Author Topic: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage  (Read 57427 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
Re: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
So I am doing a rain dance here in Wisconsin to try to pull the rain away from El mirage. I know it doesn't look good but my plane tickets are purchased already. I am there for the weekend.
I am really trying to see if I can still get a rookie pass if the show goes on.
Can someone recommend a place to stay and possibly a place to rent a motorcycle? If I have a couple of days to kill what would one suggest I do?

I guess one can  :cheers:

Thanks
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

idefendm

« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »
Days Inn, Adelanto is the closest accommodation to Elmo. If the SCTA event is called, treat yourself to a nice weekend elsewhere. There not too much to do in Adelanto.  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
Ditto!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
So I am doing a rain dance here in Wisconsin to try to pull the rain away from El mirage. I know it doesn't look good but my plane tickets are purchased already. I am there for the weekend.
I am really trying to see if I can still get a rookie pass if the show goes on.
Can someone recommend a place to stay and possibly a place to rent a motorcycle? If I have a couple of days to kill what would one suggest I do?

I guess one can  :cheers:

Thanks
Burton

Vegas is only three hours away.........nice way to spend your time if you can't race!!!!!

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

idefendm

First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2010, 12:26:57 AM »
Uh, please don't worry about a thing. I'll have this figured out in no time.  :-D
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0450%281986%29025%3C0371%3APEOLE%3E2.0.CO%3B2
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:35:09 AM by idefendm »

idefendm

Change of Venue
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
The venue for the First Annual United States Motor-Scooter Land-Speed trials, originally advertised as El Mirage Dry Lake, has been changed. Our organization took a radical approach to the BLM's closure of El Mirage. Instead of waiting for the BLM to decide, contemplating canceling the event, rolling over entry fees to 2011, and leaving racers hanging until the eleventh hour to possibly be greatly disappointed, we immediately commenced working on Plan "B"! Before proceeding with our plan to change the venue of our November 21st event we considered travel distances:

Albuquerque (Elmo 732 mi.; Devore 734 miles)
North Hollywood (Elmo 76 miles; Devore 63 miles)
San Diego (Elmo 151 miles; Devore 117 miles)
San Jose (Elmo 357; Devore 389 miles)

The slightly longer drive for NorCal residents seemed negligible, so we proceeded accordingly.

I am pleased to advise our change of venue plan from El Mirage Dry Lake to Mother Road: Historic Route 66 is in the issuance phase. We fully expect the issued permit to be forthcoming well in advance of our event date.

If you made reservations at Days Inn, Adelanto, CA, please send your confirmation number and full name registered under. Event Exec. Kathleen Hilz will be calling Days Inn Corporate in an attempt to transfer all reservations to the Days Inn about three miles from the venue.

To our knowledge this is the first event of its kind -- motor-scooter land-speed trials on Route 66! We're pretty stoked! In fact, Carl Hancock, Scott Hamblin and I walked the race course Friday. Pix attached.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:24:14 PM by idefendm »

Offline pookie

« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2010, 02:15:19 AM »
 WOW,the change to old route 66 from a wet El Mirage is some really GREAT out of the box thinking!!!! I believe everyone who is involved with the event, participant or official, or spectater now knows why you are the "MEISTER",Mister Alan Spears.. Congratulations, Mike R.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »
Days Inn, Adelanto is the closest accommodation to Elmo. If the SCTA event is called, treat yourself to a nice weekend elsewhere. There not too much to do in Adelanto.  :roll:
As a resident of the above mentioned burg,I can confirm that! :-D
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
WOW,the change to old route 66 from a wet El Mirage is some really GREAT out of the box thinking!!!! I believe everyone who is involved with the event, participant or official, or spectater now knows why you are the "MEISTER",Mister Alan Spears.. Congratulations, Mike R.
+10! Alan,you are The Man! I've used that little stretch of road for years as a place to 'blow the carbon out'. Pretty good surface too. Gonna bum out the pole smokers over at Queer Creek though when the road gets closed! :-D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:22:30 PM by RIFLEMAN »
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

idefendm

For the record
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »
For the record:

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: fergs57@aol.com
Cc: office@scta-bni.org; reyres@san.rr.com; miriammacmillan@me.com; rileylsracing@sbcglobal.net; blattin69@yahoo.com; "Carl Hancock, VP Operations" <carlhancock@motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org>; "Michael E. Turner, Esq." <MichaelTurnerEsq@motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org>; "Kathleen Hilz, Event Executive" <kathleenhilz@motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org>
Sent: Sun, November 7, 2010 10:36:02 PM
Subject: Fw: First Annual U.S. Motor-Scooter Land-S peed Trials, November 21st 2010

Dear Mr. Ferguson,

Attached for your perusal is an e-mail I sent to Tim Hough at BLM as regards our intention not to race at El Mirage on November 21st.

Sincerely,

Alan Spears

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2010, 10:06:21 PM »
Nevada is great and has some open roads that can be closed with a permit from the county for the road the county is in..

J

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »
I've got a question on the title of this thread...How can it be the "1st annual"?  Don't you need to do it twice first?...If the second on never happens then it's only the first and not annual...............Picky Picky :evil:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline FADED

« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »
Rain is in the forcast for this weekend? I was wanting to go and spectate, will you run in the rain?