Author Topic: Where's my begging bowl? (requesting donations)  (Read 3424 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Where's my begging bowl? (requesting donations)
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:41:47 PM »
I feel real uncomfortable going this, but I'm gonna do it anyway...mainly cuz I haven't been the only contributor to the BUB coverage.  Joe, (55chevr) busted his hump to transcribe radio reports of runs that were often garbled and incomplete.  He did this out of the kindness of his heart and I think he deserves to get his gas money covered. 

I've had a coupla kind donations, and I'll probably supply some photo requests via email when everyone gets home.  But I have expenses, too. 

So I'm gonna swallow my pride and hold out my begging bowl and ask for "alms for the poor."  I actually did this in Morocco back in the hippie daze...I think I made a whopping 20 Francs over a period of 3 days.  But I learned what it was like for the beggars on the street and in the cazbah (covered market place) in Marrakesh.

So if ya feel like making a donation, send it to Slim and he'll distribute the wealth after he gets his 2/3 cut.  J/K.  He's a fair guy/

Ok.  Begging session over....but donations would really be appreciated.

Offline 55chevr

Re: Where's my begging bowl? (requesting donations)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:10 AM »
Ray .... I came to event as a competitor and crew member ... I was able to report when I wasnt racing or working on my brothers bike ... I did what I could as I am sure others have and will continue do at events when they can ... No compensation sought or expected ... anyone so inclined should forward it to Slim for the continuation of the website ... the pleasure was mine ...

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:22:19 AM »
....and ours!!  Thanks you guys for all the terrific coverage and photos!!  You have redeemed yourself Joe!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:04 AM »
Thanks guys it is really appriciated to be able to have some live updates on the happenings.

Alms from the poor have been sent.
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:06 AM »
Joe is a class guy, always there to help. It's people like Joe who make LSR events happen. Thanks, Joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »
We're up to six donations since Ray asked for you folks to show a bit of (financial) support for his work.  Please consider coughing up for Ray -- he'll be doing photos at WoS, the Shootout, and probably World Finals, too.  He had some cheap lodging (donated by a racer) for part of Speedweek -- but otherwise he's been paying for room and board out of his pocket.

Thanks, folks.  I appreciate the donations you've sent to me for the website, and also the ones you've sent through Paypal here for me to give to Ray.  We enjoy this -- but please help Ray be able to afford to continue his work for all of us.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
We're up to six donations since Ray asked for you folks to show a bit of (financial) support for his work.  Please consider coughing up for Ray -- he'll be doing photos at WoS, the Shootout, and probably World Finals, too.  He had some cheap lodging (donated by a racer) for part of Speedweek -- but otherwise he's been paying for room and board out of his pocket.

Thanks, folks.  I appreciate the donations you've sent to me for the website, and also the ones you've sent through Paypal here for me to give to Ray.  We enjoy this -- but please help Ray be able to afford to continue his work for all of us.

As an interested observer, I can certainly attest to Ray having a few less than stellar nights in jack rabbit flats. It seems the person in the next tent over opened the "Salt flats sawmill" and proceeded to rick out a few cords.

Then there was a slight wind issue.
If Ray was younger, like say, 50 or less, his body could recover faster.
It's just part of the ageing process, that all the good times when we were under 30 seem to catch up with a vengence.
Regards,
Jim

Offline joea

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »
for sure.....

the images we are blessed to have are often so priceless for so many reasons...

..one there just cool as heck to look at..

..also they often tell quite a story...

..to be able to see the hardware and engineering that enable the speed..awesome..

.many pictures might not be that important of meaningful to some, but the one or two
that facilitate ones own excitement and or design process/dreams is really groovy...and
were dang lucky to have that without setting foot outside the house...daily/hourly etc from
these events...

THANK YOU

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:11:09 PM »
What Joe said x 2. :cheers:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
yeap, we could be glad to have Ray the Rat on the salt.

He is luckily in the position and can do,

what I could never do, due this that I would never had a chance to run the necessary equipment at the salt coming over from Germany,

keeping us update in words and pictures over Landracing.com....and here also a big thank you to Jon Seldom Seen...that he kept the website alive after Jon Amo had to step back.

Once, my picture also reach the racers - with some delay - depends how my work keeps me busy and away from any work with the "salt".......Unfortunately, this work keeps me last year so busy, that I got just in the last moment my picture finish, to take it to the Speedweek....and there are still not the one for the public.....means the one which had to go into the Gallery from Landracing.com....I hope I can give Jon the CD at the World of Speed...to keep my promise..... :roll:

But the job which Ray the Rat is doing, is totally different to my work......he is today the live reporter for all of us who had to stay home.....and due to this that I know his health situation......he has to work very hard for that.....he is really though....from time to time I have to remind him in a note that he has to step back a little bit and recover (I like to say him hello when I be back in Salt Lake  :wink:)....

Thanks to Ray the Rat - and this time also to Joe, that he used his spare time to hit into the keyboard... :cheers:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)