Author Topic: Production class questions  (Read 5156 times)

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
Re: Production class questions
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
You are right on the 500 number in GT also. I'll have to rethink this plan.

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
Are you allowed to run a different displacement engine in production class than what was available in the body style, Or are you limited to the production engine?  I am discovering that there are alot of questions on my part and I thank everyone for thier patience.

LittleLiner

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »
Are you allowed to run a different displacement engine in production class than what was available in the body style, Or are you limited to the production engine? 

Yes and Yes.  Now that may seem like a strange answer to an either/or question.  To be more specific - you can change the displacement of the engine that came with the car but it must be an engine that was available in that model.  Example - If you have a Camaro that came with a 327. you can bore stroke that engine to whatever size is possible and in the process maybe change displacement class but remain in the Production category.  You could also make the engine smaller if need be to drop down a class or two. 

So . . Yes you are allowed to run a different displacement but it must be an engine that came with that car, that year.  The key here is that it cannot be an engine swap.

See SCTA 2010 rule book page 71 under Section 5.E near the bottom of the page:  "A different displacement size of the same  design engine may be used provided it does not constitute an engine swap as defined in Section 4.N."

Also - if per chance you are also considering the GT classes there is a variation on this where engine swaps are allowed in GT as long as the engine came from the same manufacturer.  (example - you CAN put a Buick engine in a Corvette in GT)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »
Dan -

Your response, #5, is probably the most concise definition of production class body limitations I've seen put to print.

You spelled out in 10 paragraphs what I've been trying to suss out for 6 years.

I'm tempted to print it, frame it, and hang it in my garage.

Thanks!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
Chris,

The thanks go to my trusted minions, little yellow guys with one or two eyes.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Are you allowed to run a different displacement engine in production class than what was available in the body style, Or are you limited to the production engine?  I am discovering that there are alot of questions on my part and I thank everyone for thier patience.

Thnks for the reply, I have the Loring Timing Association 2010 rulebook. This is my closest venue, (about 4 hours away, I actually grew up in Caribou, next to Loring) and I want to try and run up there. I keep reading this rule book over and over, there is so much info to absorb. I appreciate all the anwers to my posted questions.