in requiring helmets on all motorcyclists and pit bikes are motorcycles. It is one of the those deals where you dont have to like it, you just have to do it ....

Joe

Offline bak189

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »
I totally agree with the helmet rule for riding in the pits.......BUT it would have been nice if we were told about this rule PRIOR to the event.  Not a day into the event.......is this again one of AMA Ken's make the rules as we go along?...Sorry,
but "Question Authority
Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:57:29 PM »
PS. To the above post.....how many years has the BUB event been running?????  How many years has
AMA Ken been steward?????  Now one day into the event we need helmets to ride the pits.....don't get me wrong I am all in favor of this safety rule.......just don't like the way it was mandated...................

May have been better...."next year helmets will be required when riding a pit bike"

Kind of makes you wonder what other rule changes can be expected in the future at mid-stream!!!!

"Question Authority..........Always"

Offline joea

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »
baK,  consistency can be admirable...

i admire you...

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
As I remember the last five years the pit etiquette rules were gone over each year. The registered rider is responsible for his crew. AMA Ken is not making things up as we go, I would believe.  It seems like each of those years there was a pit bike that was ether speeding through the pits or just doing something with out using the brain.
Again, that's why its important for everyone to attend the riders meetings.  Geeepers, we even had a rider go so far off coarse that it went from the Mountain short course into the median and from what I heard even entered the International Course for a moment before returning to the median and finally being stopped at the tower. 
Again, not only attending, but paying attention at the daily riders meetings is paramount.  It is the best way to keep this a safe - fun event.
 Just my humble opinion -   :cheers:

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline bak189

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »
Hey, I just call them way I see them......I have worked with the AMA on the sidecar rules in the past
and we have always been able to get together in the end................I just don't like new un-written or new announced changes a couple of days into the event.  If it involves the event insurance.....so be it...
.....but that must have been known prior to the event............this is not a big thing....and like I noted before, it is a good safety procedure.........That't all from me........................................................

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
is there a law in the state of utah that requires people riding dirt bikes on the salt to wear a helmet.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
The biggest problem that I saw in 3 Bubs events with pit bikes was kids riding in the pits ... the helmet rule seems like overkill if pit bikes are ridden at reasonable speeds in the pits but I am okay with it ... Jim, only the first meeting was mandatory ... the second mandatory meeting was added for the pit bike deal ... although it is not a bad idea to attend daily if you have no crew responsibilities.