Author Topic: How do I find out what set the record???  (Read 7997 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: How do I find out what set the record???
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »

Tom, aren't the records from USFRA recorded with the SCTA records?

FREUD

Yes, but I don't know how much information is shared between the two organizations, as far as make of engine, make of car, etc. And yes most cars that run USFRA run SCTA also.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:38:52 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »
Wouldn't you want to know type of engine, body mods, etc.?

Not every one uses a small block Chevy, full belly pan or takes complete advantage of available aero mods allowed by class rules.

DW

But in Production Class, that doesn't play into it.

saltfever

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
I think at least engine(ie 4, 6, 8 cyl) & displacement should be available.  But from what I am finding out from other posts, there are no allowed body mods for production class.
Displacement is listed for every record. Engine size A,B,C, etc. LSR is all about aero & HP. To keep things simple, Body type could be added. Knowing body type and speed you can calculate power fairly accurately. Knowing power it is up to you to decide how many cylinders you need to get it. I would like to see a "Body" column but anything else is nice but unnecessary complexity.

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »
Tom, et all,

The same impound people work the USFRA meet. Same paperwork, same tools, same sign, etc.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »
I think at least engine(ie 4, 6, 8 cyl) & displacement should be available.  But from what I am finding out from other posts, there are no allowed body mods for production class.
Displacement is listed for every record. Engine size A,B,C, etc. LSR is all about aero & HP. To keep things simple, Body type could be added. Knowing body type and speed you can calculate power fairly accurately. Knowing power it is up to you to decide how many cylinders you need to get it. I would like to see a "Body" column but anything else is nice but unnecessary complexity.
Ok I understand your point on deciding cyl. count

saltfever

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
If we knew the body you can search to find out it's CdA. The record gives exact speed and with both info you can get power. Some people pull two cylinders out of a V-8 to get into a lower displacement class. Others will run a regular V-6. Some V-8s have been cut in half to run as 4 cylinders. It would be impossible to accurately track detailed engine configuration but it is irrelevant anyway. The essence of your question is what power was used to get the record. That is why body style (i.e., CdA) is so important because it is the missing part of the power equation. Knowing body class, the rule book tells you everything else about its modifications, or at least, the maximum allowable mods. In many cases not all allowable mods have been used.  :wink:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 01:10:01 AM »
Tom, et all,

The same impound people work the USFRA meet. Same paperwork, same tools, same sign, etc.

DW

Does the USFRA give the SCTA all of their information? Or only the records to be posted in the rule book?

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline lcorriveau3

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:51 AM »
Salt, You are right.           "The essence of my question is what power was used to get the record."

I have to say I am learning alot about the addiction people have on this site. I never realised how easy it is to get entrenched in researching a set up.

Your statement on engine configurations is quite interesting. It's interesting to hear how many different ways/configurations engines are set up to run.

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 06:44:13 AM »
How about a photo of the record holding car in the speed week program.

Now only the name and record is given for each class....the pre entry's, if they want, get their picture in the book. It would be tough the first time but easier after the first year.

Akk
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »
How about a photo of the record holding car in the speed week program.

Now only the name and record is given for each class....the pre entry's, if they want, get their picture in the book. It would be tough the first time but easier after the first year.

Akk

I second this idea!
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

saltfever

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 04:03:49 PM »
Akk , as you well know, just look at the amount of paperwork already in impound. Then after the back-up run, even more certification after inspection. I certainly support the idea of a record photo and I would like to have a photo also, but I feel there is a point when how much do you ask of a volunteer organization. And what is the purpose. With a little research and effort there are enough photos by Ray the Rat and others that any individual can put a “face” on a record in the past few years. The daily run sheets posted on the SCTA web gives all the car numbers and most free-lance photos show that number. Forums and blogs can also fill in the blanks. If somebody wants to go for a record, the upfront research is nothing compared to how much effort will go into actually running LSR. So how much burden do we want to put on SCTA vs. leaving a little home-work to the individual. The easiest way to accomplish the photo request would be to have a full-time(or volunteer) photographer in the inspection/certification line after the back-up run. Then it has to be coordinated with Dan’s paperwork, and forever be attached or tagged to that cert. You could also make a digital file mandatory as part of every entry form. Then a volunteer would have to spend copious time organizing everything and connecting the dots after the meet. Look how much effort and time it takes now to just get a simple timing tag to everybody after speed week. If a person wants a picture bad enough let them put some effort into it. Why ask SCTA to carry that burden.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 04:11:01 PM »
Salt fever,I agree with you. Every hour that it takes now would just add to the burden of getting everything done and out in a timely manner. I see no need for the addition of the car type in the rule book either. The pages are full now and would require a lot of editing to each class more pages and smaller print to get the car type on the same line.

My vote is NO !!
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
Gee I did not want to get any one up tight....What happens to all of those pictures sent in with pre entry's?...Who puts together the speed week program? I am sure Jim Miller has photos of every car that ever set a record!   Maybe the record holders should give a photo to the speed week program people....

Akk
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline Freud

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »
When one sees the fotos that are presented to the editor of the Speed Week program and then to think

that another set would also be presented, I can see the editor turning to boxed wine to embellish

the headache he already has.

I suggest that homework is the answer for the person who wants the info.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »

Gota back up what Fleud says. Do the research.

There's an absolute wealth of photographic data past and present available thruout the internet.

Sumner's great website with his directory of cars broken down by car number is a great start and for those interested the study of aero effects, the Harnick photos on SC TA's site after El Mirage are great to peruse because of the dust trails. And SSS and RTR's great stuff etc.

The program compositor is a rather sensitive chap and goes way beyond 100% in his efforts to track down data and photos of the entries each year plus dealing with folks who want their stuff published in exchange for free advertising. The program would be the size of a phone book.

(The boxed wine reference is probably close to the truth ). He don't need no more stress.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)