Author Topic: Bike vs Pit Bike  (Read 9109 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Bike vs Pit Bike
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »
It's a ongoing problem at most events. People don't control their own kids or crew in some cases. At El Mirage it is wide open and helmets are required by everyone that rides bikes, quads etc. The Rangers write tickets and even impound vehicles.

At Speed week and the world finals we have two ambulances and two fire units. There are always some kind of incident in the pits and the 2nd unit is stationed there. The rule for no riding in the back of pick up and on trailers is there because someone or  got hurt or worse.

Speeding on the return road and access road to the start line is common. I see it all of the time and say something on the CB. Most slow down but others ignore the fact and we have a rover talk to them.

The rules are there because they are necessary. If a rule needs to be added during the event it's for a good reason.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
in california the only offroad toy that you are required to wear a helmet on when riding is a quad. you are not required to wear a helmet on a dirt bike.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
interesting logic ... 2 wheels no helmet ... 4 wheels helmet ... same Suzuki engine except 2 wheel is faster ...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »
At El Mirage it's posted that helmets are required on the dry lake bed.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mkilger

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
its on the sign on the way into El mirage (no Helmet no ride) Racefanwfo show me were california dont require you to were a helmet on a dirt bike, I bet your dead wrong

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »
This was not a new rule to this year. Ken announced it in 2009 at the drivers meeting because of what he was seeing then. I don't recall if it is in the entry packet but willing to bet it will be next year.

In the pits a bicycle works for me. If I needed to run from pits to starting line, etc. maybe a pit bike; but I would rather jump in the truck so that I have everything I may need.
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline racefanwfo

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
i just got done looking at the rules for riding at elmo and the only machine you need to wear a helmet on when you are riding there is a quad. i even looked at the rules for hungry valley ohv there also no helmet is required unless you are riding a quad. i also talked to peggy at the elmo visitors center just now and she asked the ranger on duty and he said helmets are not required when riding a dirt bike. helmets only required when riding a quad. so glen you are wrong.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
Post #19

It's posted and I have see the rangers pull them over and in a couple of cases write them up
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline racefanwfo

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
i am not telling anyone not to wear a helmet when riding a dirt bike that would be stupid. i always wear a helmet when i ride offroad. all i am saying is that there is no law that says you need to wear one when riding a dirt bike offroad. the sign at elmo that says no helmet no ride pertains to quads only. i will say this once again peggy at the emlo visitors center asked a ranger about wearing a helmet when riding at the lake bed and the ranger told her the only machine you are required to wear a helmet on is a quad.

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Cole you are spot on - Ken goes over this every year. That is why I say its important to go to the riders meeting every day. Course conditions and or some unforeseen act or occurrence may need to be discussed and remedied. Some one in your crew needs to attend every morning.  
Elmo, Speed Week or World of Speed, BUB are all different venues - but the fact remains, like Glen said - The rules are there because they are necessary. If a rule needs to be added during the event it's for a good reason.
And I say,- just deal with it man - I do not think any one of us would want the BLM or an Insurance issue shut down any of these events as a result of noncompliance of some very simple rules.
And in closing - I like our bicycles - don't have to worry if its gonna start, its easier to transport across country, and it saves gas - we may need that saving in the future to keep racing.

Jimbo

P.S.  racefanwfo - do you really think you need a law, or explicit event rule to tell you to do something that in your own mind you know you should be doing ?
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline pookie

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »
  Hi Racefanwfo,  I would like to say to you and especially glen TGVOB and his mini me, mkilgor that you are CORRECT as far as the law is concerned at El Mirage..
You CAN ride a bike on the dirt surface WITH OUT a HELMET   PERIOD!!!!!!!  I too called and talked to the "Law Enforcement Officer, all thru Peggy, and your information is entirely correct... SOOOOOOO it looks like OL glen and his mini me kilgore have AGAIN put out "BAD INFORMATION" in an effort to push their agenda ...  I only wish you had a bet with those two, I would've enjoyed watching the pay off....  I just wish those 2 clowns would check their facts before they start posting .  By the by, I can remember seeing John Noonan and Van Butler riding their "pit bikes" without helmets at El Mirage.. I would also like to say that on the Monday before Speed Week started , I received 2 phone calls from racers who set 4 records at Speed Week, and probably hold betwen them 30 records over the years, looking for "pit Bikes"to use at Speed Week.... Has anybody got a clue as to how much MONEY the SCTA_BNI make in gross dollars from the spectaters and how many other venues they support at Wendover...  I also agree with you on your support of every body wearing protective gear.. If you don't, you either have rocks for brains or you are Loony- Tunes.. Mike R.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 03:37:58 PM »
Yes you are allowed if over 18 to ride a two wheeler at El Mirage without a helmet, when I push Michelle back after she or I have made a pass no helmets are worn, is it smart (probably not) however we are running 15 mph or less on the return road and are constantly looking for kids, dogs and remote control cars getting in our way on the return road as well as other SCTA racers. 

This is a BLM rule that many long time SCTA racers and officials are not aware about, over the years Michelle was "asked" where her helmet was when coming to pick me up on the return road.

I do not believe anyone is trying to send out "BAD INFORMATION" to the racers/public..just some were not aware of the current rules...

Noonan

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »
OK I was semi wrong, the under 18 helmets are required and so is anyone under 12 requiring a adult with them at all times.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 04:15:30 PM »
Bak,
Last year we were also told to have helmets when riding pit bikes at Bubs.  They just did not enforce it as strictly as they did this year.  

I predict next year if you are caught riding without a helmet it will be a warning for first infraction and kicked out of the event and/or fined for the 2nd infraction.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:36:53 PM by nrhs sales »