Author Topic: Comp Coupe windshield height.....yes another question...  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Hans Blom

Comp Coupe windshield height.....yes another question...
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
So in Comp Coupe in either Vintage or Modified you must have a minimum of a 5inch winshield height. Say you have a '32 fod glass body( yes i know 685 times less aero than all other CC cars..) How exactly is this height determined? I see measing from the cowl to the top of the glass or lexan used. If it were a normal Henry Ford with a metal winshield frame you would measure to the bottom of the top of the winshield frame which is where the glass would end, pretty much...but if you are opting to not use a winshield frame and instead bolt Lexan to the fiberglass flange with sealant, your "glass" is an inch higher than if you had a windshiled frame. SO, would you measure from the cowl to where you can see through the Lexan...or should I make a metal trim piece bolted to the outside of the lexan to at as the measuring device and make it look oh so authentic at  a 37 foot glance?

I've read through every top chop thread on this board with no mention of this. And as well an still not 100% sure on whether  you can lean back the windshield while keeping the front and rear chop equal to preserve the original contour....pretty sure you can.

Hans
Proud owner of the last Red Hat given out on the last day and last record run of Bonneville Speedweek 2010

Offline dw230

Re: Comp Coupe windshield height.....yes another question...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
Hans,

The measurement is taken from the available viewing area. If covered by header, trim, etc. you cannot look through it, not taken into account. Measure at center of cowl, perpendicular to ground, 5" minimum height.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
Dan , thanks....so the cowl only comes into play to say where , side to side , the windshield is measured.....so get in the car look out front and measure the daylight height in the center of the cowl....

You tha man, Hans

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:25:58 PM »
Check thru Pork Pies pictures (and others) and I believe there is a coupe with a leaned back windshield which is legal...There may be a few more in the Bonneville programs; it will help you with what others are doing and what Dan lets them "get away" with.......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:41:37 PM »
Yeah Jimmy, seems there are lots that are slanted, but then you get posts saying you can't do it because of it isn't consistent with the same 'contour'...

Offline RICK

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »
Hans,,,,  I applaud your choice.

Rick
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »
If you have a 2010 program or any program for that matter look at the comp coupes...none of them keep their same profiles even the Studies...Guys don't add the metal like they did in the 50's they just cut the doors and lean back the "A" piller to meet it or worse.

look at 595  Bonneville Spitfire or 771 Kilmer and Sons.......................both are legal??????????????? Contour, what contour
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »
I applaud your choice too, Hans--my new Vintage class car uses a T Coupe body, and it WON`T be cut like Gene Winfield`s.....Look forward to pics of your project......with any luck I`ll figure how to post photo`s as well and add something to the mix...

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:01:38 AM »
The T coupe will be easy. Straight window posts will retain the profile/contour beacause the top has to come straight down, same relationship as OEM. No angle in the chop to slant the top forwarrd.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
Did I understand correctly that laying back the windshield does not change the contour.

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 12:47:50 AM »
Not on a T coupe.

Since '63

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 01:25:49 AM »
Yep, Dan, it`s already done...a foot lower actually. And Freud....I take your point regarding the fabulous aerodynamics of my body choice.....