Author Topic: Production class questions  (Read 5160 times)

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
Production class questions
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
I understand the concept of production class bodywork being stock/from the factory. Is there any wiggle room, for example a 1999 Mustang Cobra has a different front bumpercover design than a v6 or Gt front bumpercover. Can you interchange items like this if it is from the same year and body style of vehicle??

Offline dw230

Re: Production class questions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »
As long as the car is in the same body family, such as GM F body or G body, any OEM pieces are interchangable. Must be OEM available.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RICK

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
Like putting a 32 grill on a Model A???

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:38:58 AM »
Only in the Production Roadster class, if you can find one.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »
I thank you for the answer DW, much appreciated.

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
After some further thought and consultation with a respected friend I decided that my original answer may have been short on detail.

Therefore:
In production classes, no mix-n-match configurations of  a vehicles body panels are allowed. You have to pick a year/model and stick with it. 

In production class you have to present a "production"  vehicle for inspection. We don't require that you have a real one  (matching numbers)  but your replica must be aerodynamically identical to a genuine production vehicle, other than the allowable mods spelled out in the rule book. 

If you are presenting a vehicle to compete in production supercharged then the body configuration of the vehicle that was supercharged from the factory must be used. If that vehicle had some funky front spoiler you must also have it in place since all genuine production supercharged versions of the car had it from the factory and you are presenting your vehicle as a production vehicle. Non-aerodynamic mods are not required so you don't need a real matching VIN number car but your vehicle must be aerodynamically identical to a stock  version of the car you are presenting to compete. You have to take the good with the bad in production class. 

Here is an example of what you can't do:

Imagine in 1999 a manufacturer made a supercharged version of a basic model sedan.
The supercharged version came with a different nose, side skirts and a huge whale tail in the rear. all bolt on parts but every supercharged car came with them and none of the N/A cars did.
The base version had a simple nose, no side skirts and no tail.

If you want to enter this body style in Production supercharged it must have all the bodywork that the supercharged version came with. You have to take the good with the bad in production class. You get the supercharger motor but you also get the body kit.
If you want to enter this body style in basic Production it CAN'T have any of the  bodywork that only came on the supercharged version. again, you have to take the good with the bad in production class.

No pulling a "clean" nose from a base car, a supercharged engine from a model that only came with a huge nose and whales tail is not production.

Aerodynamics is king in land speed racing so a Production class vehicle MUST have all the misc aerodynamic killing do-dads in place because removing them is what takes you out of the production class.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RICK

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:52 PM »
Thanks Dan,,, I was kinda being a smart a$$,,  You cleared it up very well.

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »
Dan:

Production rules sometimes read to me like the bike rules  :lol:

Couple of years ago didn't someone (?Banks?) set diesel pickup records while running the aero fiberglass goodies that were only available on the super-duper V-10 model??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:32:25 AM »
I got BIT by this rule on a few of my own cars years ago too..

you are suppose to show photographic  proof of the example or kit or option..

you also have to use ALL /EVERY one of the pieces in the kit / option

you CANNOT just pick and choose certain PIECES of the add on parts and not use others that were included
nor should you mix two or more different kits ( to take all of the good stuff from each kit ).

and then, once it is accepted by DW,
 you are not suppose to change it and jump around in class....

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 07:07:38 AM »
OK, this is interesting. I know I am just beginning to grasp the class rules.

To be more to my point on body style. In 2000 Ford released 300 Cobra R model mustangs. These had a different nose and rear wing. If I understand correctly I can have my car look identical to this body and run in the E/PRO class with my 3.8liter drivetrain. Correct me if I am wrong, and please add guidance and direction if my thoughts are incorrect.
I am interested in starting a build, not looking for records, just looking to get my feet wet (at the Loring event) and I am thinking of going in this direction.
Your input is very helpful and again I thank you in advance.

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »
Dan,
You are definately the MAN in my book! Thankyou for that lengthy, clear and precise explanation. Now If the rest of the rule book could be written like that.......It would be golden!
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
"In 2000 Ford released 300 Cobra R model mustangs"

Hmmm doesn't that butt up against the 500 vehicles of the same model for the general public statement in the Production rules?

And I see that they came with no back seat....GT rules?

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
Thanks for the stroke.

Not written by me but by one of my trusted minions.

No, he will not write each and every sentence in the rule book.
DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »
I realised the error of my ways when I was reading my rule book at work and noted the 500 unit minimum.
So I need to look into my next option.  I will start reading the GT rules as suggested.

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »
Whatever you do don't make your decision on what I typed as I know less than nothing.

Tho I think GT has the same 500 number  :|