Author Topic: Parachute Launcher  (Read 9798 times)

saltfever

Parachute Launcher
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »
I am looking into the pneumatic chute launcher by Stroud. It operates on 150 psi air pressure but there is no mechanical backup in case you lose air pressure. It is a single point failure with no redundancy. Has anybody, using the Stroud system, come up with a mechanical (or other) backup plan?

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Re: Parachute Launcher
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:45:55 PM »
We use a launcher but also a pilot chute. We've had a launcher failure and the pilot chute still pulled
the chute (bag) out of the can. I can give you a hint about our launcher if you want the info. Send a
personal message.
Ed

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »
The Amo Steele Streamliner has air launched chutes with a third chute with a spring and pilot for a backup.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
I am not convinced I would want an air launcher unless I had a mechanical back up or pilot too.

Just as I don't use power brakes, I use mechanical brakes with redundent master cylinders.

My Stroud LSR Chute works GREAT (no launcher, but hey my max speed in the Stude is calculated at 225 with E motor)  If I put the big motor in after SW 2011 , you can bet I add another Chute.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

saltfever

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »
I don't have the Stroud launcher so I don't know its mechanical design. I was thinking of adding a latched, conventional-chute-spring into the package. But don't know the design or feasibility. I am not required to have a second chute and was trying to avoid going that route in order to get redundancy.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:32:26 PM »
It still has a spring pilot chute so there will be deployment...just not as fast.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

saltfever

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
Joe: The air-launch system has no spring and pilot chute. That is why I started this thread.
              http://www.stroudsafety.com/DragChutes.html

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
How about set up a mechanical push rod activated by a pull cable to serve as a mechanical backup for the air launch piston.

If you can provide enough push so that the chute "falls out" of the launch tube it would open just slower than the way it was intended.

It seems like there would be some way to mechanically push or pull the chute bundle out of the launcher if the air system fails.

The other option would be to put a fitting in the back of the air launch that would pressurize the launch tube independent of the pusher piston. This would depend on the air supply part of the system still being functional but would be an alternative to get the chute out into the air stream.

Larry

saltfever

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:54:43 PM »
Larry: Stroud told me the cylinder is pressurized to 150 psi. The cylinder looks to be about an inch or so in diameter so I assume there is about 150 lbs of force pushing out the chute. I don't know if the high pressure is used for speed or there is that much resistance in the chute tube. The push-rod deal might not work well if there is that much resistance. Maybe pack a couple of valve (or die) springs in there someway might do it though. I like your idea of a backup redundant air supply.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:56:58 PM by saltfever »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »
He also has a new spring system that launches pilot only that we are using it has a air release that can be backed by mech---that is what we are going to.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

saltfever

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 01:10:44 AM »
Thanks, Sparky. I didn't know that.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:56:28 PM by panic »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
The Vesco #444 liner uses a air blow out for the pilot. It shoots it out about 40 feet and in turn pulls out the main canopy. Both the low and high speed chutes employ this system. The system has a manual over ride as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

saltfever

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:21:13 PM »
Panic: I was thinking of plumbing in two systems. Another supply cylinder with its own line tapped right into the deployment cylinder. IOW, the deployment cylinder would have two air lines. Each line would have its own on/off valve. Driver would only actuate one valve. The other would be the backup. But I don't like the idea of a single deployment cylinder.

Glen: any chance they might be kind enough to allow a picture of the mechanical mechanism the next time you are over there?

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »
That is weird...the one I have does have a spring...have to ask Bob.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com